Where do i start?

UKULELEz

Reaction score
My lanikai soprano is tuned and ready to go, i know the names of the strings, ive learned a few chords, practiced a bit of finger picking, learned how to play mary had a little lamb on the A string, but where do i begin? Whats the first song i should start out with? How do i know how much time before each strum? Where do i go from here?

I would try Aldrine's Uke Minutes at the underground main site www.ukuleleunderground.com (under Ukulele Videos) and work from the earliest ones forward. Great 2-3 minute lessons that start off very basic but build on each other. Then jump into the Uke Lessons to learn some songs.

Hi UKULELEZ,

sounds like you've made a good start!

Just find a couple of really well known songs - an old folk song like "Skip to My Lou", "Hush Little Baby", "Jamaican Farewell", "You Are My Sunshine" etc...relatively easy 2 and 3 chord songs that most people know.

That way you can get used to playing a whole song right through and that will also boost your confidence and get you looking for more!! :)

The other thing to do is get on you tube and watch the many tutorials for beginner uke posted there; also try googling up beginner ukulele lessons...There are many members here that teach, like Uncle Rod etc... Plus there is Aldrine who has many video clips and tips right here on the UU!

Also, there is a vast array of beginner uke song books (eg. Jumpin Jim's "Tips and Tunes", Mike Jackson's "Uke 'N Play Ukulele etc etc). Maybe find one with a CD accompanying the book so you can get the feel of when to change chords and the structure of different songs. And of there are lots of DVD's to help get you going.

All the best with your learning, keep at it!!! Like anything in life, the more you practice the quicker your progress!!!

Keep us posted on your progress. There are many wise heads on the UU who are willing to share their knowledge with those of us in need of it! :eek:

Over the Rainbow was my first song. It's pretty easy.

Pick the style of music that you like the best - rock, old rock, folk, country, spirituals, tin pan alley. Play stuff you love and practise will be fun.

All the stuff on the internet and especially UU is great. I started with those but decided I wanted to take lessons from a pro. It's really helped me! You might want to look for a group class at a college, adult ed or your local music shop.

Happy playing! Seems I can't play the ukulele and not smile!

My lanikai soprano is tuned and ready to go, i know the names of the strings, ive learned a few chords, practiced a bit of finger picking, learned how to play mary had a little lamb on the A string, but where do i begin? Whats the first song i should start out with? How do i know how much time before each strum? Where do i go from here?

Aloha UkuleleZ,
Good choice starting off with childrens song as it reinforces the basic foundation of uke
playing....Rhythm and timing.... go to..
go to Fretplay.com and search childrens Nursery Rhymes and click chords or tabs...
go to the site and scroll down for the songs...
Good Luck and Have Fun..."Keep Strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Last edited:
Top Bottom