Yubikake (Finger Guard) for the Ukulele?

mackie

UU+
Reaction score
When i was just starting playing the ukulele, after 1 to 2 hours of practice per day, i developed a small quite tolerable blister just below my index finger. That's the part of my palm between my index finger and thumb that slides and presses on the back of the neck the most. As a newbie, i associated it with settling in with my ukulele playing. But i had to suspend practicing for a day or two to heal the blister.

Nowadays though, as thicker skin at that part refine and improve play comfortability, another concern came up. As you shift from chord to chord up and down the frets, i think moist hands like mine does impede with accuracy when playing ukulele.

I thought of buying fingerless gloves or cutting up the fingers of a glove that already have to address this. But after looking up online i discovered Yubikake. A finger guard used with playing a Japanese shamisen. I thought it could help a lot with the sliding and chord shifting even skin blistering for people just starting to play. I would like to ask all your opinions about it.

showing the right and wrong way of wearing it

inst03.jpg

here it is up close

450px-ShamisenBuskerPittStreetSydney.jpg

i dont know it you could see it but here it is being used

I was asking around if anyone in my family knows how to knit. I was hoping i could ask them to knit me one. Unfortunately no one does know. :D So i might just cut up one of my gloves to look like a Yubikake.

I'd like to know your thoughts on Yubikake.

I never thought of something like that, but I can see how it would be useful for the reasons you mention. Amazingly enough, I couldn't find ANY place to buy one online?! Googled, Bing'd, & searched eBay - no-one seems to have a Yubikake?!

I guess that the cutting up a pair of gloves will have to be the way to go to try it out.

I too have 'sweaty palms'. This Yubikake looks like a great idea.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Let us know how it works for you.

Keep uke'in',

I too have 'sweaty palms'.
Do youy find that with sweaty palmss come a stickiness on your fingertips? When i am taking my fingers off a string it sounds like i'm pulling off and an unwanted sound is made. When my hands are dryer it's ok but...Does anyone out there chalk up their fingers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a callus (not sure of spelling?) in between my thumb and index finger so that would be helpful

Ah the Japanes have some great solutions to problems..
Btw I have an artist reccomendation which I remembered when seeing the Shamizen. Yoshida Brothers. It's not uke but Shamizen. But they are true masters of their instruments.And I would not be surprised to find them regarded as living national treasures of Japan one day..

Top Bottom