Over Drive + Ukulele = ?

Kanin

Reaction score
Will it work?

If you have an acoustic-electric it'll probably feed back. Solid body ukes are great for playing around with distortion and other effects.

Yes. I find overdrive and fuzz sound the best with my SBT pickup. Distortion is pretty fizzy, but maybe with a different pickup things would change. Feedback will be harder to fight, but I haven't found it THAT much harder to fight. An anti-feeedback notch keeps things under control for me. Try it. You're not going to break anything unless you push a nice acoustic amp super hard and blow out the tweeters (at least I've heard you can do that).

It is awesome!! But like the guys above said solid body wont feed back as much. Eleuke is quite cheap and will be perfect to play around with distortion.

I have a Jupiter Creek baritone and Risa tenor, both solid-body steel-string ukes. I play them through a couple of amps - a JS8 eBand for one - and often crank the drive up, or use an amp sim that has fuzz or distortion built in. Reverb, echo, chorus, flange, delay - use all the effects. Sounds great. Not at all uke-ish, though, sounds just like an electric guitar. But when you want to play the blues, there's nothing like a bit of overdrive to make it dirty.

if you get feedback - stick a drinks coaster or beer mat (or even a playing card) over the sound hole

We've collected a bunch of videos on our site of people using all kinds of pedals with EleUkes. One of my favorites is distortion + wah wah as shown by Pedro Da Silva (jump to 0:50 to skip his intro, 1:40 for wah wah, 2:26 for shredding, 3:00 for left hand only...)

Top Bottom