OOPS- bought another one

TCK

Reaction score
How are there 7 Ukuleles in this house now? OK- truth be told, I have built two of them (CBU and CBU resonator)...but this is getting silly.
Anyway, I decided I needed a banjo uke...almost went with one of Dave's (and will in the future I am pretty sure) but I fell in love with a 90 year old Maybell.
SO- here's what I need- anyone playing one of these? I need measurements at the 12th and some bridge ideas. My bridge is tiny at this point (well under 1/2"- 3/8" I think) and the action is at 1/8th (a little low for a rookie like me). I have no idea what I am doing with this thing so any help on set up would be great.

Speaking of Dave, perhaps he'd be willing to make you a bridge specifically for your b-uke. I'm sure he'd be fair with the price.

Hey TCK,
Good for you that you got another uke! How about some pictures? As for the bridge, I know ukuleleworld.com carries banjo uke bridges.....Hope this is helpful.
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/Banjo-Ukes/

Best,
Ryan

p.s. when are you coming around to the East Bay for a jam?!

Hey TCK

Congrats on the new Uke! I tell myself I have all that I need now, but man, I keep looking! The UAS is strong in me!

Looking forward to some pictures

Joey

Hahaha- Yeah, UAS is bad here too- wife has a spruce top lacewood soprano on the way (she needed on upgrade so her Makala could go to my classroom)...and then I am DONE
Here is my new friend- buzz is definitely at the bridge (I think it is a whittled down violin bridge)...new one in the mail as well.
Not bad for 90 years old
Just did the fretboard tonight. Flattened and re-crowned for the first time ever and I think it came out all right :)
180U-1296_front.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking little thing! Man, I needs me a banjo uke!

Oh- yeah you do. When I get the buzz outta this thing, I don't know if I will ever put it down again...sooooo much fun
Really though, spending all night in the man cave fixing her up and chasing buzzes is a huge part of the fun

If the buzz is in the body a higher bridge should fix it. Papa's Boxes ukes use a bridge just a bit higher than 1/2 inches as is the one on my banjo uke from Tyler's Mtn. A four string banjo bridge will work and is available from Janet Davis. Roy
Cone has them to for the banjo uke and has other parts too for banjo uke.

Oh- yeah, I don't know if I will ever put it down again...sooooo much fun

Just curious, how much does she weigh? All that metal...

She ways a TON- feels like a boat anchor in my hands, but fortunately the metal bits act as bracing when I hold it (I can pin one of the brackets into my elbow and it never slips). Other thing is the neck is about half the size of my Martin, it is TINY up there at the top frets where us newbies like to play (makes the Martin Soprano feel like my tenor), but I am getting the hang of it- got the split stroke down tonight (George- I am coming fer' ya).
Seems a higher bridge was just the thing. I got a Grover 4 string, made a few adjustments, and she sings like new. Now I figure I will lower it just a hair tomorrow, and restring as these poor strings have been off and on about 15 times. I also tightened the ORIGINAL head and didn't tear it- used a tuner and hit an "A"- banjo sites say that is where you want to be and she sounds right to me.
Funny, I was going back and forth on resonator or not, and this thing is so dang loud w/o the reso that I had to stuff me flannelette nightshirt in the back of it to play tonight. It actually hurts the ears of someone who has listened to punk rock for 30 years...amazing.

Aloha Dave,
Congrats on the new purchase and getting it back into playing condition it deserved.....I'm thinking of getting one too, just never found the right one yet...I'm not looking for one
that weighs as much as a boat anchor.....but the other way, as light as possible..not sure, jus looking at the Rover...any idea's on a light banjo brand??? MM Stan...

I wish I had played enough to know Stan. this one took a while to fix up, but she is a dream...heavy as all get out though. I am betting Mainland's will be a lot lighter from the looks of it- just wish the resonator came off. Waverley Streets look a lot lighter too.

Here's a sound file with her- still figuring out this TINY neck, but i think it ain't half bad:

Top Bottom