solo or group

Reaction score
A question for all uke players out there. So I have been playing the ukulele for about 2 months now. I am on my own in learning this except a few things here and there from my uncles that play guitar.

Ok so my real is question how many people just play on there own by themselves as the lone wolf uke player Or does everyone have a friend(group) they can play some uke with. Because right now im looking for other uke players in my area but I am still the lonewolf uke player (or do i just move to hawaii jk).

Also
Im a high school student so its hard finding groups that are close by. Most the groups are mainly people who are 21+ and thats a requirement lol

I just want to know though are you the LoneWolf uke player or the social uker?

I'm a lone uke player. I play bass in groups. I have a friend who is a decent guitarist who bought a uke about 6 months ago but doesn't really play it. So I am the only person I know of in my town who plays. I sit and figure things out on my own. I am to the point now where I think I would progress a lot faster if I was playing with other people, whether they were on ukulele or guitar. It would help me stretch out of my little things that I always fall back on.

I'm the "Lone Wolf", but I've managed to get some friends into it, and I tried to join a group in my area and got told I was too young - I'm 28! Hopefully, the friends who might be getting Ukulele's for Christmas will form an online group with me and we can jam that way!

As a senior member in more ways than one, young folks are encouraged in groups I play with.
The ukulele is a very social instrument. Playing in a group is fun and a great way to learn.
I enjoy my solo time playing and practicing, but it is getting together wih friends (old and new) to play music that makes it all worthwhile.

Getting together with other uke players is great fun and as mentioned a great way to extend yourself. Sorry your group thinks you're too young. Our group, MUK, will take all comers, of all talents and it really adds to it I think as soon you arent the worst one there :). Mind you it's an hour and a half trip there and nearly 2 hours home cos the trains are more infrequent in the evening, but for me it's worth the trip. I often only stay for an hour but hope to stay longer once the days are warmer and longer.....roll on summer on the southern hemisphere.

Last weekend our group, the Blue Mountains Ukulele Group, went out to Bathurst which is about a two hours drive. I played open mic with Andrew then with my group, who numbered 22 on the day and then we had everyone on stage for one set so we had over 35 uke players together on the stage. After the gig we sat around and played songs and people joined in and dropped out for hours.

Playing with others drags me along as I see what they are doing and try new things.

So I just love playing in a large group where you get a wall of sound.

I'm a bit of both. I came to the uke fresh having played guitar. I picked it up pretty quickly, but did about the first years practice at home, building up a repertoire of songs.

A friend I gig with on guitar used to play the uke and we got talking. She dusted her childhood uke down and started to have a practice too.

Now when we impromptu gig, I often take a couple of ukes along with guitars, and we will do a spot on those as well.

Never played with more than 2 ukes though

hi MysticalGoldFishBowl

I've played uke alone since I took it up a few years back, but have always been frustrated at not being able to play with any others. Mostly because people thought the uke wasn't a really serious instrument and just wanted me to keep playing guitar...but these past months I've changed the situation by advertising for members in the community to join in a informal uke group at a local community centre. It's now up and going with a small group of us who meet weekly, youngest member 11, oldest well into there fifties. It's so much fun playing with others!!! I feel that now I have the best of both worlds.

Are the other groups you mention 21+ because they meet in a bar or something? Seems silly to me because they are cutting themselves off from introducing this beautiful, humble instrument to the next generation...

I pretty much play on my own most of the time. Amazingly, there are few fellow PA resident ukers that are close and we have been able to get together about once a month for jams. It has been nice getting out and playing some tunes with others.

This thread has been dead for a while but I thought another new person might see it and have the same question. I'd suggest you do the old-school thing and put up a flyer at the YMCA, your church, or the music store in your area, also try social media like NextDoor, if they have that near you, pick a public park or a library conference room or something like that and just start going there regularly, eventually like-minded people will find you. When I was starting, the only club in town was using Meet-Up to publish their gatherings, with only very rarely an occasional free ad in the back of the local free weekly paper to recruit with. Took me about three months to find them and start attending regularly as a raw beginner.

Kinda stumbled onto it - when I retired, thought I'd be spending my time on the golf course. Used to jam with my friends maybe 1 - 2x/year. One day after Tai Chi class at the rec center, saw a lady in the class carrying a ukulele. Asked her & she said there's a group that jams after class & invited me. Started playing with them & through that group, got invited to play in several other groups. Now play with a bunch of folks I'd have never met otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom