Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fan Stroke is best played continously throughout a song

• The Fan Stroke is annoying and should be used like cheap perfume

• Total voters

GreatGazukes

Reaction score
I've taken to the Fan Stroke and am not sure if it can be overused??

So I thought a poll may reveal the hidden sentiments

I've taken to the Fan Stroke and am not sure if it can be overused??

So I thought a poll may reveal the hidden sentiments

First poll entry and I have no idea what it is?! :confused:

Thanks for the video explanation, didn't show up when I first saw your post...

You're missing a poll question: "The Fan Stroke is a very cool strum, but is easily overdone and is best used as a "Condiment" ". That would be the answer I would pick, were it available!
It is said that if you can master the Fan Stroke, every girl will want to be with you, and every guy will want to BE you. Or, the other way 'round, as the case may be.

Last edited:
After I read this thread this afternoon, I started messing about with this strum, which I hadn't really worked on in a long time. I think I got better at it this afternoon than I ever had before. I've actually got the above video with the banjo-uke bookmarked, but I hadn't watched it in ages until I saw this post. That is a very helpful demonstration! Anyway, all my messing around this afternoon resulted in this:

You're missing a poll question: "The Fan Stroke is a very cool strum, but is easily overdone and is best used as a "Condiment" ". That would be the answer I would pick, were it available!
It is said that if you can master the Fan Stroke, every girl will want to be with you, and every guy will want to BE you. Or, the other way 'round, as the case may be.

:agree:

good call Chris! to go with the condiment metaphor...too much salt wrecks the meal, but the right amount makes it taste sooo much better!

Use sparingly through a song to give emphasis or drama at certain points, and overall gives the song dynamic, light and shade.

Last edited:
It's probably no needed at all, but it does add a little flare to some songs that I play. It's best to just add it to just add it to your repitore of techniques!

Well I'll try to limit it to condiment status but I'm addicted to using it. I'm loving the sound on my new zebrawood soprano, not so much on the mahogany and spruce tops. but on the zebrawood it sings. Also I love the look of it. Am tending to stand in front of refective surfaces and watching the hand go around, and thinking hey thats cool..... I''VE FALLEN IN A FAN PIT!!, lol

Well I'll try to limit it to condiment status but I'm addicted to using it. I'm loving the sound on my new zebrawood soprano, not so much on the mahogany and spruce tops. but on the zebrawood it sings. Also I love the look of it. Am tending to stand in front of refective surfaces and watching the hand go around, and thinking hey thats cool..... I''VE FALLEN IN A FAN PIT!!, lol

As silly as it seems, I tend to practice this in front of a mirror quite a bit too. I think it helps to see your fan so you can tell if it's "flash" enough.

Top Bottom