Electric or acoustic? Decisions, decisions...

ichadwick

Reaction score
I've been debating with myself over my next ukulele. Ukulele Junky, in Montreal has a couple that I'm really keen on - a solid mango Anuenue acoustic, and a solid-body Fluke. Both tenor. I really like what I've read about both .

I'm not sure about the sound of Anuenue's mango (I have two mango ukes already: Pono and Mainland). Mango looks lovely, but it's not my favourite tonewood and can be more reserved than I want (I like cedar the best). And this model doesn't have a pickup, which I like to have. But the company's products get good reviews online and it looks nice.

The Fluke has the advantage of the built-in electronics, but it's almost silent without amplification. Good for playing late at night, so I don't wake Susan, but not a playing-on-the-deck-with-a-glass-of-wine kind of uke. I already have a standard Fluke, by the way.

Those are my current options, and I'm open to comments about either, or suggestions for something equivalent.

Mainland red cedar, Kala cedar with koa sides, Pono cedar - don't own them all now, but have in the past and I really like cedar. Lovey, rich sound. Not as bright as spruce, but I feel the uke has its own brightness anyway. The Mainland mango is as bright as any soprano I've heard.

I only have half acoustic half electric because I need it to be pluged in... It's good to get one electric because it's different.

I'd say yeah get an electric... you probably will eventually, why not now?

If it were me, I would probably get the solid Fluke just to have something different. But that's just me. It sounds like you have plenty of "sitting on the deck with a glass of wine" ukes. Time for something you can crank up and peel the paint off the walls! Or, as you say, practice silently late at night. It's good for that too!

I like the sound of acoustic over electric, but I'm new at this and it's all about personal preference.

Get both :D

If it's volume you're looking for....a baritone might just be the answer...
Have a Pono mahogany baritone, vintage Lyra mahogany baritone and Jupiter Creek solid-body steel-stringed baritone... looked at a mya-Moe resonator baritone, but it's a bit pricey for me. A tenor resontor would be perfect.

Top Bottom