Ukulele Philosophy

mendel

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I am curious... Do you think it is better for a neginner to learn songs on their Uke, or is it more important to learn basic chords and the proper finger technique to truly master the instrument?

I guess what I am asking is whether an individual that learns songs is a Ukulele player, or is a person that truly learns the instrument a Ukulele player???? What say you all?

Mendel

hi Mendel

my initial reaction is that anyone who can strum a chord or two is a ukulele player. :) I think we can get too focused with correct technique and theory and lose sight of what it's all about...just having fun making music, however rudimentary it might be, we shouldn't devalue what maybe a very liberating and joyful experience for someone. The uke is an instrument of the people and we should avoid classifying and therefore dividing people on the basis of their perceived knowledge or lack of knowledge. The uke brings happiness and brings people together...fullstop!!!

I reckon a beginner should do whatever he darn well pleases and begin his own journey, as all others who have come before him / her have done!!! :eek:

I'll leave it to the greatest philosopher of them all to sum up mine...

ukulele pic charlie brown_tmp.jpg

all the best mate. see you on the trail. eugene

I'd say find some songs that you like and make an effort to learn them. It's fun and you will naturally want to keep improving. Some organised practice of techniques isn't a bad idea either, but make sure to have a good time with your uke.

Hey Mendel,

First off I probably have no business responding since I am not truly a ukulele player, or have only been a ukulele player for 2 months, but you are going to get my two cents anyway. I think unless you are like some natural talent that the more technique you learn the further you are going to go as a player. As far as learning, I need to throw a song in along with learning the chords and technique to keep it interesting. What is truly being a ukulele player? If you are strumming the instrument you truly are playing the instrument. The question is how good you are playing or how advanced you are playing it. How far you want to take it is personal for us all. Maybe stumming a simple sing along tune is all someone wants to do. I want to learn to play/pick melodies because it is painful listening to myself sing.

Aloha Mendel,
Everyone has to start somewhere.....and learn the basics....as you play, you improve....as for uke a player or uke playa.....
One who plays the uke...doesn't matter if he or she is just starting...mostly all ukers learn songs even professionals....and
some create songs ...is there a difference, in my opinion no!!they do it for their love of the instrument...I've found that
playing by myself, with no disturbance has been my best times with the uke....it is where the creativity of uke music blossoms
for me..Pure enjoyment!!!! Stan...

Eugene,

I LOVE that cartoon!!! I actually said the same thing to my wife yesterday! My infant son was crying hysterically, but when I started to strum the uke, he calmed down and smiled! I am glad to see that the community here is open and encouraging. I have enough stressors in my life. I want the Uke to be fun!!!! I have had it for two days, and I am having a blast. I wish I had more time in the day so I could learn to play it better!!!

Eugene,

I LOVE that cartoon!!! I actually said the same thing to my wife yesterday! My infant son was crying hysterically, but when I started to strum the uke, he calmed down and smiled! I am glad to see that the community here is open and encouraging. I have enough stressors in my life. I want the Uke to be fun!!!! I have had it for two days, and I am having a blast. I wish I had more time in the day so I could learn to play it better!!!

that's so nice to hear Mendel. I have a work colleague, a nurse, who is recently married and with a young son...19months old now. My friend sits with his young fellow on his knee and cuddles him while the little guy plays dad's ukulele lap slide style! And like you, he has also said how his son is infatuated with and calmed by the sound of the uke...when he plays his son just drops everything and wants to play it like dad. Charles Schulz sure knew a thing or two about a thing or two! :)

It's a really lovely community here Mendel. I had never been on any forum before I joined here but the people are just very keen to support each other however they can...

I think that songs are the vehicle that gets you to the technique, if that makes any sense. Proper technique is a great thing to have, but what do you use it for? To play songs, of course! And what's a good and fun way to figure out how to use various chords, strum or finger-picking patterns, scales, rhythms, etc? Well... by playing songs! It's a win/win situation.

I have only been playing a little over 2 months myself... I play a few songs, practice some chords (uncle rods bootcamp), play some scales, play some more songs... I haven't mastered any of it, but I am having great fun and seeing a little improvement. It's all I can ask for! And Hey my 10 yr old clapped for me last night! A miracle!

I believe that singing when playing the ukulele helps with the rhythm and timing of the music, blending the player with the ukulele as one...as you can really get to feel the flow of the music....Stan

To me anyone who plays (or even plays at) the uke is a "uke player".

Now, a "musician", to me, is one who chooses to 'study' music. (Theory, etc)

Although I sometimes dip into Music Theory books, very infrequently (like maybe 2 yrs ago),
I do not study music so I do not consider myself a 'musician'.

I'm a singer who plays the uke or a uke player who sings. I make music, my way, but I don't
understand precisely how I do what I do. I'm happy to share my experiences playing the uke,
but I do not teach 'Music'.

I'm really grateful to Ms Wong, my 6th grade teacher at Ali'iolani Elem in Honolulu for teaching
us, the whole class, to sing and play the uke. That was 50 years ago. I learned a few chords
to sing the songs she was teaching us. Then I just kept at it because it was fun and rewarding.

I feel so fortunate to have been introduced to this wonderful instrument which has been a constant
companion for the last 5 decades! And to be part of this wonderul Ohana, well, we all know what a
blessing that is.

Thank you UU founders and fellow members for making this such a wonderful community!

Keep uke'in',

PS when I went off to college I had to choose between a Martin and a Kamaka,
($35 and $28 respectively). Being a cheapskate, I chose the Kamaka. If I knew then
what I know now, I would have bought multiple Kamakas and Martins. Oh well, we only
know what we know and try to make the best decisions at the time.

Hey Everyone!

I am curious... Do you think it is better for a neginner to learn songs on their Uke, or is it more important to learn basic chords and the proper finger technique to truly master the instrument?

I guess what I am asking is whether an individual that learns songs is a Ukulele player, or is a person that truly learns the instrument a Ukulele player???? What say you all?

Mendel

Ya gotta do both. You only learn the chords and the techniques so you can play songs. If you only stay at techniques and chords, what's the point? It all depends on your goals too as a ukulele player. If you aspire to be in the ranks of the greats such as Jake Shimabukuro your goals are going to be much different than the singer/songwriter who wants to strum some simple chords and write beautiful melodies. There is nothing wrong with either and one is not better than the other. What are your aspirations and goals?

My philosophy would be to have fun and enjoy what you do... if the technical stuff is fun for you do it and spend a lot of time with it. If you want to just learn some songs, nothing wrong with that either.

I have taken lessons for several different instruments over the years... classical guitar, banjo, piano... and each time the method has been to teach something, and then apply it to a song or study song. Just playing drills of scales is boring and dry, and not likely to stick with you. But, if you are given an application for this new skill, then it is more likely to be learned. At the very beginning stages, when you have to play really simple things, the teacher usually plays a supplemental accompaniment so that you get the full effect of creating beautiful music. With the ukulele, I think playing chords and humming the song in your head is the easiest way to start. You will pick up various skills and techniques when the songs you want to learn require them.
–Lori

I have a wretched voice.

Sing anyway. You'll get better and surprise yourself. Really!

To answer your original question - I think the approach you take depends on the kind of learner you are. For me, learning things out of context doesn't really stick - for example, I can't really just play chords randomly to memorize them. (I was also that kid in class who could never memorize their multiplication tables, or the state capitols, or all of the presidents in order. Ugh!) I need there to be context - so, once I got beyond the basic C, G, D, etc first position chords I just focused on learning songs instead. When I play songs, I can hear how one chord fits with the next, if that makes sense.

I have a wretched voice.

Aloha Mendel,
I too have a bad voice, when I felt I was to ready to sing I tried and sounded aweful .I got a baritone ukulele and played and drowned out my voice....in time my voice improved a little(some may have a different opinion of that)he he..and then I started to go back to a smaller uke...what I'm trying to say is, almost everything you do improves...even though if it's small incriments..just build your
confidence and start with easy songs like kid songs and rhymes...and progress slow...and same with your uke playing... Don't get too far ahead or fustrations set in..everybody has different
speeds of learning, go at your own pace...and only do so when you think you're ready for the next level, progress. Have Fun and Enjoy the Uke and our forums!!!"Keep strumming them strings"
MM Stan...
It's the journey not the destination that makes it intresting and fun...metaphor...if you're in a car going somewhere and the driver is speeding and driving rough, you don't see the beauty of the passing places and don't
enjoy the ride...and when you get there...you're miserable.....

Last edited:
Howdy Mendel,

I'd agree with the many others who've posted that a mix of songs and technique practice is the way to go.

Practicing only technique can be somewhat boring. However, it can also be very relaxing - once you get your routine down.

I try to include 5-10 minutes of general technique practice as a warm up whenever I play. It's a great way to warm up and a great habit which will quickly increase your skills.

I would caution against just playing a few chords and not learning finger-picking/melody playing. I was at a course taught by James Hill, and he was mentioning a phenomenon he called the C-chord trap: people learning the uke can easily master 2 or 3 chords and play a tonne of songs with them but then, as they try to progress further they come up against what seems like a brick wall - they have been tricked by how easy it is to start playing.

good luck with you learning and have fun!

I agree with everyone else...I think I strayed off the point of your question in my original answer mate. :eek: Like Jane said, what's the point of learning chords and technique without a song to give them a home? And like Stan said, sing anyway!!!! It reminds me of the bible verse that says "make a joyful noise unto the Lord"....it never mentions anything about singing with perfect pitch! :)

Eugene,

My infant son was crying hysterically, but when I started to strum the uke, he calmed down and smiled! !!

When I start playing my son jumps out of the crib and hides behind the TV...:D

Top Bottom