How do i know when to strum?

I know the feeling, I was grappling with such issues only a few months ago but with practise in starts to come more naturally. As someone said on a previous post it is a bit like tapping a beat when you hear a song. No one has to tell you the beat but most people will tap away with their fingers, the strum is like that. That said I found it easier early on when a particular pattern was given to me.
Not sure what the song is that you have posted, try checking on youtube for someone playing it to get an idea.

Find a copy of the song being played and follow along with it. That way you will learn when to strum. Another thing is to take a song that you already know and find the chords for it. That wa you will already know the beat that you strum to.

Aloha UkuleleZ,
Welcome to the UU and our forums.....When learning, you need to learn the basics first before you attempt to pick and choose a song..You need to know the song and its Rhythm and tempo..
I suggest you try easy songs first that you do know the rhythm and tempo...such as early childhood songs....for starters...and practice switching chords(chord progression)for that song...
tap your feet ton keep the beaton the song and strum to that beat....Good Luck and Have fun and enjoy!!!"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Strum all day, every day
That said, I agree with Stan, pick something you know really well and the rest will come natural.
For me it was the Cure, a few Decemberists tunes and some Old Crow Medicine Show...but here we go:
This tune has a great video and is a Uke tune

I am hearing DDDUD per measure if that helps
Like I said- all day every day

HI Ukulelez, I found ukulele mike on youtube really helpfull with a few strumming tutorials in 3/4 and 4/4 time.
check him out and see if it helps, good luck and keep persisting with it,
cheers Brad

Strum all day, every day
That said, I agree with Stan, pick something you know really well and the rest will come natural.
For me it was the Cure, a few Decemberists tunes and some Old Crow Medicine Show...but here we go:
This tune has a great video and is a Uke tune

I am hearing DDDUD per measure if that helps
Like I said- all day every day

great post TCK

II love the Old Crow Medicine Show too!!!

Hi UKULELez

as others have said, you just gotta know the song well before you start, so you at least need an audio copy of the song (which you've got now!!!) so, like Stan said, you understand the ryhthm and tempo...let the right arm swing with the rhythm of the song and it should all fall into place.

I had a similar problem...I bought a George Formby songbook but only knew one of his songs. so I bought a comprehensive collection of his songs on CD and it all made perfect sense after that.

all the best with it! good song to choose! and, to quote an esteemed UU member "keep strummin' them strings!!!!!" :)

Any way that sounds good to you. There's no right or wrong. The important thing is to keep the beat. You can add filler strums in between if it sounds good.
One suggestion (definitely not a "formula" to be used):
Try tapping your foot to the song. Everytime you tap your foot strum the chord. Then when you get used to the beat and it becomes easy to keep, then you can start adding extra strums in between (up/down/whatever sounds good).
If you can't decide what "sounds good" you can try to copy the actual song's rhythm guitar or maybe bass guitar or drum for a start. But with experience you'll soon automatically know what to do. Just practise. These things you can really only learn by yourself by trying them out.

Top Bottom