PDA

View Full Version : So I was taking a shower....

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 03:48 PM
And I was hit with the sudden thought of... I sing in the shower, why shouldn't I be able to play ukulele in it too? Thoughts? Opinions? Or has someone already thought of this? I would seriously buy one of these right now if i could.

SuzukHammer
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
no.............:)

cletus
10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
They make soap on a rope.

Thats all.

allanr
10-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that all Kamaka ukuleles are now waterproof. Give it a try. :rolleyes:

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 03:58 PM
hahahaha someone has to think this is a good idea!?

Jerlial Prophet
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
what about a flea or a fluke with the plastic fingerboard?

France
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Great idea. with a bung hole. Moore Bettah style

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 04:09 PM
what about a flea or a fluke with the plastic fingerboard?

Is the body plastic too?

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Great idea. with a bung hole. Moore Bettah style

lol! Just think of this as another way to eliminate your sweaty hands problem, France.

Jerlial Prophet
10-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't have a flea or fluke but I think the top is wood (which I forgot when I posted that) but he back is plastic I think. I guess the wood top would get ruined. Hmmm... What about a carbon fiber uke?

Lexxy
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't have a flea or fluke but I think the top is wood (which I forgot when I posted that) but he back is plastic I think. I guess the wood top would get ruined. Hmmm... What about a carbon fiber uke?

Thinking of the Blackbird tenor all carbonfibre uke? :)

SuzukHammer
I take my FLuke and Mahalos on walks because it always rains unexpectantly. I have to turn the Fluke over to avoid the soundboard from getting wet.

Funny it never rained with my Mahalo.

Maybe if you put some gloss sealer sprayed into the interior of the Mahalo, it could work.

aquaticsloth

Carbon fiber would look awesome! I wonder how it would sound? Surely better than all plastic! might not be very wallet friendly though.

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Thinking of the Blackbird tenor all carbonfibre uke? :)

Just looked this up... http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co.uk/productfamily.php/family__4363__Blackbird+Ukulele+-+Carbon+Fibre+Tenor+Ukulele

looks pretty cool but 1k euro is up there!

To SuzukHammer:: I'm going to have to look into some type of sealer!

Whose going to be the first to ask for a youtube cover with it? hahaha

Brad Bordessa
10-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Not to rain on the party - playing 'ukulele is the bomb - but why take a shower if you are going to waste water and not get clean because you are playing? Sorry, but we've had a main well poop out here in the past week and we are on emergency water. Water is way more valuable than we realize - without it we die. I think people forget that with sodas and other fake "thirst quenchers". So I'm not trying to be a downer, but I'd rather see waterproof 'ukuleles used in the river, at the beach, or on a surfboard.

France
10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
lol! Just think of this as another way to eliminate your sweaty hands problem, France.

LOL! Not quite that sweaty but thank you for your concern.:D

France
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Not to rain on the party - playing 'ukulele is the bomb - but why take a shower if you are going to waste water and not get clean because you are playing? Sorry, but we've had a main well poop out here in the past week and we are on emergency water. Water is way more valuable than we realize - without it we die. I think people forget that with sodas and other fake "thirst quenchers". So I'm not trying to be a downer, but I'd rather see waterproof 'ukuleles used in the river, at the beach, or on a surfboard.
Note taken Hippieguy. You gave me a great vision of sitting out the back, playing uke on a longboard, sunshine on the back. Ah bring on summer.

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

That is a valid point there. Sorry to hear about your well problem! =[. Paddling out and playing a few tunes though still sounds great!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
There was a scientific study recently that showed that man can live 13 days on the average without water before dying of dehydration, but only 3 days without ukulele before dying of depression. Keep your priorities straight folks!

cletus
10-18-2010, 05:18 PM
There was a scientific study recently that showed that man can live 13 days on the average without water before dying of dehydration, but only 3 days without ukulele before dying of depression!

Me afraid science.

Cheers!

mm stan
10-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Aloha Aquaticsloth,
I'm afraid they haven't waterproofed ukuleles as of yet.....but you can play ukelele while you're on the can....he he...not sure how many ukers do it though...lol MM Stan..

Hippie Dribble
10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Aloha Aquaticsloth,
I'm afraid they haven't waterproofed ukuleles as of yet.....but you can play ukelele while you're on the can....he he...not sure how many ukers do it though...lol MM Stan..

aaah Stan...this must be the part where I come in...

hi to the aquaticslothmeister! yep, guilty as charged...I've even got a little wall hanger next to the paper roll...there's always one hangin up next to the throne...mainly for me and my daughter to while away a few minutes with "Drop Baby Drop" while we drop baby, drop....sorry :o

Actually, bathrooms are great for playing music generally I reckon. A little bit too much reverb so it gets a little muddy / echoey but always makes your voice sound a bit better.

Not sure about in the shower though...an all plastic uke would work wouldn't it?

ADD
10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
There was a scientific study recently that showed that man can live 13 days on the average without water before dying of dehydration, but only 3 days without ukulele before dying of depression. Keep your priorities straight folks!

Cite references, please.

ADD
10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

I sincerely appreciate and acknowledge the invaluable voice of reason.

RyanMFT
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I remember seeing a picture online of a Maccaferri all plastic uke in a fish tank. I think the photo of the uke in the water were used for promotion.....so, get an Islander or such and try it out!

salukulady
10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Lots of Bathtub vids with ukes.......thread somewhere here......

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
aaah Stan...this must be the part where I come in...

hi to the aquaticslothmeister! yep, guilty as charged...I've even got a little wall hanger next to the paper roll...there's always one hangin up next to the throne...mainly for me and my daughter to while away a few minutes with "Drop Baby Drop" while we drop baby, drop....sorry :o

Actually, bathrooms are great for playing music generally I reckon. A little bit too much reverb so it gets a little muddy / echoey but always makes your voice sound a bit better.

Not sure about in the shower though...an all plastic uke would work wouldn't it?

MM stan and eugene... Great idea if i say so myself! I wonder if a "I once played my ukulele while i was ___________" thread would get some interesting responses? Also, Eugene, i bet hanging the ol' uke next to the can helps it with the humidity problems!

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I remember seeing a picture online of a Maccaferri all plastic uke in a fish tank. I think the photo or the uke in the water were used for promotion.....so, get an Islander or such and try it out!

Looking at those Maccaferri ukes... Super cool looking! I wonder which strings would hold up to water abuse the best.

Pippin
10-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Plastic ukes!

GreatGazukes
10-18-2010, 10:07 PM
mmmm, thought it had been done before, you're too late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syc-laoJe_o&feature=player_embedded

dnewton2
10-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Plastic ukes!

I can't believe it took 29 posts to say this. MGM has some for sale right now if one were so inclined to play in the shower.

Personally I don't think I would play in the shower, normally I only wash in the shower, occasionally I might take a beer in there but that is about as far as it goes,

Hippie Dribble
10-19-2010, 02:32 AM
I can't believe it took 29 posts to say this. MGM has some for sale right now if one were so inclined to play in the shower.

Personally I don't think I would play in the shower, normally I only wash in the shower, occasionally I might take a beer in there but that is about as far as it goes,

post 22 and 25 mentioned plastic ukes! A beer in the shower...that's hardcore brother! :cheers:

ADD
10-19-2010, 07:02 AM
By the way, does anyone know if that uke-in-the-shower-guy won?

I can certainly imagine playing a uke in a bubble bath as a way to relax. Think I need to get a plastic uke. Will check out MGM.

RyanMFT
10-19-2010, 07:47 AM
As for strings....how about flurocarbon strings? It is also used as fishing line.....

mds725
10-19-2010, 08:02 AM
KoAloha has that "better than the weather" warranty, and a shower is like, well, rain.....

Makala dolphins now come with a plastic body.

haole
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I'd be all over those plastic ukes MGM is selling if they were about half the price. Tried one at NYUF earlier this year and really liked it. As long as you keep the tuners in working order, you'd have one heck of a bathtub uke.

Ukuleleblues
10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/unusual/plastic-ukulele/

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?11848-WTB-Plastic-Ukulele-like-TV-PAL-or-other

I have a friend that plays their TV pal in the pool.

aquaticsloth
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/unusual/plastic-ukulele/

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?11848-WTB-Plastic-Ukulele-like-TV-PAL-or-other

I have a friend that plays their TV pal in the pool.

Good links! I've been checking out these plastic ukes and im really digging them. Thank you UU for fueling my ukulele addiction. The first step is recognizing the problem, right? I dont see any problems...

Hippie Dribble
10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Good links! I've been checking out these plastic ukes and im really digging them. Thank you UU for fueling my ukulele addiction. The first step is recognizing the problem, right? I dont see any problems...

aaaah, aquaticslothmeister

alas I fear you are also infected with the dreaded UAS virus :(

only known remedy science has discovered is to keep buying more ukuleles. :)

Otherwise, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning!

sincerely,

your (friendly) Dr. Eugene

eejermon
10-20-2010, 03:58 AM
I have a Mauna Loa plastic uke from the 50's just for hot springing! It works great. The intonation is ok, and it makes a cool sound as it fills up with water.
eeeej

mokai
10-20-2010, 07:18 AM
I sing in the shower, why shouldn't I be able to play ukulele in it too? Thoughts? Opinions?
When you sing in the shower, your hands are free to wash yourself
Not to sound negative, but if you uke and sing in the shower, you are only wasting multiple gallons of water every minute.

Think of it this way....
If you don't uke in the shower, you will not be wasting numerous gallons of water each time.

You could even take quick showers so you can get back to your ukulele faster..........saving MORE water

The combination will save you so much money you could buy a ukulele made from bamboo, which is sustainable

Now you're environmentally friendly, go pat yourself on the back :bowdown:

Strummingbird Stu
10-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I think that this is one place that the cheap plastic ukes would be the most desireable to have, and the really expensive fine solid wood ones would be the least desireable! There would be sort of a reverse UAS - craving for acquire the cheapest, water-repelling plastic ukes! lol! I would like to request "Tiny Bubbles" or "Splish Splash". Uke on!

aquaticsloth
10-20-2010, 10:26 AM

sincerely,

Treatment is going well! Hours of ebay searching have helped calm the symptoms.

I have a Mauna Loa plastic uke from the 50's just for hot springing! It works great. The intonation is ok, and it makes a cool sound as it fills up with water.
eeeej

I would love to hear what that sounds like with some water in it!

I think that this is one place that the cheap plastic ukes would be the most desireable to have, and the really expensive fine solid wood ones would be the least desireable! There would be sort of a reverse UAS - craving for acquire the cheapest, water-repelling plastic ukes! lol! "Tiny Bubbles" anyone? Uke on!

Who would have guessed? Also, i've been throwing my uke in a drybag when i go backpacking. A plastic one would solve tons of issues there!

aquaticsloth
10-20-2010, 10:27 AM
When you sing in the shower, your hands are free to wash yourself
Not to sound negative, but if you uke and sing in the shower, you are only wasting multiple gallons of water every minute.

Think of it this way....
If you don't uke in the shower, you will not be wasting numerous gallons of water each time.

You could even take quick showers so you can get back to your ukulele faster..........saving MORE water

The combination will save you so much money you could buy a ukulele made from bamboo, which is sustainable

Now you're environmentally friendly, go pat yourself on the back :bowdown:

I like your thinking my friend.

ADD
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM

sincerely,

Dr. Eugene, I am in awe of your astute diagnostic skills and treatment plan. Know that I will gladly recommend you to my friends.

ADD
10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=aquaticsloth;497987]
I would love to hear what that sounds like with some water in it!
QUOTE]

Please, for those of us who will never experience this, please, post a sound clip.

sukie
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
And I was hit with the sudden thought of... I sing in the shower, why shouldn't I be able to play ukulele in it too? Thoughts? Opinions? Or has someone already thought of this? I would seriously buy one of these right now if i could.

Are ya nuts? Well, actually you can play your ukulele in the shower if you want to. It is yours. Don't be askin' to borrow mine though.

Fleas and flukes won't work. Get a plastic one.

UkuleleHill
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
3 words... Toy Story Ukulele

Strummingbird Stu
10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
No matter how much louder you want to play it in the shower, PLEASE DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PICKUP!!! You may be shocked in more ways than one! Seriously, don't ever plug in while playing in the shower!

aquaticsloth
10-21-2010, 06:02 PM
No matter how much louder you want to play it in the shower, PLEASE DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PICKUP!!! You may be shocked in more ways than one! Seriously, don't ever plug in while playing in the shower!

I love when UU'ers share wisdom gained through first handed experience! =P