PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Fingers

France
10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Anyone out there have sweaty or sticky fingers? When i am changing chords or notes my fingers stick to the strings and it sounds like i'm doing a pull off. Does anyone chalk up their fingers to alleviate this?

aquaticsloth
10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
My fingers sweat sometimes too. But never enough to stick or anything. I dont know how I would feel about playing my ukulele with chalked up hands but you might want to look into a bowling resin bag. http://www.bowling.com/products/bowling-com-resin-grip-bag.htm Or something like it anyways.

Manalishi
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
The only time I came across this before,a friend was
learning the ukulele;like me,he had previously been a
guitarist.The point is,he was gripping the chords/notes
way too hard.On some guitars this is the right way to
sound the notes properly;on ukulele,it is generally too
hard a grip.Lighten up a bit and see what happens,still
make the notes clear,not muffled or buzzing,but you do
not need to hold them down that tightly with nylon
strings.I found that I could grip too hard when I played
a soprano size,but with a bit of practice,it soon came!

Lexxy
10-19-2010, 01:49 AM
My hands sweat, very very much. Almost as much as i can stain a piece of paper, turning it into pulp. It's really hard to play when your fingers sweat though.

I usually play when i get up in the morning, because at that time, it doesn't sweat OR i dry my hands over and over when practicing between songs. Heh.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2010, 01:52 AM
my thumb sweats, on my left hand, and my right fingers tend to get wet. Strange, thoguht it was because I was nervous, but not realizing it, because I don't ghet nervous.

dkcrown
10-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Rub a little baby powder on your hands and wipe off the excess with a dry paper towel before you play. Worked for me this summer on many hot and humid days here in New England.

molokinirum
10-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Sounds like you are pressing way to hard on the chords. Ease up a bit and that should help.

Tudorp
10-19-2010, 05:48 AM
What are ya part Gheko? lol.. jk. I had to.. ;)

I had to open this because of the title. My grandpa when I was a kid always used the term "sticky fingers" refering to stealin something. We would be in his garage working on a project, and I would make a comment how cool a tool or something was and he would always say "just don't get sticky fingers on it... " lol.. Just brought back some cool memories for me with Grandpa.. :)

UkuleleHill
10-19-2010, 06:48 AM
You could get something Bowlers use for thumb slicking... Its called Easy Slide:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2788540422_aa60432155.jpg?v=0

cjensen91910
10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
I use Finger Ease in the summer. It gets very humid here and I sweat like a horse. It helps along with keeping a hand towel handy. It's a "no air shipment" item but might be able to find it, or the like, local.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/FGR1.htm

France
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Thank you all for your kind words of advice. That bowling resin stuff looks liker a goer. I thought i was a bit odd but never heard of just one thumb sweating, that is bizarre Matt.