Another reason for Distaste for Finance folks

I was going to say burn them as they are witches but the one with the pink uke is cute.

Aloha Rabbit,
I can understand your distaste for them, as they prey on the desprite....but they have learned from us how the ukulele is agreat stress reliever....a side from all the fun...
They must have nightmares of all the feet they've stepped on to attain such financial greatness..Stan .....serves then right....

Celeb richies may play ukulele but you don't build fortunes like that without crimes to hide.

Really?! You can say w/o equivocation that all people who are "rich" have invariably built their fortunes criminally? I personally know many people who would be considered rich by most measures, & because of their professions, have not only passed on the bulk of their income to those less fortunate as well as established great companies that offer gainful employment to many.

(I'm not rich by US standards, but certainly would be considered so by someone in a third world country.)

As to the article, it is a positive article about the ukulele & the joy playing it brings. I HATE the bias expressed by the very first line of the article, though.

Just my $.02 - Aloha

Another reason for Distaste for Finance folks

Celeb richies may play ukulele but you don't build
fortunes like that without crimes to hide.

What the heck does your post have to do with the article? Why is this another reason to hate "finance folks"?

I just don't get it.

JJ

What the heck does your post have to do with the article? Why is this another reason to hate "finance folks"?

I just don't get it.
Me neither.

Really?! You can say w/o equivocation that all people who are "rich" have invariably built their fortunes criminally? I personally know many people who would be considered rich by most measures, & because of their professions, have not only passed on the bulk of their income to those less fortunate as well as established great companies that offer gainful employment to many.
I didn't know Bill Gates played uke, too. :cool: He and Warren Buffet may be two of the world's richest men, but they're also both deeply involved in philanthropic activities, sharing their wealth with others. I admire both of them and they have my utmost respect.

Having worked at a firm mentioned in the article, I can assure you that the average employee, while competitively compensated, is far from "rich." It's a very high-pressure, high-stress environment.

I think the idea of using ukes for team-building events is a brilliant idea. :)

What I really want to know is how many actually go out and buy an uke afterward.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/oct/18/ukuleles-city-traders-happy

Celeb richies may play ukulele but you don't build
fortunes like that without crimes to hide.

My apologies to that sweet old grandfatherly Warren Buffet; and he plays uke too! Extra Charming!

Same for Mr. Gates, that nice fellow so dear with his philanthropies.

I did not say "hate", I said 'distaste." You said "hate."

May your tombstones read: "He defended Buffet and Gates."

I suppose it's just thin-skinned of me to not like seeing ukuleles being co-opted
by the money set as an "acceptable way to be quirky in the City" and
the "team building course du jours" at Holders & Combes.

By the way, in case you missed it, recently the "finance folks" helped bring massive disruption and pain, to the world.
Before that there was, hmm, lesseee, ENRON, among others.
There's a place for finance people at the table, but I don't care to sit next to them.

This article made me a little po'ed It stated that : ukuleles are a easy instrument to master...
No instrument is easy to master except for the triangle.

This article made me a little po'ed It stated that : ukuleles are a easy instrument to master...
No instrument is easy to master except for the triangle.
Actually, the word "master" doesn't appear anywhere in the article. The statements I'm guessing you took issue with were:

"It's easy to get pretty good at it very quickly, and that means it encourages playfulness instead of competitiveness."

and

"The fact that the ukulele is so easy and fun to play makes it the perfect, team-building instrument."

I would say that those statements are relatively true, especially in comparison to something like violin or piano or classical guitar.

And why you pickin' on triangle players? Do you know how hard it is to follow a full orchestral score so you know just the exact right moment to ring your triangle? :p

Ukuleles are a kinder and gentler approach to team building than shooting the rapids in a rubber raft.

45 years a banker here. Please don't hate me. Met slot of interesting people some quite rich. Not Gates or Buffett like but a 15000 sf house an an acre on the ocean is not middle class. All that I can think of started with next to nothing and worked really really hard for long hours. There is some real slime out there but vast majority were good hard working people that provided a lot of jobs for others and took big risks to get where they got.

Ukuleles are a kinder and gentler approach to team building than shooting the rapids in a rubber raft.
Prior SPAM… NEW member … Replied to a 12 year old post

45 years a banker here. Please don't hate me. Met slot of interesting people some quite rich. Not Gates or Buffett like but a 15000 sf house an an acre on the ocean is not middle class. All that I can think of started with next to nothing and worked really really hard for long hours. There is some real slime out there but vast majority were good hard working people that provided a lot of jobs for others and took big risks to get where they got.
Spam reply to an old post by new “member”;-)

Yah, it's a spammer's response to an old post but I still like playing ukulele. :p

This thread is really screwed up. I see it's an old topic, but I don't see the "new member" who resurrected it. Its all from 2010, up until kkimura, who is hardly a new member, replied to it yesterday. And, I agree that the original post makes no sense in relation to the linked article. It's all very strange.

Old post, 11 years old article....

This thread is really screwed up. I see it's an old topic, but I don't see the "new member" who resurrected it. Its all from 2010, up until kkimura, who is hardly a new member, replied to it yesterday. And, I agree that the original post makes no sense in relation to the linked article. It's all very strange.
I suspect Admin deleted the post…

Top Bottom