My ukulele's hole is waaayy off-centre!!

KevinTJH

Reaction score
My Kala Pineapple ukulele arrived today. I must say I'm a little disappointed though. The body feels a little rough, like as if someone sprinkled some dust on it while the clear coat wasn't dry.

The biggest problem is the hole!!
DSC00736.jpg

Is this a normal thing for cheap ukuleles? :(

[[Nevermind it all. Misunderstood your complaint.]] :)

Last edited:
do some measuring, are you sure its not an optical illusion caused by the printed pattern not being central?
It's pretty obvious to me eyes though. Not sure how to put it, but as you can see, the hole is further away from the G string, hence it is closer to the A string.

oh yea, from the photo that defo looks out, guess that'll be going back then =[
Really?? Is it that bad? I got it shipped all the way from the US, and I'm in Australia. Gonna be real painful on my wallet to send it back.

If you were me, would you be able to live with that MAJOR imperfection?

Double check if it's actually the hole that's not centered and not the bridge. If the bridge is off center, the intonation might be off. I could see a major problem if that were the case. Perhaps the strings can be scooted over on the saddle. I'm not sure. Who did you purchase it from? Maybe if they're nice enough, you won't have to send it back, and they can just send you a new one while you keep the defective one.

Who did you purchase it from? Maybe if they're nice enough, you won't have to send it back, and they can just send you a new one while you keep the defective one.
I'm pretty sure it's the hole alone which is off centred, I did some rough measurements to confirm that.

I purchased it from UKEKING on ebay. It's not a very expensive ukulele so sending it back would be cost about a quarter its value.
This is just UNBELIEVABLE. I got my first ukulele from the famous Kalaukulele company, and I'm already disappointed.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's the hole alone which is off centred, I did some rough measurements to confirm that.

I purchased it from UKEKING on ebay. It's not a very expensive ukulele so sending it back would be cost about a quarter its value.

hi Kevin, I was thinking the same as SuperSecretBETA...bridge could be poorly alligned. Is the neck straight?

I just took a ruler and measured it on the computer screen, and there's no doubt the soundhole is, quite substantially, off centre. If it were me I would certainly contact the seller and complain. If they are worth their salt they should offer you a replacement...otherwise there are ways you can protest, through negative feedback etc. Most sellers are very concerned about customers leaving poor feedback and will do what they are able to make peace.

Sure, you can live with it, but why should you?

Sure, you can live with it, but why should you?
Thanks Eugene for your response. I just wrote the seller an email. He has 100% positive feedback at the moment so I guess that gives me a bit a leverage there.

It will cost me quite a little to ship it back but I guess that can't be helped. I don't want to be disappointed with this ukulele for the rest of its lifespan. Sigh, I wish I had better luck with Kala's quality control.

or maybe kevin, santa does exist.
Santa? Nah.. I grew out of that red guy ages ago :)

that offset hole wouldnt bother me at all
one thing you could do is go to a harger hole and offset drill it
or get someone to do it for you
i would just play it and smile

Thanks Eugene for your response. I just wrote the seller an email. He has 100% positive feedback at the moment so I guess that gives me a bit a leverage there.

It will cost me quite a little to ship it back but I guess that can't be helped. I don't want to be disappointed with this ukulele for the rest of its lifespan. Sigh, I wish I had better luck with Kala's quality control.

Santa? Nah.. I grew out of that red guy ages ago :)

Was the uke advertised as new or B stock? If it was advertised as new, yuo shouldn't have to pay return shipping. THat uke never should ahve been sent out like that.

that offset hole wouldnt bother me at all
one thing you could do is go to a harger hole and offset drill it
or get someone to do it for you
i would just play it and smile
Wouldn't that make the hole look a little oval? I can't accept it the way it is! Nooooo......! :(

Was the uke advertised as new or B stock? If it was advertised as new, yuo shouldn't have to pay return shipping. THat uke never should ahve been sent out like that.
Advertised as BRAND NEW for sure. Everything about it is brand new, I think. The stuffed up sound-hole is just poor workmanship, so I don't think the store I bought it from is responsible for it.

Hi Kevin,

No way you should pay to have it shipped back, contact seller and let em
know the problem, also Call Kala they'll make it right you may end up with another
uke and be able to keep that one. Not much sense in sending a defective instrument
back and forth.
That on'll probably play OK but it ain't right.

Best of luck,

Cheers.

Thanks Mr Bill. Yea I'll contact Kala as well to see what they can do. Hopefully things will workout

Hi Kevin,

No way you should pay to have it shipped back, contact seller and let em
know the problem, also Call Kala they'll make it right you may end up with another
uke and be able to keep that one. Not much sense in sending a defective instrument
back and forth.
That on'll probably play OK but it ain't right.

Best of luck,

Cheers.

When I had a problem with a Kala, they shipped out a new one and enclosed a label to ship the defective one back. You won't have to pay for shipping.

Top Bottom