PDA

View Full Version : My ukulele's hole is waaayy off-centre!!

KevinTJH
10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
My Kala Pineapple ukulele arrived today. I must say I'm a little disappointed though. The body feels a little rough, like as if someone sprinkled some dust on it while the clear coat wasn't dry.

The biggest problem is the hole!!
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/KevinTJH/DSC00736.jpg

Is this a normal thing for cheap ukuleles? :(

Nebs
10-18-2010, 10:53 PM
[[Nevermind it all. Misunderstood your complaint.]] :)

casarole45
10-18-2010, 11:24 PM
do some measuring, are you sure its not an optical illusion caused by the printed pattern not being central?

KevinTJH
10-18-2010, 11:27 PM
do some measuring, are you sure its not an optical illusion caused by the printed pattern not being central?
It's pretty obvious to me eyes though. Not sure how to put it, but as you can see, the hole is further away from the G string, hence it is closer to the A string.

casarole45
10-18-2010, 11:30 PM
oh yea, from the photo that defo looks out, guess that'll be going back then =[

KevinTJH
10-18-2010, 11:32 PM
oh yea, from the photo that defo looks out, guess that'll be going back then =[
Really?? Is it that bad? I got it shipped all the way from the US, and I'm in Australia. Gonna be real painful on my wallet to send it back.

If you were me, would you be able to live with that MAJOR imperfection?

SuperSecretBETA
10-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Double check if it's actually the hole that's not centered and not the bridge. If the bridge is off center, the intonation might be off. I could see a major problem if that were the case. Perhaps the strings can be scooted over on the saddle. I'm not sure. Who did you purchase it from? Maybe if they're nice enough, you won't have to send it back, and they can just send you a new one while you keep the defective one.

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Who did you purchase it from? Maybe if they're nice enough, you won't have to send it back, and they can just send you a new one while you keep the defective one.
I'm pretty sure it's the hole alone which is off centred, I did some rough measurements to confirm that.

I purchased it from UKEKING on ebay. It's not a very expensive ukulele so sending it back would be cost about a quarter its value.
This is just UNBELIEVABLE. I got my first ukulele from the famous Kalaukulele company, and I'm already disappointed.

Hippie Dribble
10-19-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the hole alone which is off centred, I did some rough measurements to confirm that.

I purchased it from UKEKING on ebay. It's not a very expensive ukulele so sending it back would be cost about a quarter its value.

hi Kevin, I was thinking the same as SuperSecretBETA...bridge could be poorly alligned. Is the neck straight?

I just took a ruler and measured it on the computer screen, and there's no doubt the soundhole is, quite substantially, off centre. If it were me I would certainly contact the seller and complain. If they are worth their salt they should offer you a replacement...otherwise there are ways you can protest, through negative feedback etc. Most sellers are very concerned about customers leaving poor feedback and will do what they are able to make peace.

Sure, you can live with it, but why should you?

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2010, 12:44 AM
it's obviosuly off centre.... lmao.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2010, 12:46 AM
or maybe kevin, santa does exist.

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Sure, you can live with it, but why should you?
Thanks Eugene for your response. I just wrote the seller an email. He has 100% positive feedback at the moment so I guess that gives me a bit a leverage there.

It will cost me quite a little to ship it back but I guess that can't be helped. I don't want to be disappointed with this ukulele for the rest of its lifespan. Sigh, I wish I had better luck with Kala's quality control.

or maybe kevin, santa does exist.
Santa? Nah.. I grew out of that red guy ages ago :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-19-2010, 01:33 AM
just saying, by looking at it, nothing cna really contradict it. It's obviously out of place. I thought my kpk wasn't level (the bridge), but its an illusion

Keef
10-19-2010, 01:45 AM
that offset hole wouldnt bother me at all
one thing you could do is go to a harger hole and offset drill it
or get someone to do it for you
i would just play it and smile

haolejohn
10-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks Eugene for your response. I just wrote the seller an email. He has 100% positive feedback at the moment so I guess that gives me a bit a leverage there.

It will cost me quite a little to ship it back but I guess that can't be helped. I don't want to be disappointed with this ukulele for the rest of its lifespan. Sigh, I wish I had better luck with Kala's quality control.

Santa? Nah.. I grew out of that red guy ages ago :)

Was the uke advertised as new or B stock? If it was advertised as new, yuo shouldn't have to pay return shipping. THat uke never should ahve been sent out like that.

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 02:16 AM
that offset hole wouldnt bother me at all
i would just play it and smile
Wouldn't that make the hole look a little oval? I can't accept it the way it is! Nooooo......! :(

Was the uke advertised as new or B stock? If it was advertised as new, yuo shouldn't have to pay return shipping. THat uke never should ahve been sent out like that.
Advertised as BRAND NEW for sure. Everything about it is brand new, I think. The stuffed up sound-hole is just poor workmanship, so I don't think the store I bought it from is responsible for it.

Mr Bill
10-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi Kevin,

No way you should pay to have it shipped back, contact seller and let em
know the problem, also Call Kala they'll make it right you may end up with another
uke and be able to keep that one. Not much sense in sending a defective instrument
back and forth.
That on'll probably play OK but it ain't right.

Best of luck,

Cheers.

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks Mr Bill. Yea I'll contact Kala as well to see what they can do. Hopefully things will workout

Mandarb
10-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Thanks Mr Bill. Yea I'll contact Kala as well to see what they can do. Hopefully things will workout

Sounds like a good place to start. Keep us updated. Good luck.

Skitzic
10-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi Kevin,

No way you should pay to have it shipped back, contact seller and let em
know the problem, also Call Kala they'll make it right you may end up with another
uke and be able to keep that one. Not much sense in sending a defective instrument
back and forth.
That on'll probably play OK but it ain't right.

Best of luck,

Cheers.

When I had a problem with a Kala, they shipped out a new one and enclosed a label to ship the defective one back. You won't have to pay for shipping.

the52blues
10-19-2010, 03:35 AM
That would be my suggestion. Contact Mike Upton at Kala instead of Ukeking. Kala has a great rep for adjusting problems. Kala has a Facebook page if you are on there and he reads and answers questions there too.

casarole45
10-19-2010, 03:51 AM
yarp contact first. You can go any route. Either the ebayer and get a massive discount or get him to pay return shipping... or contact Kala and see what they can do...

Ronnie Aloha
10-19-2010, 04:12 AM
No way should you have to pay for return shipping. The seller should be paying for the retun. It shouldn't even have to go through Kala. The seller should settle up with Kala. IMHO

smithpaul60
10-19-2010, 04:16 AM
I may be a bit unpopular in a moment.

If it plays like a ukulele and stays in tune, I wouldn't worry about the hole being off kilt. Honestly in my opinion, if it doesn't hinder you from playing, it just adds a bit of character. Plus you won't have worry about shipping. Or if it bothers you that much I'll take it off your hands I don't mind mess ups, I am one anyways. J/K

olgoat52
10-19-2010, 04:40 AM
A cheap uke is $40 so that isn't a cheap uke. It may be inexpensive. The hole is definitely off center but as mentioned, that really won't affect the sound much. That said, you should not pay full price for a defective uke. If they won't exchange it they should at a minimum offer you a fair partial refund.

I would definitely not attempt to adjust the sound hole size. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I can't tell from the photo whether the strings are centered on the fingerboard or not. The most important thing is whether the neck and bridge are aligined properly. To check that put a dab of tape on the center of the nut, the 12th fret and center of the bridge. Then find the exact center of all three and mark it on the pieces of tape. Take a piece of twine and stretch it from the center of the nut to center of the bridge and see if the twine passes directly over the center of the 12th fret. If it doesn't the bridge is not properly aligned with the neck and that it is a bad thing.

If the alignment is good and your harmonic at the 12th and fretted note at the 12th are close, then you probably have a playable uke.

FWIW.

70sSanO
10-19-2010, 04:41 AM
This is what I would do...

Get some good measurements first. You may have to set the ukulele on something that has 90 degree corners and center the ukulele on it. Then measure bridge to edge on both sides, hole to edge, neck to edge. You can also measure from the nut to the bridge on both edges of the nut.

What you need to figure out is if the neck or bridge was set off by 3-4mm to one side. If everything lines up except the hole then it is just asthetics and if you can't live with that, then send it back. But if the ukulele was built off center, not just an offset hole, then you can use that information when you talk to Kala.

John

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you so much for all the responses.

Here's what I've got:
Kala asked me to contact the seller I bought it from to try and settle it first.
Ukeking asked me to send him some photos, then he will solve the situation with Kala as soon as he can. Not sure if I'm expected to pay for return shipment though.

Here are some better pictures:
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/KevinTJH/DSC00737.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/KevinTJH/DSC00739.jpg

kenikas
10-19-2010, 03:29 PM
From the last pic's I'd say the bridge got glued on off center, since you can see the strings are all offset to the "a" side of the finger board. As to the rough feel on the body that may be because the design is silkscreened on to the ukes (there is no clear coat), but I have the same model and mine feels quite smooth. Definetly looks like factory defects to me so I'm sure they seller or Kala will take care of you. Sorry you've had problems, I love mine, they are pretty good little ukes.

haolejohn
10-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't that make the hole look a little oval? I can't accept it the way it is! Nooooo......! :(

Advertised as BRAND NEW for sure. Everything about it is brand new, I think. The stuffed up sound-hole is just poor workmanship, so I don't think the store I bought it from is responsible for it.

Unless they drop shipped it they are responsible. that uke should have been checked over.

haolejohn
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
That would be my suggestion. Contact Mike Upton at Kala instead of Ukeking. Kala has a great rep for adjusting problems. Kala has a Facebook page if you are on there and he reads and answers questions there too.

I think they prefer you go through the dealer first. There was a thread awhile back with a Kala issue and an on-line dealer. kala was contacted first and it was mentioned by (Mike Upton?) that the person should contact the dealer first.

FWIW I know DeG has a red cedar mainland with an off center hole and it plays and sounds fine but he got it from Mainland as a factory second. I know that as long as the sound is fine the uke is fine but you seriously shouldn't have had to pay full price for that uke.

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 04:09 PM
It's DEFINATELY an off center sound hole. Everybody on the UU can verify this by taking a ruler or tape measure and measuring both sides on the monitor screen. Try it on both photos with the soundhole. I'm guessing it at 1/4" off center, from my knowledge of that ukulele's actual size. I'm sidingg with Kevin, here. If I were to consider buying that ukulele in a store, it would require a discount for me to purchase it. I've never even seen Kala's less Makala brand ukuleles that far off center. Ric

Toucan Mango
10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Thats not a pineapple, it's a lemon. The bridge is clearly glued in the wrong place. For me the A string is way to close to the edge & would not work. Bummer

DeG
10-19-2010, 04:37 PM
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/KevinTJH/DSC00739.jpg

This picture makes me think the strings are all shifted to one side, instead of the hole being off center. Still a problem though...

mm stan
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Looking at the alignment on the fretboard, I'd definetely send it back..Call the dealer, it should have never been sent out
looks like a seconds to me...they should cover the shipping charges as it is their fault and a faulty uke. Good Luck!!

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Kevin, do you still have the link on EBay where you won that uke? It would be interesting to see the photos the seller posted there and the photos of your actual uke in contrast. Ric

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Kevin, do you still have the link on EBay where you won that uke? It would be interesting to see the photos the seller posted there and the photos of your actual uke in contrast. Ric
Yes I do. Nah..it was made clear that the photos in the listing are simply just a general photo. There were about 5 for sale if I can remember. Anyway, here it goes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120621317922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2705wt_907

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
It's clear that the seller of your uke misrepresented what you bought, Kevin. Send the link to this thread and the misrepresented photos to Kala. You were clearly screwed by the EBay seller and if that seller won't refund/exchange your uke transaction without zero cost to you, you should ruin their reputation with photos/links. The seller did NOT inspect your uke before shipping, unless he was drunk or under the influence of drugs. Ric

bobby b
10-19-2010, 06:35 PM
The one in the ebay link looks to be, either the same uke, or one that has a similar issue.

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 06:42 PM
The photo is taken from a side angle. There is no way the buyer could tell it was warped from that angle. Ric

Hippie Dribble
10-19-2010, 06:42 PM
yes Kevin, I totally agree with Ric...you've been ripped - off bigtime and you must be recompensed.

I wouldn't accept that from any seller...actually I had a similar experience myself from ebay severalmonths back..I bought a vintage gold-label kamaka soprano...

to some extent my own fault; the pictures in the item description were not close up and were taken on an angle. Anyway, I won the auction and when it arrived i found it was a non-original bridge made of cheap pine of all things!!! and the neck wasn't alligned properly. I was devastated, contacted the seller immediately and said it was unacceptable and demanded full refund...which was provided promtly.

I guess they call it "evil-bay" for a reason.

All the best mate...remember, you have a cloud of witnesses here at the UU!!!

France
10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
The one in the ebay link looks to be, either the same uke, or one that has a similar issue.

Yeah i'm with you. On the fretboard the strings look ok but goes off around the sound hole. Bridge issue..wonky neck?

bobby b
10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
The photo is taken from a side angle. There is no way the buyer could tell it was warped from that angle. Ric
There is more than one photo in the link. Straight on photo looks the same to me, no question.

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Exactly, Eugene. The seller should have NEVER sent out this factory second, without informing the buyer. If the seller won't 100% refund the buyer with the cost and shipping, he/she deserves and rates a ZERO recommendation in the ukulelele community. PERIOD! Ric

bobby b
10-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Exactly, Eugene. The seller should have NEVER sent out this factory second, without informing the buyer. If the seller won't 100% refund the buyer with the cost and shipping, he/she deserves and rates a ZERO recommendation in the ukulelele community. PERIOD! Ric

Agreed 100%

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 06:53 PM
There is more than one photo in the link. Straight on photo looks the same to me, no question.

Agreed, Bobby. The seller's grossly at fault here and his/her EBay reputation should be immediately tanked if he/she does not fix this travesty. Ric

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 06:54 PM
All the best mate...remember, you have a cloud of witnesses here at the UU!!!
Thank you so much, all of you, for all the support here! I really appreciate it!

The only reason why I didn't bother with the photos was because I seriously thought they were general photos.
He had about FIVE of them for sale on that same listing, so I never expected mine to be the EXACT defective ukulele on the photo out of the five for sale.

ricdoug
10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Your ukule in ZERO way reflects the dealer's stock photo's. If the seller does not refund your purchase price and shipping, refer him/she to this thread. We will collectively trash his/her's reputation immediately on a continuing basis that they will never be able to profit on an EBay ever again in the future. Ric

KevinTJH
10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Your ukule in ZERO way reflects the dealer's stock photo's. If the seller does not refund your purchase price and shipping, refer him/she to this thread. We will collectively trash his/her's reputation immediately on a continuing basis that they will never be able to profit on an EBay ever again in the future. Ric
Haha. Okay Ric. I've sent him the photos and am waiting for his response towards this issue. He seems like a really nice guy (so far), so I should probably be a little patient and give him a chance to make things right.

Thanks to the wonderful community backing me up here, there's always a Plan B :)

SuzukHammer
10-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Everything is relative and one person's trash is another man's art.

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/images/uke_page/Pohaku-Askew-1.jpg

Teek
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
K, I want that Pohaku!

Do try to be patient, I got my Makala Dolphin from UkeKing, he was prompt in shipping and communication, but I could tell my box wasn't opened for inspection. So either he does big volume or drop ships. My Dolphin is a little honey. Listing, communication, fees, (packing, shipping) it all is a lot of work and evilBay takes about 20% now, and makes sellers jump through fiery hoops for the privilege of paying John Donahoe's enormous salary.

PLEASE y'all have a little compassion for the seller too, crap happens. eBay is a tough way to make a living, I did it for almost 11 years, and dealt with HORRIBLE BUYERS as well as bad sellers. Don't "trash" the guy before he has a chance to get it taken care of. The poster who said that Kala would replace it is likely correct. Kevin, you'll get an email with a label to print out, you'll drop the crap uke back in it's box, slap on the label, drop the box with a shipper and Kala will get you a new uke shipped out, or ukeKing will take the hit in the wallet for you and get credit.

I've been wanting the Kiwi one myself, they run about $90. with shipping and it's not an amount worth anyone hemorrhaging over. You can ask the seller for a 10% discount coupon on your next purchase from him. He's trying right now to get Kala to get it taken care of ASAP x2 and thinking Oh holy crap! So be kind, you'll get more satisfaction in the long run, if just because you can look back when the issue is resolved and you are happy and think "Yeah my uke was all wonky but I was a right stand up guy about the whole (ahem) thing!" ;)

mds725
10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
This is just UNBELIEVABLE. I got my first ukulele from the famous Kalaukulele company, and I'm already disappointed.

You should email Mike Upton, the president of Kala, with photos of the ukulele. Send your email to contact@kalaukulele.com and state in the email that it's for Mike. He apparently answers all his email messages. I exchanged emails with him once over a missing gig bag for my Kala travel uke, and he was extremely nice and helpful. He loves ukuleles and ukulele players, and he wants ukulele players to like Kala. I'm guessing that if you just let him know what your concern is and that you're disappointed, without making any demands or accusations, he'll try to find a way to make you happy.

clayton56
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
First, don't jump on the bandwagon about trashing the seller just yet, some people are quick to get vicious. That is a hard thing to notice, nobody's looking for that sort of thing. The seller probably just made sure it was all there and packed it up. He'll most likely make it right, or Kala will.

I had the same problem with a Pono, the bridge was 5 mm off center, making the right side 10 mm smaller than the left side! Once I noticed it it did bother me. As it turns out the neck was set in crooked and the builder just moved the bridge over so the strings would be in line with the neck. At first and second glance it looked fine, I just noticed it after having it a few months. Anyway, I don't blame the store or the factory really, just the guy who set the neck and he probably only makes $1.12 an hour.

clayton56
10-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Everything is relative and one person's trash is another man's art.

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/images/uke_page/Pohaku-Askew-1.jpg

What's this - Picasso's ukulele?

KevinTJH
10-20-2010, 01:01 AM
PLEASE y'all have a little compassion for the seller too, crap happens. eBay is a tough way to make a living, I did it for almost 11 years, and dealt with HORRIBLE BUYERS as well as bad sellers. Don't "trash" the guy before he has a chance to get it taken care of. The poster who said that Kala would replace it is likely correct. Kevin, you'll get an email with a label to print out, you'll drop the crap uke back in it's box, slap on the label, drop the box with a shipper and Kala will get you a new uke shipped out, or ukeKing will take the hit in the wallet for you and get credit.

No worries. I do know what it's like to be a seller on ebay. I used to sell electric guitars on ebay so inspecting instruments before shipping can be quite time-consuming (although shouldn't be neglected).
I tried to be as polite as I could in both the emails sent to Ukeking and Kala, but also stating that I was upset with the issue.
I think I've done all I can for now :D

ichadwick
10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
If you were me, would you be able to live with that MAJOR imperfection?
If it sounds okay, then yes.

The location of the soundhole is not crucial to the overall sound produced. Sereval instrument companies have experiemnted with different locations, sizes and shapes for the sound hole. While size makes a difference, I have yet to read anything that suggests location or shape do.

And while you may notice the position, probably few others will because your hand or arm will be over the hole when playing.

Skitzic
10-20-2010, 02:32 AM
The eBay listing says the uke is set up prior to shipment, that's the bit that would bother me the most. If this uke was indeed set up, he should have noticed the offset strings (we'll forget about the sound hole a moment) and marked it as B stock. It wasn't looked at, therefore it couldn't have been set up...

I'm not trying to bash anyone...and I don't know what I would do if it was my money and my uke because it isn't, but if I got a uke that was supposed to be set up and clearly wasn't even looked at...I'd be pissed.

That is all.

Keef
10-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Keef
quote that offset hole wouldnt bother me at all
i would just play it and smile quote
Wouldn't that make the hole look a little oval? I can't accept it the way it is! Nooooo......!
what I am saying is use a larger hole saw but when you re drill it make the center of the new hole the center of your 4 strings this will completely remove the old hole and leave you with a larger hole but it will be centered
unless you have offset drilled something before I wouldnt do it my self some bad thing can happen
I would do it but thats just me

Keef
10-20-2010, 03:05 AM
deleted I forgot the quote

Keef
10-20-2010, 03:06 AM
What's this - Picasso's ukulele?
Im really diggin this uke :)

cocohonk
10-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I saw a bunch of the newer acoustic-electric Eleukes, and they also have the hole on the side designs. They sound good, and I actually like the way it looks, though it's a bit weird too because the electronics are located in the same 'quadrant', so the wires and stuff are even more visible than usual, and looks a little like the hole is actually highlighting all the wires. (Though, I suppose that means easier access to the electronics wires too).

Bummer about the off center hole on your uke though. (Though, I think it's pretty special looking. :D) Since it's obviously a technical error on their part (since it's impossible you did it to the uke, duh. :D), I'm sure you can exchange your uke for another one at the store/with the Kala people.

KevinTJH
10-21-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm sure you can exchange your uke for another one at the store/with the Kala people.
Yeap. Anyway here's an update if anyone's interested in knowing what's going on:

Two days ago:
Hi
I sent the pictures to Kala. I will let you know.
Thanks
Dan

Yesterday:
Ok
They are going to replace it but not sure how we are going to do this yet being that it is an international sale. So they are getting back to me on this.
thanks
Dan

No messages today yet, so I'm hoping things go well!