My Kamaka HF-2 arrived!

janeray1940

Reaction score
I took my chances on this one - bought sound-unheard on eBay. It's got a birthdate of April 8, 2008, but looks brand spanking new. Arrived of course with stock strings, which were promptly swapped out for Aquilas, and - WOW. It sounds amazing!

I'm even happier with this purchase than I thought I would be. I had test-drove a concert Kamaka some weeks back; it too had stock strings and at the time I didn't think it sounded all that different than my Kamaka HF-1 soprano. So, I was expecting a similar sound but in buying a concert hoping to gain maybe a little volume and a bit more room for the fingers higher up the neck - that's all.

But - not only is it louder, but the sound is so much brighter! I'm amazed at the difference. (Which brings me to, once again, wonder why Kamaka uses such mediocre stock strings, but oh well...)

Teaser photo from the eBay listing can be found here.

Another for the Kamaka Klan!

Hooray!

Congratulations on your new uke - that is beautiful. I've put Aquilas on mine as well, and I think it sounds fantastic with them.

I do love a new uke day :biglaugh:

Congrats on your Kamaka!! Yes those stock strings leave a lot to be desired. Why they continue to use them on such a beautiful uke is way beyond me!!!!

Last edited:
Happy new uke day!!! Congratulations!!

Aloha JaneRay1940.
Congrats on the new arrival...he he sounds like something else...Well I'm happy your new baby sounds so awesome for you and everything worked out fine...You must be having
a ball with it and so excited in the feeling it out initial process.....Mahalo for the teased photo...Have fun and enjoy!!! soooo Happy 4 ya!!! "Keep strumming them strings...MM Stan..

Last edited:
What next, a tenor? For sure.

Thanks all for sharing in my enthusiasm! Spent the afternoon playing at a little uke gathering, where I also had the chance to play a Kamaka tenor for a bit. Um, yeah - one just might end up on the wish list :)

I gotta get my hands on a pineapple first. Then we can talk tenor :)

Hi Janeray,

Congrats on that new George Harrison model uke.

Cheers,

PS: Is that tatraplan your family car, a beautiful machine.

Congrats on that new George Harrison model uke.

PS: Is that tatraplan your family car, a beautiful machine.

Thanks! And no, the Tatra belongs to a friend. I think he's up to around four of them now. I've had the dubious honor of driving this one.

I am Jealous with Envy!!

So you're the lucky winner. I was watching the auction but I was 5 minutes too late to bid :( Congrats!

Congrats on the new Kamaka. I still have the stock strings on my tenor that I purchased about a month ago. I am a little nervous about changing them since I have never done it before. I will probably change them to Aquilas in the next couple of days.

Congrats on the new Kamaka. I still have the stock strings on my tenor that I purchased about a month ago. I am a little nervous about changing them since I have never done it before. I will probably change them to Aquilas in the next couple of days.

Changing strings is easy! At least on a standard bridge - the tenor has a tie bar bridge which involves a different knot. I've never had a uke with a tie-bar bridge but I had a couple of how-to pages bookmarked in case I ever do:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/uke-minutes-5-article-how-to-re-string-your-ukulele/
http://www.tikiking.com/how_to_change_strings.html
http://liveukulele.com/gear/changing-strings/

You can also have a shop do it for around $20. I've never done this, but other I know have, and the advantage is that they have a string stretcher that really helps the Aquilas settle - I've found when I do it myself, this takes forever.

Top Bottom