Post your favorite Hawai'ian songs

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
AnnaUK's recent thread about her new Kamaka soprano and the beautifully played sound sample she posted of Aloha 'Oe got me thinking about which Hawai'ian songs I've learned to play since I began playing the ukulele I like the most and wondering what Hawai'ian songs everyone else likes. So I thought it might be fun for people to post their favorites here.

My absolute favorite Hawai'ian song to play and sing is Hokuli'ili'i. I've been unable to find a video of it anywhere, but here's an audio clip: http://new.music.yahoo.com/hokulea/tracks/hokuliilii-little-star-the-dog--963416

Here's another, Koke'e

So what Hawai'ian songs do you love to sing, play or listen to?

La 'Elima and E Kuu Morning Dew are fun songs to play.

The three I most recently learned are:

1. Kimo Henderson Hula-

2. A'oia-http://www.4shared.com/audio/AZSoD85c/2Aoia.html

3. Ku'uipo ika he'e pu'e one-http://www.4shared.com/audio/NWq9r-JE/2kuuipo_ika_hee_pue_one_with_i.html

Keep uke'in',

Aloha Mark,
Got so many of them.. too too many to list...Just love them Hawaiian songs....Sorry, MM Stan...

What a great thread idea :)

This is fab - I would love to know more traditional Hawaiian songs. I find the historical aspect interesting as well. This thread will be a great pointer for songs to learn in the future.

Thanks for starting it, Mr Cricket :D

I'm the same...know virtually none, and so like Anna said, thanks for this thread idea mds725!!!

I'm thankful to Stan who recently has showed me some...I've always been a little intimidated by hawaiian songs because of the language pronunciation and because I felt it wasn't my cultural experience or privilege to play them...like I just wouldn't be able to do them justice. But this thread will hopefully show me why I should try. Thanks Mark!

Aloha Mark,
Got so many of them.. too too many to list...Just love them Hawaiian songs....Sorry, MM Stan...

I gotta agree with MM Stan, I can't think of a traditional Hawaiian song I don't like!

I have to agree with every song in these previous threads, check them out they are a pretty comprehensive list.

As dad has played steel guitar and I have collected Western Swing all my life, I have to say my favorite "Hawaiian" tune is definitely a rare track called "Little Heaven of the Seven Seas" done by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. The steel in it, at least to these ears, is stunning.
I love this record as well, always have
hawaii.jpg

This is BRILLIANT
41EYXHKBV0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and well, I am totally new to Hawaiian UKULELE music...my loves here are things like Cliff and George, but Ukulele Complete Best with Herb Ohta has been in pretty heavy rotation.
It seems that Ukulele suffers from the same thing steel guitar does. While they both have their share of amazing players, I find many of the recordings to be way to digital, and way to overproduced for my ear. I suppose it has to do with all this early 1900's music laying around, but I want nothing electronic cluttering up my music.

This explains what my ear is doing so much better than my rambling.
This is what I think uke (and all other music) ought to sound like- so clean and beautiful

Even though I don't play that much of it, I really like all the Hawaiian tunes. If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be Wahine Ilikea. Deg posted a video so here is an audio version which was done in a more controlled environment known as the world wide web. My good friend Kirby Keough recorded a couple of tracks and sent them to me to add an ukulele track. I always look forward to playing this one when visiting Kirby on Kauai.

Wahine Ilikea

Wahine Ilikea will always be a Kanikapila favorite. The mele has been covered by many of the Hawaiian artists as well as local groups . . . but IMO, the versions performed by the Rev. Dennis Kamakahi who also composed the mele are the ones to listen to. You should also listen to his other compositions like Pua Hone, Kokee and Na Makani Eha. Enjoy . . .

Last edited:
I'm gonna try and compile all the info from that Hawaiian Mele thread to make one list. I'll format to include lyrics, chords, and video. It might take a while with everything else I have going on, so your patience will be appreciated.

Top Bottom