baritone tuning question

Mike M3

Reaction score
I ordered a set of baritone strings to try on a banjo.They are A E C G tuning.I now have a baritone uke,is it ok to put these strings on my baritone and tune them like this or does it need to be the normal baritone tuning.I would just use these on my tenor banjo but I really want to hear this uke....Mike (I just ordered a set of standard baritone strings,might just wait and put these on it to have the right baritone tuning)

Last edited:
Aloha Mike,
I guess you might have bought Aquilla baritone strings,,,I'd check on that one, they may have printed it wrong backwards...AECG....GCEA MM Stan

Stan,thanks,yes these should be GCEA as I specified I wanted this soprano tuning to put on my tenor banjo,mainly needed the length.The ones I just ordered are EGBD baritone strings(is how they list them,I would guess this is backward for the DGBE tuning)....Mike

Last edited:
A lot of Tenor banjos (like mine) were made with the same 20" scale as the Baritone Uke. Measure from the nut to the bridge. If that is about 20", then tune them as you had them on the banjo.

DGBE are baritone strings in the "normal" fashion. Like the "top" four strings of a guitar. I love having a baritone uke in the midst of a bunch of re-entrant ukes playing in ensemble.

There are some alternate string sets for baritone (or suggestions for using guitar strings to get a GCEA tuning). Personally, I prefer the standard D tuning on te baritone beacuse it gives me an alternate sound to play with, and it's a bit easier for me to play along with guitar music and backing tracks (I played guitar 40+ years). But also, the lower tone of the D tuning gives you additional richness of sound.

Just as there is a higher pitch tuning for ukes (ADF#B), I suspect you could uptune a baritone (might need new or alternate strings though) a step from DGBE to EAC#F# but it might be awkward for chord matching.

If you want to play key of C (GCEA) on your Baritone, try it with a low 4th string (linear tuning). With the high 4th, key of C is pretty weak. You don't get the volume out of a wood body that you do out of the banjo drum. Dropping your 4th string gives a much fuller, richer sound, and an overall tonal value that is an excellent match for the Baritone body volume. We have a set that works for this (our Linear Uke Strings).

The other nice feature with this tuning is that on a Baritone, with it's 20" scale length, you get to leave wound strings behind. It is really the only instrument where this works well. To us, the linear key of C is better on the Baritone than on the Tenor Uke.

Thanks Bruce,very informative.Once I go through the standard tuned baritone strings I ordered I will try this,sounds neat...Mike

Top Bottom