Does anyone besides Aquila make tenor dGBE strings?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching things up with my tenor and tuning it to dGBE. I've tried GCEA Aquila strings on it and I wasn't a fan.

I can't find any brands other than Aquila that make tenor dGBE. Does anyone know? Thanks! :)

Not that I'm aware of, aside from making your own set from single strings.

However, my experience is that the Aquila G-tuning tenor set is quite different from the C-tuning set. The strings on the G-tuning set are much thicker so the feel is different, and I found the tone warmer with nice sustain. I really like the G-tuning set, and I don't like Aquila C-tuning tenor strings -- so in other words, you should give them a try...

Okay thanks for your help. Hmm, if the strings are much thicker then I'll probably have to file the slots in the nut quite a bit to make them wider. I'm not crazy about that idea... I might have to think this over before I make that decision haha.

I am not sure if Martin still makes them or not. Their Tenors used to come dGBE.
I use Aquila, but don't like the wound G, so I use the "B" in its place and a "C" from a GCEA set for the "B"
I am going to try "Guadalupe" strings next time, they are a custom string maker in LA. They will put together a set for customers.
So instead of me using to sets to make one, will order from them. I have used other strings from them and have been happy.

The dGBE Aquilas are much different sounding than the gCEA's.

Aloha Natalie,
What is it dont you like about them...too bright or muddled???Have you tried to drop the tuning...and slowing down so that strings resonate more and that slows down the tempo??? Stan..

Okay thanks for your help. Hmm, if the strings are much thicker then I'll probably have to file the slots in the nut quite a bit to make them wider. I'm not crazy about that idea... I might have to think this over before I make that decision haha.

You may be lucky and don't need to file the slots.
I used the Aquila dGBE strings on 2 ukes (Kala Archtop, Eleuke) and neither needed to be filed.

You may be lucky and don't need to file the slots.
I used the Aquila dGBE strings on 2 ukes (Kala Archtop, Eleuke) and neither needed to be filed.

Ditto. I have them on my tenor Fluke and didn't need to file the slots. It's at least a relatively inexpensive experiment, worth trying it out.

Re-entrant DGBE is a really cool tuning for tenors and baritones -- more ukers should give it a try!

Hmm, the reason I thought I'd have to file down the slots is that I currently have my tenor strung gCEA and the low-G Savarez string (which is wound) is too wide to fit in the slot. Right now it's just perched on top of it. I thought I might have trouble with the Aquilas since ukeatan mentioned they're pretty wide.

mmstan, to answer your question... I didn't like the GCEA Aquilas on my tenor because they made it sound a little too brash. I've always looked for more of a guitar sound from that uke so it wasn't the sound I was going for. The Savarez strings have always worked really well, I'd just like to try the dGBE tuning for a change.

If you want to tune up one step (to key of A), our Heavy Gauge set will sound great on a standard tenor, and are a good bit thinner than the Aquilas.

That key is a very nice fit for a Tenor body (the recommendation of the Ukulele Handbook) and we have gotten a lot of very favorable feedback on that set-up.

I have a Fender Tenor with Aquila strings. I put a Pro Arte classical guitar D string on it in place of the high G ad tuned it to low G. It works well. I have a Savareze Classical guitar D string on an Ohana SK15BL for the low G with Worth browns and it sounds very nice. If you have two ukes of the same size, why not make one of them a low G uke. The single guitar strings are about two dollars each. And are available in most local music shops.

I bought worth clear baritone strings and put the gbe in the correct place then used the other half of the e string for the high d it works nice here is a sample video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYCqBcmMPAY

Top Bottom