Should I feel guilty for playing the guitar?

monty

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering how many of you play the guitar as well as the uke?
I have a massive urge to pick up the guitar and give it a strum even though i've got these songs I want to practice on uke.. and I feel like i'm cheating on the uke!

Music is music is music. Totally play guitar if you are into it. Hendrix switched to guitar after playing 'ukulele for a bit. I just recommend focusing on one or two instruments and not becoming a "jack of all trades, master of none".

Of course you feel guilt.
You should be very ashamed of yourself for playing the abomination called 'guitar'.

To repent for your sins against the uke, you must sell your guitar and buy another uke in its place.
I don't ever want to see you with a guitar, or even speak of the name 'guitar' ever again.

I think you need to hang your head in shame for even considering it. Just kidding of course. I'm a guitar convert. Everytime I take mine out of the case now it feels like I'm holding a table (or something equally large) and it isn't a large guitar.

Hey, I play the accordion. (Don't kill me.)

Think of yourself as a metaphorical sailor who has an instrument in every port.

or at least uses his *instrument* in every port!!!......sorry :eek:

hi Monty,

like you, I'm a guitar convert, having played and sang near on 20 years before I even considered the ukulele.

Now, 5 years down the track, I honestly hardly ever pick up my guitars anymore...I only play it when I have to - for the choir accompaniment or worship leading at church - otherwise I don't even think about it.

But don't feel guilty Monty...it's like when couples separate you know...you still see each other sometimes until such time as you get over it or meet another partner!!!

For the first couple of years I was still doing gigs with the acoustic guitar, but now it seems like what JerlialProphet said...it feels so massive, like a great piece of furniture and I've just fallen out of love with the sound of it. TOTALLY obsessed by the beautiful, diminutive and humble uke!!!

Hey Monty,

There should be absolutely nothing wrong with picking up a new instrument. Remember, learning new things is always an advantage. From a musician's perspective, playing a variety of musical instruments would definitely benefit you!

I do vocal training, and I play the electric guitar, flamenco guitar, bass, piano and percussion. The ukulele is something I just picked a few days ago.
And I admit I'm doing pretty well with the ukulele because of my experience with guitar techniques. I might consider learning how to play the ukulele with proper techniques soon though.

So in regards to your question, I'd say GO FOR IT! You'll never regret it.
For me, I'm really starting to love ukuleles more and more, that's why I joined this forum :)

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you play the guitar as well as the uke?
I have a massive urge to pick up the guitar and give it a strum even though i've got these songs I want to practice on uke.. and I feel like i'm cheating on the uke!
My background is in classical guitar, but these days I play uke more than guitar. If anything, I feel like my uke playing is cheating on the guitar.

if you want to play the guitar, play the guitar. contrary to popular belief, the ukulele will not burst into flames if you touch something other than a four-stringed instrument.

I publish Ukulele Player Magazine and I play guitar fairly regularly. Guitars can do things that ukuleles cannot do and don't let anyone tell you that it isn't true. But, I play ukulele every day and in many ways, I prefer ukulele to guitar. I love guitar. I love ukulele. I love other instruments, too, because above all... I LOVE MUSIC!

I love the passion I got with this question - top work UU, I played the guitar and it was wonderous! (though not as wonderous as the new uke will be... *impatient pout*)

Well i would say play what ever your in the mood to play, because if you dont you wont feel satisfied..
I'm also an ex-guitarist, which after 20 years playing, giggin and stuff have only picked up once in the last 6 months since first getting my ukulele..I could still play it but my heart is not in it no more, and since april when i first strummed those nylon 4 strings there has been no looking back.. I can honestly say i do not miss the guitar, the sound and size of it, for i have discovered the delights of the great sounding, lovley feeling, ever so portable Ukulele...

But if i did fancy a strumm on the ol'guitar i would.. Its just that i dont :)

Well i would say play what ever your in the mood to play, because if you dont you wont feel satisfied..
I'm also an ex-guitarist, which after 20 years playing, giggin and stuff have only picked up once in the last 6 months since first getting my ukulele..I could still play it but my heart is not in it no more, and since april when i first strummed those nylon 4 strings there has been no looking back.. I can honestly say i do not miss the guitar, the sound and size of it, for i have discovered the delights of the great sounding, lovley feeling, ever so portable Ukulele...

But if i did fancy a strumm on the ol'guitar i would.. Its just that i dont :)

Cokecan hit the nail on the head for me. I actually played my guitar yesterday and it didn't feel right I used to really connect with the music when I gigged playing guitar but now I have so much passion for the uke and the music when playing uke i don't think me and guitar will ever get back what we had!

...I feel like i'm cheating on the uke!
I played guitar for 40+ years before I picked up the uke and hardly ever went back to it afterwards. Eventually sold my remaining guitars. But many players enjoy both equally, so play what gives you pleasure.

Of course, it's kind of like driving a clumsy SUV when your TR-6 sports car waits in the driveway... but I suppose SUVs, like guitars, have their uses. Like playing country and western music. Or driving the kids to the mall.

Just play music.

Use the instrument that allows you to play what you want to express musically and enjoy it. As Bill1 said: "Just play music.)

Top Bottom