Having uke issues again...

Ame

Reaction score
I dont know why I'm having problems with this fairly new uke..

So, this time the same string that had the slipping off the nut problem (which isn't much of a problem anymore, thanks guys!), is now having a vibration sound problem.. When I strum all the strings upward I can hear a buzz down at what I think is called the saddle, yes? (when I strum downward I can hear it, but not as much..) and when I pluck it I can hear it even more. I think the buzz is coming from down there, but maybe it isn't?

Well, if it is, has this happened to any of you guys? and if so, what should I do? new strings? fix the saddle?.. bleh. I shouldnt be having so many issues with a new uke.. haha and I swear I treat it as if it were a baby. I don't misuse it or anything, so I dont think I did something to it.

Thanks for any help guys!

bummer -- i looked back at the old thread, and there were a number of fixes mentioned, but no word on what ended up working for you -- what did you end up doing to correct it??

If it's cars, plumbing, ukes or whatever - the first place to investigate a new problem is the last thing you worked on.

If you cut the nut slot deeper, there's a chance you may have gone a little too deep and you're buzzing on the frets now?? Just a thought.

Last edited:
bummer -- i looked back at the old thread, and there were a number of fixes mentioned, but no word on what ended up working for you -- what did you end up doing to correct it??

If it's cars, plumbing, ukes or whatever - the first place to investigate a new problem is the last thing you worked on.

If you cut the nut slot deeper, there's a chance you may have gone a little too deep and you're buzzing on the frets now?? Just a thought.

dang you might be right..

I had my dad sand it down a little, because he knows about guitars and such so I thought he'd know how to fix it haha but He might've have gone too deep. Though He fixed it awhile ago and It was fine, but I hadn't noticed a problem till today.

But this does sound like what might've happened. :\

is it only the string/slot that was worked on buzzing? does it buzz only when played open or also when fretted? have you isolated which string(s) is/are buzzing?

if it is a nut thing, they are pretty easy to replace (cheap too), so fear not!

is it only the string/slot that was worked on buzzing? does it buzz only when played open or also when fretted? have you isolated which string(s) is/are buzzing?

if it is a nut thing, they are pretty easy to replace (cheap too), so fear not!

i havent worked on anything for the buzzing since it just started doing that today. It buzzes open and fretted and I believe it to be the E string having the problem. (which was the same string that was giving me problems before.

So you hear a buzz when you strum all the strings, eh? Bummer. In your OP you said that it also happens when you pluck it? Does "it" refer to all the strings, or just the E string?

You have to isolate the buzz, like MOK said. I know you said you believe it's the E string, but make sure. Listen very closely as you pluck each string. Go up and down the fretboard, plucking every string on every fret.

So you hear a buzz when you strum all the strings, eh? Bummer. In your OP you said that it also happens when you pluck it? Does "it" refer to all the strings, or just the E string?

You have to isolate the buzz, like MOK said. I know you said you believe it's the E string, but make sure. Listen very closely as you pluck each string. Go up and down the fretboard, plucking every string on every fret.

Yea I actually just did that, and I know for sure it's the E-string. :\

my c string buzzes too, so ima keep an eye out on this thread.

How old are your strings?

Since it just started today, there's a good chance that you're just due for a new set of strings.

Also, when you do change strings, make sure that the saddle isn't grooved where the string sits...it's not very common for an E string to groove a saddle, but it can happen with higher tension strings coupled with a soft saddle material.

Last edited:
If it's giving you a lot of problems. Contact Mike Upton at Kala. Tell him it's the uke you won from Ukulele Underground. He's near the Bay Area. Or you could email me the problems and I can forward it to him.

I've been experiencing this for a while with a couple of my ukes too... Gonna be doin some cosmetic upgrades (hopefully) in the near future. I wanna fix these problems too in one whole shebang.

Maybe I'll jus hit up a local music store and see what they say.

Yea I actually just did that, and I know for sure it's the E-string. :\

Hi, something to try next is you can isolate the buzz at the nut by taking a fingernail tip and pressing the string down into the nut slot as you pluck the string. If the buzzing stops that's where the problem is. Nut slots that are filed at the improper angle and/or too wide can cause a string buzz. But no worries, they can be built back up with a baking soda/superglue mixture that can then be re-filed if they are way off. My first guess would be the the angle is just off. You might have your Dad re-angle the slot by running the file just a tiny tiny bit with the angle running back toward and at the same angle as the head stock lies. The idea is to have the string contacting the nut only at a peak on the fretboard side of the nut. If it makes contact on the headstock side first it will buzz in it's own slot. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

When I strum all the strings upward I can hear a buzz down at what I think is called the saddle, yes?

If your buzz is at the saddle, the problem likely lives down there. It could be a loose brace in the body. More likely, in my uninformed opinion, is that the top of the saddle is too flat. The top of the saddle should come to a peak at the point where the string crosses it. If it doesn't, the fulcrum point for the string will be the back of the plateau, and the string will buzz on the table-top of the plateau.

You have a lot of good information already, all of which are appropriate fixes for various sources of buzzing. If you're adamant about finding it yourself, I would go to Frank Ford's site and read up on buzzing.

Initially, I would've guessed the nut. But, since it buzzes fretted as well as open, it's probably something else (but, that doesn't mean it couldn't be the nut AND something else).

Before you touch anything on the instrument, what kind of strings do you have on? There is a certain brand, popular with a LOT of players, that can cause problems. I've experienced only intonation problems, but there are many others with consistency problems that lead to things such as buzzing. That said, I would change the strings first, especially if your dad didn't touch the saddle and lower the action.

Just my $.02 - Aaron

There is a certain brand, popular with a LOT of players, that can cause problems. I've experienced only intonation problems, but there are many others with consistency problems that lead to things such as buzzing.

I assume you're talking about the ones with the birdie on the pack ;) Their stiffness causes the occasional intonation problem for me on short scale ukes, but I can't let go of the sound. What alternative do you prefer?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Just curious.

If your buzz is at the saddle, the problem likely lives down there. It could be a loose brace in the body. More likely, in my uninformed opinion, is that the top of the saddle is too flat. The top of the saddle should come to a peak at the point where the string crosses it. If it doesn't, the fulcrum point for the string will be the back of the plateau, and the string will buzz on the table-top of the plateau.

+1 what Crow said. My first suspicion would be a loose brace but the saddle surface is a probably culprit.

Saddles (particularly synthetic ones) are inexpensive to replace. If you know how, they're easy to modify.

I assume you're talking about the ones with the birdie on the pack ;) Their stiffness causes the occasional intonation problem for me on short scale ukes, but I can't let go of the sound. What alternative do you prefer?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Just curious.

Sorry about further hijacking, but honestly, this is a source of a lot of problems that I've seen.

No big secret about those strings. Funny, a lot of players like the volume of the strings, but for me, personally (especially on Tenors), volume isn't everything. Paul Okami once built a Custom and altered his bracing pattern for the player. End result wasn't your typical LOUD KoAloha. Yes, volume was down, but only slightly, however, complexity reached new heights.

This is the best way for me to share the why I use a certain string is that, complexity. I've run the gamut, and wanted to settle on D'Addario (just because they're cheap, and match my Tenors well), then eventually, reluctantly (because I thought they were expensive), settled on Savarez. I actually use both, depending on the player and the instrument. Only problem (for some) is they are bigger guaged than traditional `ukulele strings, so the nut has to be recut, properly (not so much with the Savarez, but definitely the J46/J50 D'Addario's). In the end, a set of Savarez will cost over $13 to install, which is basically nothing when the instrument cost so many times more. I know William King uses Savarez as well, but he uses the Corum basses, which I don't. Again, preference to the instrument, as well as the player.

that sucks Ame :( its a nice ukulele and sounds great and all these problems :( but it will work out in the end :)

Yea, I love this uke and it's too bad it's having some issues so soon. :\ but I plan on taking it in a musical instrument repair shop sometime this week or next.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions guys! I really appreciate it. iharttheUUfamily! :D

Top Bottom