Advice needed on Kala repair or replacement

Seanmc

Reaction score
This is a bit long but would appreciate some advice and I apologise for such a negative first post.

I purchased a Kala flame maple soprano about 3 weeks ago after trying many different ukes in the store. I definitely preferred the sound to all others.
Once I had it home noticed a buzzing that would come and go, after about a week I took it back to the store and they were helpful. Had a look at it and filed a burr off the saddle, took it home again but the buzzing continued, off and on.
Took it back again and they offered to replace it, the only problem being that the flame maple spruce tops are hard to get. Eventually the replacement arrives, sounds great, all seems good.
At home I begin to tune it and notice something is not right with the sound hole, looks like it was cut out with a hacksaw blade, this makes me have a closer look over the whole uke and it look like it has been around awhile, definitely not brand new, maybe a demo model. The build date appears to be December 08.
So I will take it back again, I know they will offer to sand the sound hole and make it OK. But what would you do in this situation.
a) Accept the repair, I am concerned how close the hole will be to the braces once sanded.
b) Ask for a partial refund for the trouble and fact that it is not new.
c) Get a refund and look elsewhere or perhaps exchange for something else.
d) Ask them to replace it again, although I think it is unlikely they will be able to source another in the near future.
Any other options to suggest. I do really like the sound of this uke or I would have given up on it long ago.

Picture of the problem:
P1000320.jpg

Personally, I would ignore it. It won't effect sound or playability at all. The cosmetic flaw may bother you now, but after awhile you'll have dents, dings, and scratches and you probably won't even remember the bumpy sound hole.

Aloha Seanmc,
For me too, just as Skitzic said....It's only asthetics....if it sounds good, I'd keep it...Your Kala is a budget priced uke, however that's kinda rough...but I wouldn't call them back....
Accept it and be happy....small kind stuff.. Just be happy it plays well and sounds good!! Good Luck and be happy you don't have a buzz no more...MM Stan...

Aloha Seanmc,
For me too, just as Skitzic said....It's only asthetics....if it sounds good, I'd keep it...Your Kala is a budget priced uke, however that's kinda rough...but I wouldn't call them back....
Accept it and be happy....small kind stuff.. Just be happy it plays well and sounds good!! Good Luck and be happy you don't have a buzz no more...MM Stan...

I agree!!! Besides, you need to start saving up for a "K"brand uke!!!!

I got a Makai spruce top tenor a while back with a similar sound hole though not as severe. It bugged me a little at first, but I don't even notice it now, and no one else has noticed it. It's one of my favorite players and for what I paid for it I have no complaints. If you like the way it plays I recommend you either get the shop to sand it or do it yourself, it's a pretty easy fix. I guess if they can get another one you could try it, but it wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Top Bottom