Resawn Spaulted Paduak, Feedback Please

agilitydog

Reaction score
I have just tried my first resawing (on a table saw, no band saw available) on this piece of quartersawn spaulted paduak. The spaulted pattern became very much more uniform after the cut (pictured). The pieces shown are about 6.5"x 24.5"x.145" each. This wood is so pretty I thought I'd ask for input from anyone who has experience with backs of this type. I'm new to this; it was supposed to be a "get to know your wood and skills" exercise. Thoughts? Thanks, in advance.

Attachments

• paduak2.jpg
    paduak2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 119
  • paduak1.JPG
    paduak1.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 93
That's looks great to me...Pity it wasn't resawn on the Bandsaw, You could have got more like it.

The only trouble I see is that the really beautiful spalting is so low on the boards you might lose most of it when you cut the back shape out of it. Awefully pretty wood. If it looks like you can't capture it with a Uke, conside another use for it that will let you highlight the whole pattern.

Sure is beautiful. I wonder what a pineapple would look like? Might use more of the spalting.

This may be the male in me talking, but all I can see in the spalting is a woman in a bikini top.

Thoughts?

You asked. . . cutting wood on a tablesaw is not "resawing" per se. No piece of wood is worth a finger (or more).

The grain doesn't look quartered, but if it is, then it looks like it has runout, add that to the mold, Chuck has it right with the CA. Can you say, "Let's move (groove) tonight. . ."

I wonder the the bottom looks like. . . if this was BRW, probably not a whole lot there at all . . . (are we still talking about wood?).

Thank you for the ideas. The spaulted areas are hard as a rock. Is there a down side to saturating the area with ca as Chuck suggested? I posted this because I know so little about evaluating this type of wood. I'm gathering from Kekani's comments that, looks notwithstanding, this is not a great piece of wood. Though it was sold to me as quartersawn, I appreciate your keen eyes. I've uploaded a couple of other shots but I still am having trouble seeing the women in bikini tops! Must be the runout.

Attachments

• P1010490.JPG
    P1010490.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Whatdousee.jpg
    Whatdousee.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 37
Second picture, focus on the board on the left, squint your eyes. It's so clearly a woman...small receding head... not sure now, maybe man boobs in bikini top?

I helped sand this to 1/8-inch thickness and never noticed the boobs, er, bikini, er, shapes, er, I helped sand this...

The area in question is pretty firm, er, solid, er, intact, er, I helped sand this...

Almost fell out of my chair laughing. Have major headache and forgot about it for a few minutes. Thanks.

Top Bottom