Need emergency help in 808 with MiSi install

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Hi I am here in Oahu for a couple more days before I go to Kauai. My MiSi pickup is not working in my Kamaka. I took my amp and cord to Puapua and they said it is the pickup. I'm not sure if the pickup is bad or the install is. Is there ant one in the 808 who coiled take a look at it for me? I know Kamaka won't since they didn't do my install. Help my 808 UU brothers and sisters! Please!

Is it charged up?

This was my very first thought. If it was not charged after the install then most certainly that would be the problem. I recently installed a MiSi and purposely checked to see if the pickup had any life before charging it and it was deader than a door nail.
Good luck,

I initially charged it a while back, it was a long time ago, but if I recall, it holds that charge until used. I don't have the charger with me, but I tried the 9volt battery method and it still didn't work. :(

I initially charged it a while back, it was a long time ago, but if I recall, it holds that charge until used. I don't have the charger with me, but I tried the 9volt battery method and it still didn't work. :(

It starts discharging immediately after you're done charging it, whether or not you're plugging it into the amp or not. The amp is not drawing power from the Mi-Si pickup. The pre-amp is in effect continuously "on" once it's charged until it runs out of power from the internal capacitor. So it should only work for 8-16 hours (IIRC) after charging for 60 seconds. I have not tried the 9V method, but you would need to make sure the proper lead on the stereo cable is connected to the battery properly for it to charge the pre-amp. Refer to the "Useful Tip" at the bottom of the Mi-Si manual for how to charge with the 9V batter: http://mi-si.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/trio.manual_1.pdf

Call Brian at KoAloha. They do MiSi installs so the might have a charger that you could use.

Call Brian at KoAloha. They do MiSi installs so the might have a charger that you could use.

George - thanks for the info, maybe I am lucky and it does just need a charge then.

Ronnie, I will try giving KoAloha a call then today or tomorrow. Do you think they will let me even though it is a Kamaka? Maybe if I buy a factory second while I am there.

...Do you think they will let me even though it is a Kamaka? Maybe if I buy a factory second while I am there.

Wicked...hope you fix you problem! Sounds like a perfect chance to buy a KoAloha!!!!

Hi I am here in Oahu for a couple more days before I go to Kauai. My MiSi pickup is not working in my Kamaka. I took my amp and cord to Puapua and they said it is the pickup. I'm not sure if the pickup is bad or the install is. Is there ant one in the 808 who coiled take a look at it for me? I know Kamaka won't since they didn't do my install. Help my 808 UU brothers and sisters! Please!

Aloha tracy,
I heard Kamaka installs them here, contact them...531-3167
I hope it helps...Good Luck!! and have a happy vacation.....
Another place is Dan's guitar...outside waikiki 5 min...McCully and Beretania..
Telephone #942-2900 2000 South Beretania Street Unit "B"
A farther one is Kanile'a ukuleles... Stan

Thanks guys for the tips...I tried Dan's Guitars and Island Guitars and neither had a charger. I also called Good Guys, Kamaka and KoAloha, with no luck. I sent a message to Kristen Souza of Kanile'a (although I do feel terrible asking them to help me with the uke of another company). KoAloha told me to try MGM so I will go beg him now. :(

MGM will definitely hook you up. He sells the pickups individually and installs them, so he has the means to help.

Have you had your eye on any other ukes since you've been on Oahu?

MGM will definitely hook you up. He sells the pickups individually and installs them, so he has the means to help.

Have you had your eye on any other ukes since you've been on Oahu?

I hope so...I sent him a PM begging for help. :)

I did go to a couple of stores - I saw a crown bridge KoAloha (I think it was a super concert?) and a beautiful Kanilea. Nothing called to me enough to buy it, but my fave store is in Kauai so all bets are off when I get to Larry's.

It starts discharging immediately after you're done charging it, whether or not you're plugging it into the amp or not. The amp is not drawing power from the Mi-Si pickup. The pre-amp is in effect continuously "on" once it's charged until it runs out of power from the internal capacitor. So it should only work for 8-16 hours (IIRC) after charging for 60 seconds. I have not tried the 9V method, but you would need to make sure the proper lead on the stereo cable is connected to the battery properly for it to charge the pre-amp. Refer to the "Useful Tip" at the bottom of the Mi-Si manual for how to charge with the 9V batter: http://mi-si.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/trio.manual_1.pdf

Hmm...I may have to eat what I've posted above. I have 3 ukes with Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup installed and I tried them tonight. I think I had charged one of them maybe within the last month, but I know the other two had not been charged for a very long time, possibly over a year. All three came through my acoustic amp fine despite not having been charged recently. So I guess it holds the charge when you're not playing it through an amp, which is not what I understood to be the case before.

Anyway, keep us posted on whether charging it resolves the problem for you. Hopefully MGM can help.

I KNEW I'd run into this one day, not personally, but at the expense of someone else. I always carry an extra 9v with me for a number of reasons - DI, and active pickups a la LR Baggs. 9v won't work with a MiSi (unless you have a stereo cord).

Thanks for reminding me of one of the reasons I have a preference for the real thing.

... 9v won't work with a MiSi (unless you have a stereo cord). ...

I'm going to have to go to Radio Shack & get a 9-volt battery holder & a 1/4 stereo plug & wire up a quick & dirty - on the fly Mi-Si emergency charger! Seems like a no-brainer...

Top Bottom