Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele

Nuprin

Reaction score
I was speaking with my Yamaha rep today about the possibility of getting a GL-1 guitalele. These are currently not available in the US and I was hoping he might be able to pull some strings and get me one. If not, I was hoping to get dimensions of the guitalele compared to Yamaha's CGS102 1/2 size classical. According to my rep, he couldn't give me much information but he did say that the guitaleles are coming to the US and will be available soon. Just a heads up to anyone who has been wanting one.

That is good news. I don't know what took them so long. But, I will believe it when UU folks say it's here! Soon is a vague timeframe. Does that mean before Christmas?
–Lori

That is good news. I don't know what took them so long. But, I will believe it when UU folks say it's here! Soon is a vague timeframe. Does that mean before Christmas?
–Lori

Not sure, he wouldn't give me any other information. Just that he'd get me more info once they get closer to making these available in the US. I'll send along updates when I get more info.

They are available here in Canada.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/4609/Guitars/Classical/Yamaha/GL1_-_Guitalele.htm

I tried one out at a local store. I went there with the intention of buying one, but it felt kinda weird and I left 'undecided'. I'll prob. pop in again and try it again. It's pretty inexpensive, so maybe I'll buy one anyways..........

Heh...I checked the Long and McQuade site, and it appears that unless you feel like visiting Winnipeg, Manitoba or Burlington, Ontario, you're out of luck. L&M is otherwise completely out of guitaleles (yes, its online store as well). Of course, the website could be lying.

Yes you are correct, L&M does only have a few across the country. I used L&M as an example because they had a pic and price on their site.
I have walked into a few small music stores here ( BC ) and found them in stock. The one I played was selling for $105 CDN, so just 10 bux more than L&M.

I wish they made the GL-1 with different artsy designs, kind of like what Luna does with their guitars. If they did that, I'd be all over them!

I'm very torn in regards to the guitalele. The Kala Utar is (roughly) $230. The guitalele is around $100. I know the Yamaha is a lam (although I've heard conflicting reports that top top is solid) and the Kala is supposed to be solid...hm. Kala has discontinued the Utar, so once their stock is gone that's it. Yamaha is just bringing it into the States...decisions decisions.

The Yamaha Guitalele is definitely lam., it actually looks a bit thick too. Most Kala's are lam. too afaik. Don't know about the Utars' top tho'.

The Yamaha Guitalele is definitely lam., it actually looks a bit thick too. Most Kala's are lam. too afaik. Don't know about the Utars' top tho'.

The UTAR top is solid. I played around with a UTAR recently and it has a really nice sound to it. I'd really like to hear a comparison video with the Kala and the Yamaha, but that's unlikely.

The Kala U-Tar is a solid spruce top, laminated mahogany body instrument. I had one but got rid of it because, with the long scale length they used, it felt top heavy towards the neck end. They should have used a tenor scale length with the tenor body. Mine didn't have a very big sound to it either.

Hey Nuprin!!! I didn't know that you we're interested in a guitarlele!!! I owned 2 of these, they are ok and nice sounding for the price...The thing I hate is that the head is way too heavy and then neck is too thick!!!

I prefer by far, my Koaloha D-VI or my Kanile'a GL6 or my custom Dave Sigman spruce top- Brazilian Rosewood guitarlele. I think the biggest and fullest sound is coming from the Kanilea GL6.....

Hey Nuprin!!! I didn't know that you we're interested in a guitarlele!!! I owned 2 of these, they are ok and nice sounding for the price...The thing I hate is that the head is way too heavy and then neck is too thick!!!

I prefer by far, my Koaloha D-VI or my Kanile'a GL6 or my custom Dave Sigman spruce top- Brazilian Rosewood guitarlele. I think the biggest and fullest sound is coming from the Kanilea GL6.....

I'd love to get my hands on a KoAloha or Kanilea guitalele but this purchase is more to just mess around on...I doubt it will get much play. I have a Mya Moe tenor classic coming my way in January and I'm saving up for a Moore Bettah (hoping to get it sometime next summer). So, I really don't want to spend much on this.

I got a little more info from my Yamaha rep today...these should be available in December or January and street price will be around $99.

Nuprin wrote:
I have a Mya Moe tenor classic coming my way in January and I'm saving up for a Moore Bettah (hoping to get it sometime next summer). So, I really don't want to spend much on this.

Are you serious??!!! Man you really got UAS badly!!!! I didn't thought that you would get a new custom as soon as that!!

Me my UAS is done for a while....I'm just having too much fun with my MP squareneck lap steel that all my ukes are staying in their cases!!!

But yeah, if you just want to noodle around, the Yamaha Guitarlele is a bargain and it's really good for the price.....but just like anything, once you get it, you play and if you really like it, well....the UAS start once again!!

wrote:

Are you serious??!!! Man you really got UAS badly!!!!

You speak the truth. I still my MP but was very taken with the sound of myrtle after hearing Matt Dahlberg's NWAS Mya Moe tenor. I originally talked to Gordon & Char (at Mya Moe) about getting a NWAS super soprano tradition...then that evolved into a tenor tradition. In the end, I figured it would only be another couple hundred to upgrade to the classic so I went with that. My proposed starting date is 12/13 and the finish date is 1/11.

The Moore Bettah is an idea I'd been toying with for a long time. I started talking with Chuck about it and he is very easy going about his waiting list...he said he'll put me on and when my build time comes around, he'll email me to see if I want to go forward with it. If so, he needs a $500 deposit. If not, no big deal. His waiting list is somewhere between 6-8 months so I'll have time to fine tune what I want. Now it just comes down to me saving some money...if I can put aside $150 every pay period (2 week period), then I will have enough for the uke by next summer.

Top Bottom