Had My First Formal Lesson Tonight

Capt Roy

Reaction score
I've been lurking around here since about July... I'm 65 and retired and wanted a new challenge for my spare time..

So, I went to Hawaii in September and purchased a Kamata Tenor and took a tour of the factory. I took it to Good Guys music while I was there and they put a low G on it.. I'm getting pretty good with the chords and changing them without looking... Been doing a lot of 1,2,3,4 trying to get my timing and chords down..

I went to Houston tonight and took an hour lesson.. all I can say is wow! I learned so much in an hour that I set up appointments to do this for the next few weeks..

I really want to learn to play jazz and we worked on "Georgia" from the Herb Ohta book tonight..

I ordered his book. Are there any others you would recommend??

Capt Roy

That's great! It is amazing what you can learn in one hour, and it's so motivating to learn more and more!
Good luck and welcome!
I am very new myself, so I can't recommend much.. I don't know much about Jazz uke...

Are there any others you would recommend??

Congrats on the lesson! Sounds like you had a blast. :)

If you haven't already, check out some of the Lyle Ritz books. Really nice jazz uke arrangements.

JJ

You might be interested in the workbook "Jazzy Ukulele" by Glen Rose which is an introduction to movable jazz chords. It's focus is on 3 chord patterns that occur in a lot of jazz. I just got the book and it's got me interested in the Jazz standards. He's also got a few videos on YouTube to give you an idea of his method.

Congrats on your new Kamaka!! Yes the uke is a very fun and addicting instrument. Now you will need to get a concert uke to go along with the tenor!!!! Don't forget to join the Kamaka Klub!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to UU. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Kamaka.

Lessons are the greatest. Welcome to UU.

Capt Roy,

My story is similar as I started the ukulele last December. I have always loved Jazz and had my second uke (a mainland tenor) strung with a low G. I have been working through a number of books myself and have made somewhat decent progress. I too live near Houston and was excited to hear you found an instructor. I have looked high and low and have not found anyone. Do you mind sharing your instructor info with me? You can send me a private message if you prefer.

Thanks, and enjoy your uke.

- Jack

Top Bottom