PDA

View Full Version : America's Got Talent Audition

seeso
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm auditioning for America's Got Talent in a couple weeks, and I don't know what song I should do! Which one would you choose?

If you don't think I should play any of the songs I've listed, please feel free to write in your own!

thatukuleleguy
10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm auditioning when they come to Houston next year and will probably use I'm Yours.

Lexxy
10-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Play james hill's version of billie jean!

Jerlial Prophet
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Awsome, best of luck with this! If you make it onto the show (which, obviously, you should) I may actually watch it!

seeso
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcOuY9nDrMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSg7LOlF_fk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16BE8pKeukw

I haven't made a video for Operator yet.

salukulady
10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Voted for Billie Jean but Fire and Rain is my fav. I think a Michael Jackson tine will wow peeps more.

SuzukHammer
10-20-2010, 05:38 PM
I think while FIre and Rain is a great tune, I think Billie Jean is still relatively contemporary and has plent area to make it yours.

Its got to have wow. catchy runs. hook them in.

Lori
10-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I liked Fire and Rain, and I bet Operator will be good too. I will wait to vote between those two after you post a video on Operator. I think Fire and Rain shows off your unique voice better, and I think Operator might be a good choice as well. Both are great songs, and Fire and Rain is very familiar, which might be a positive or negative. Operator is a great song too, and it really hasn't been played so much recently, as far as I know, so it might feel fresher. Keep us updated. Is this one of those shows where we get to vote?
–Lori

DeG
10-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Still my fav Seeso cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cMdWTEv-4

soupking
10-20-2010, 05:53 PM
That Big Poppa vid is awesome. I think you should mash up a few rap songs- Big Poppa and a couple others, songs that the judges would be familiar with. That would definately get you in the door.

Mim
10-20-2010, 06:03 PM
If you get on TV and run out of cool things to wear... let me know and I will make ya a Mim's Ukes shirt ;)! Ha!

I belive in you! So excited you are doing this!

ukulelezo
10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I love your version of Fire and Rain, but I also love Big Poppa. I am torn.

veep
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Fire and Rain, but if you do well play one of your songs down the road .

itsme
10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't like rap/hip-hop, so Big Poppa is out for me. And think of your voting audience, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I liked Fire & Rain and I'm sure I'd like Operator, too, but they might be a little too "old school" and mellow for some.

Honestly, especially from your performance, I think Billie Jean stands the best chance for riling up the crowd, plus it's more of a "cross generational" hit than the others.

Good luck with your audition. :)

mm stan
10-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Aloha Seeso,
Know your strengths and where they are....I think only you know the answer to that...whether it's ukulele, singing, or both....
Pick a song that you're familiar and comfortable with....and stay within your range...and type of song, fast or slow..or strumming or picking...Good Luck Buddy!
Go for it!!! MM Stan...

Hippie Dribble
10-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Voted for Billie Jean but Fire and Rain is my fav. I think a Michael Jackson tine will wow peeps more.

:agree: all sounded great seeso...but with the uke I think Billie Jean works better...and I'm assuming that, like in Australia, America's Got Talent probably has a fairly "youthful" viewing age demographic...Fire and Rain was awesome and James Taylor is a favorite of an ol' crusty like me, but Billie Jean is a bit more dynamic on the uke and faster tempo might work well at an audition like that...:2cents:

GreatGazukes
10-20-2010, 08:46 PM
If I may be so bold as to express an opinion, I think you sing the ballads better than the pop or hip hop songs. Considering what it is that is talent, I think it is the power to emote, send out a feeling, and I pick this up more in your ballads. I think you harmonise with the ukulele better on those songs too.

RyanMFT
10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I love your version of Fire and Rain....of course I could be biased as I just live James Taylor in general. Good Luck, I'll look forward to hearing how it goes!

Rzr
10-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Tough choices. Save the song you think is the best for the final. You should play War Pigs at some point if Sharon Osbourne is still a judge, but maybe not week one. I mean I've never seen that show. Best of luck Bro.

brucemoffatt
10-21-2010, 01:58 AM
I love your voice in Fire and Rain and I voted for that. Not sure what the judges will prefer but I loved that one. Have fun with it and best of luck.

ukeshale
10-21-2010, 02:09 AM
I'm too indecisive to vote. I love all of those covers. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Ukulele JJ
10-21-2010, 02:10 AM
I thought your version of "Fire & Rain" sounded great, and I suspect "Operator" would be similar. Suits your voice, suits your emotions, sounds good!

But if it were me, I'd rearrange one of them to make it more unusual and/or uke-y. Something that shows talent (i.e., isn't just a gimmick) but that will also really stick out (in a good way). Maybe "Fire and Rain" but with an Iz "SOtR" strum instead of copying pretty much just what James Taylor did. Or slow down an uptempo song (Billie Jean?) to make it a ballad like "Fire and Rain" or "Operator".

For me, the key issue is: Why is it important that you're on a uke instead of a guitar, why is important that you're the guy on stage instead of someone else, and how does your performance and song choice illustrate those things?

Otherwise, you're just another talented guy doing a cover song very well--which is great, but I'm sure they have no shortage of that. I'm not so sure it's the sort of thing that going to get them to pick you over a ballroom dancing five-year-old. a comedian grandmother, or a fire-eating contortionist (which is basically what you're up against).

Good luck, my friend!

JJ

SailQwest
10-21-2010, 02:39 AM
I had to vote Billie Jean, mainly because I perceive it as having more audience appeal.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-21-2010, 03:03 AM
hey Seeso, I think it's awesome you are auditioning!! Try and get a recording or something, because I'd love to see it. If you don't hopefully they show you on t.v.

I've "known" Seeso for around 3 years... you were actually the first youtube player I seen on youtube with the ukulele (bob marley covers)... blown away !!

Anyway, I'll be honest with you Seeso ! ...
I'm a huge michael jackson fan, and even a huge chris brown fan. I hate seeing chris brown try and sing michael jackson's songs.... he does it alright, however, when I hear a michael jackson song, I get really excited (really, I do, and pretty into it), but by saying that, I'm expecting the Michael Jackson level of performance, which, I don't think anybody can compare to (I'm sure everybody will agree).
I listened to all your videos and chose Fire and rain.... I have seen a lot of people try and pull off Michael Jackson songs in a few "*country* has talent", etc, and they always say, it was good... BUT.....

I would say if you choose to do the Michael Jackson song, put all the effort you can, and (like you have), do it Seeso style, which is why I like it.... otherwise, hopefully not, you will get the "it's no michael jackson" response. That is obviously my professional opinion ( haha, anyway). Get the Michael Jackson vibe going in your video... it's a good video, and hopefully the jduegs get in the mood like you do.

Although, fire and rain is a bit slow... if judges are in the mood and all pumped, I guess a slow song they could object, but I thought it souned awesome and played it a few times.

I went to a performing arts school, and most people were selected in from drama, circus, singing, music etc, and it all depended on what mood the addressers(is this even a word?) were in... what they expected next, what they thought was going to continue to be good, turned bad.

I'm not sure, all in all Seeso, I chose fire and rain, it would be good if you did a passionate version of the michael jackson song in front of the camera so I could see, hahaha.... ANYWAY.

Let us know seeso.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-21-2010, 03:06 AM
:agree: all sounded great seeso...but with the uke I think Billie Jean works better...and I'm assuming that, like in Australia, America's Got Talent probably has a fairly "youthful" viewing age demographic...Fire and Rain was awesome and James Taylor is a favorite of an ol' crusty like me, but Billie Jean is a bit more dynamic on the uke and faster tempo might work well at an audition like that...:2cents:

I do agree on the more younger viewing age.... I guess it does bring more vibe, after watching it again, I've seen a few michael jackson pull off's, and a lot of people seem to take it as a joke, rather than seeing what is being done...

not sure why -.-

hoosierhiver
10-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Write in vote for "I'm a queen", that'd get the judges attention!

BadLands Bart
10-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Fire and Rain is my fav of the bunch. Best of luck Seeso....you'll get my vote!!

Jason Paul
10-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Since you're going to be singing, I think the ukulele is going to be secondary to your voice. You're going to be seen more as a singer rather than a ukulele player. So, I think you should pick something that highlights your singing.

Personally, I've always thought of you as a soulful, emotional singer. So of the three videos you posted, Fire & Rain is my favorite. I've always liked your version of "I Shot the Sheriff" too. Of course, you've had lots of great videos - many I probably haven't even seen.

I think "Billie Jean" is too easy to be seen as a joke, or cheesy. I honestly think it would be a mistake to audition with Billy Jean if you're planning on entering as a serious act. Maybe later in the competition if possible, but not early on.

Whatever you choose, I'd say be ready to immediately launch into something impressive, rather than having a long instrumental intro or similar. You know they're going to be rushing through thousands of people, and probably only giving each act a few seconds of attention.

Good luck!!

Jason

Coconut Willie
10-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Loved your Fire and Rain video. To do a super star song ie Billie Jean, it always seems the judges are much harder on the contestant. I think (my 2 cents) is to do Fire and Rain with a soulful twist to it and a good amount of the uke as a solo.
Best of luck to you Seeso, I'm rooting for you!!!!

bbycrts
10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Can you solo the apartment song? Oooh. Even better. Take Zoe with you and be a duet act...

Lori
10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
I think your choice needs to be totally in your vocal range. You should be able to hit every note 100%, so you might have to adjust the key or vocal arrangement to achieve that. Also, when you do a cover of a song, people are comparing you to the original hit version, so you have to make it really different, or really be better than the original performer. On that thought, you might choose something from Bob Dylan, since he had a lot of great songs, but really wasn't a great singer. You are a soulful performer, so sing something that means something to you personally, because I know that sincerity will come across in your performance and put you ahead of the people who are just "posing" what they think is a great performance.

Good Luck!
–Lori

cocohonk
10-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Or slow down an uptempo song (Billie Jean?) to make it a ballad like "Fire and Rain" or "Operator".

Oh wow, I was thinking the same thing when I voted for Billie Jean. Though I see what the others are saying regarding picking a song they'd judge more harshly on.

But anyway, good luck! I'm sure whatever song you end up picking will be the right song.

seeso
10-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Ack! I have no idea. Thanks for the input, everyone. I've got a difficult choice to make.

austin1
10-21-2010, 06:54 AM
write in vote for sweet perdita, because I love that song like woah, although my next choice would be billie jean. it's always fun to take a song everyone knows and throw it back in a new and cool and seeso-y way

Miss Michele
10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Your cover of Rubber Duckie ;) Glad you have decided to do this! I am a big fan of yours! Good luck!