Strings?!?!?!?

mendel

Reaction score
Howdy Y'all!!

I have been really having a great time playing my new Ukulele. I have read a lot about the benefits of changing to something other than stock strings. My question is, as a beginner, is there a real benefit for me to change strings, or is the difference something only a more experienced player will recognize? What do you guys think?

BTW, in case it matters, I play a Lanikai LU-21C. Not sure if that makes any difference or not. Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks, in advance!!

-Mendel

Hey mendel,

Yes changing stock strings does help with the tone of the ukulele, in most cases. What strings do you have on your Lanikai at the moment?

Perhaps look into Aquila strings? (They sound really awesome)

I have no idea what strings are on my Uku right now. They are the ones that were on it when I bought it. There was not a label or anything in the box that named the brand. I am having quite a bit of trouble getting the instrument to hold tune, though.

How long have you been playing with it? Might be possible that the strings haven't stretched long enough yet.

Try screwing in the screws on the tuner? (My current uke had that problem, always went out of tune so i had to screw it tight to hold it in)

Strings...Try searching for Aquila concert strings.

I changed out the strings on my 60 dollar uke to aquilas, it made a difference. I only had the uke a week and half when I did it. I took the old strings off and was scared I would never get the new ones on or play that uke again.. low and behold. I did it and it made a big difference in the sound.

I purchased the strings from Dr cluck on ebay. Great service and excellent price. Under $6 for the set.

Yes....change the strings and put on aquila strings. Your uke is a laminate and the aquila strings will make it sound awesome! No joke. You can get the strings on the net for around $5 or so.

What color are the strings? If they're Black, it's GSH or silvery white (Aquila).

You have some good advice here, just like to add...when the strings are breaking in, they tend to go out of tune quickly..even when you loosen the strings all the way, it would begin the
streching process again...also when you change to the new strings, especially they will take a long time to break in(Strech)Aquila. You could quicken the process by tuning your uke and bending the
strings from side to side to strech them about 3-4 times and retune...Do that whole process of tuning and bending 3-4times daily until the strings will hold it's tune....Good Luck, MM Stan..Also what Kanaka said, The blacks are the factory GHS, and the whites are aquila...Most here prefer Aquila...I like GHS on some ukes too, but not all...personal preference....

If your LU-21C was purchased recently it should already have aquila strings on it I think. I'm pretty sure Lanikai switched to aquila on all of it's ukes. The LU-21S I bought in February came with aquila strings.

I have no idea what strings are on my Uku right now. They are the ones that were on it when I bought it. There was not a label or anything in the box that named the brand. I am having quite a bit of trouble getting the instrument to hold tune, though.
New strings take a while to stretch in, some take longer than others. But it could also be your tuners. Are they fricton or geared? If friction, try tightening the screw on the back of the peg head a very small amount.

What colour are your strings?

Be warned (no one ever says this), New Aquilas stretch like rubber bands for a bit. They will fall out of tune a lot, but when they settle, they will be GOLDEN. Patience is key. Well, that and a digital tuner.

My strings are silvery white so I am assuming they are Aquila. As far as geared or friction tuners, I am a bit ignorant as to the difference. I do not see open gears on the back, but there is a silver disc shaped thing that I believe houses the gears. Overall, I am really happy with the Lanikai. I hope that in years to come, I will purchase a really nice sounding Ukulele, but for now, this is great and I am playing every day. Thank you all for the advice!!!

Top Bottom