Stew Mac Tenor - Can I radius the fretboard?

icuker

Reaction score
If I were to buy the StewMac tenor kit, would it be thick enough to do a radius fretboard, or should I buy a guitar fretboard and cut it down to size?

Also, I searched on radius fretboards and most said they didn't think it mattered much. I know mileage may vary, but I had a Mya Moe Uke in my hands for a few days and absolutely loved it. It was radius'd and maybe a bit wider than the StewMac would be, not sure about the second part.

Did I like it mostly because of the radius or because it had nice action? Also, on a Tenor what would my radius be and how do I set up a sanding block to create the radius? I am a beginner in these things.

Thanks in advance.

I'd contact Stew Mac and see how thick the fret board is that they sell in their kits. Someone else familiar with the kits could tell you. You may indeed have to buy a thicker fret board. Although the crown of the radius will probably be no more than 1/32" tall, you'll need the board to be about 1/16" thicker to allow for the sanding you'll do. You'll also need a radius sanding block and a radius fret pressing tool. All sold by Stew Mac. Could get expensive but they'll love you. It's extremely important that the thickness be ven through the length of the fret board, something that takes a bit of practiced skill when radiusing by hand.
In my business I encounter very few people who want a radiused fret board. A 16" radius (which is common on a tenor uke) is barely noticeable on a narrow ukulele fret board. Guitar players who are used to them on their instruments seem to want them.

If I were to buy the StewMac tenor kit, would it be thick enough to do a radius fretboard, or should I buy a guitar fretboard and cut it down to size?

Also, I searched on radius fretboards and most said they didn't think it mattered much. I know mileage may vary, but I had a Mya Moe Uke in my hands for a few days and absolutely loved it. It was radius'd and maybe a bit wider than the StewMac would be, not sure about the second part.

Did I like it mostly because of the radius or because it had nice action? Also, on a Tenor what would my radius be and how do I set up a sanding block to create the radius? I am a beginner in these things.

Thanks in advance.

The fretboard sold with the StewMac tenor is plenty thick (about 1/4"). Go for it!
Mika

The fretboard sold with the StewMac tenor is plenty thick (about 1/4"). Go for it!
Mika

I'm assuming the FB is already slotted. The problem could be that after sanding the radius the fret tang could bottom out if the slots weren't cut deep enough to allow for the radius. I'm not familiar with the Stew Mac kit but this is something to think about.

Good point Dom. I'm thinking too that the fret board is probably pre-slotted and the slots not deep enough to allow for radiussing. Here's your chance to buy that fret saw you've always wanted to have. Hopefully the nut and saddle material they include is tall enough to radius. If not, StewMac is really going to make some money off this kit. ka-ching ka-ching!

The slots on my tenor kit are about twice as deep as the fret tang. There should be plenty of extra depth assuming the boards are all cut the same way.

Maybe someone, like Mya-Moe, could sell you a radius fretboard and save you a lot of $$$, maybe a lot of frustration too.

QUOTE]
I'd say you liked it because of the set up. If you're a beginner to building and set ups, build the kit and work on getting the action just right. That's really where the rubber hits the road...

Yea, it may be too complicated for a first out attempt. I'll tell you, though, I really liked the Mya Moe neck overall. Slim profile, radius and, not sure, but maybe a bit wider than most. It was a real pleasure to play as an instrument. Some chords I try to play are awkward (Bb, some extended chords, etc) that were a real dream to play on the Mya. It just seemed to fit/cup my hand perfectly. I suppose there's various factors there, but it was impressive. Maybe I'll just need to spring for the real deal. Thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom