New Ohana - Do you like it?

Do you love the looks of my Ohana CK-650?

• Yes - I love the looks!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • No - it's unnatural and scary, give me a round hole!

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
While at the Uketoberfest Jam this weekend, Mim drove up with a tractor trailer full of ukuleles, each one different and let us play them; 8 string, banjo, sopranino, tenor, geared, peg, etc. I fell in love with this one, the action was great (Mim sets each uke up, check her out at www.mimsukes.com).

The spruce top had a great punch and I really loved the looks. Since then I've showed it to alot of folks and either they love it or go run and hide sobbing "the hole isn't round and it's not in the middle" . So I was wondering, do you like it or not?

Attachments

• New Uke 2.JPG
    New Uke 2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 69
  • new uke 1.JPG
    new uke 1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 61
  • new uke 3.jpg
    new uke 3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 101
  • new uke 5.jpg
    new uke 5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 94
I love the look of that uke; however, the only thing that prevents me from buying it is the reputation for the thin spruce top to self destruct, hairline cracks, dings from nowhere seem to have damned the thin spruce design.

Is this "new" design better to prevent damage? Meaning: did they change the bracing or the thickness of the spruce top?

It's cool looking! What's the deal with the fretboard?

Suzuk,

Not a clue if it is different. I've had other spurce top ukes and not had a problem but I live in a swamp so the humidity hovers around 80-100% most of the year. In the winter in the house with the heater on it only get down to 50-55%. But it does get hot down here, 115 heat index, but still humid not like the southeast.

I'm playing it now and I really resonates alot when you play it. What was great about Mim bringing all those ukes to the Jam is that it gave everybody who attended a chance to inspect them and ask questions.

Yes spruce does ding easier but that just gives your uke more character. :D I don't worry about that. I used to "save" my good instruments and would play my cheapos in the heat, at the beach, in the boat, etc. Then I realized I bought the good ones to play. I play the heck out of them now.

Last edited:
It's cool looking! What's the deal with the fretboard?
It's schizophrenic with a multiple personality disorder, doesn't know if it is rosewood or maple. Even though it has side markers the maple bar at the 12 helps out when doing 2nd and 3rd ps chords and is funky lookin. How about that "pickgard"?????

Yes spruce does ding easier but that just gives your uke more character. :D I don't worry about that. I used to "save" my good instruments and would play my cheapos in the heat, at the beach, in the boat, etc. Then I realized I bought the good ones to play. I play the heck out of them now.

Cheers to you!

Suzuk,

Not a clue if it is different. I've had other spurce top ukes and not had a problem but I live in a swamp so the humidity hovers around 80-100% most of the year. In the winter in the house with the heater on it only get down to 50-55%. But it does get hot down here, 115 heat index, but still humid not like the southeast.

I'm playing it now and I really resonates alot when you play it. What was great about Mim bringing all those ukes to the Jam is that it gave everybody who attended a chance to inspect them and ask questions.

I like that answer.

I do agree with it wholeheartedly.

I had heard those ukes are fairly loud and resonant. I want one.

Now get this. I'm thinking of buying a used one because if its already dinged up, nobody would put a high price on it. I do have the same mentality you have. Its just I don't want to pay for a new one if it eventually is susceptible to losing value right off the bat.

Not my style, but it's always cool to read about when someone finds a new instrument that feels so good to them!

Good on 'ya! My Ohana is my "go-to" uke when I get to feeling the need for something special. I've played a couple of spruce-top Ohana sopranos and was very impressed with their ability to sing out loud. My guess is that yours will serve you well.

I like it, but I like weird things. :D

Of course you know I love it!!! But it is more than just the look... that uke is LOUD, but full! The solid spruce and the solid mahogany mix just sings! It is by far my favorite Ohana... I have been trying to rationalize keeping that model for some time.

..just another opinion

It's an attractive 'uke, but I would pass on it. It seems like just another "LOOK AT ME!!" design, especially the fretboard.

I am more of a traditionalist, so it doesn't appeal to me, but I'm not putting it down. Play it, love it!

I saw one of these yesterday and I tried it out. It sounds fine and the sound hole is not a problem. My issue was the plastic surfboard fin looking thing sitting under the strings on the soundboard. And the two tone fingerboard doesn't seem to add much.

The design looks like it incorporated a Mr. Potato Head process where differnet people stuck things on here and there...

...just my opinion.

John

I saw one of these yesterday and I tried it out. It sounds fine and the sound hole is not a problem. My issue was the plastic surfboard fin looking thing sitting under the strings on the soundboard. And the two tone fingerboard doesn't seem to add much.

The design looks like it incorporated a Mr. Potato Head process where differnet people stuck things on here and there...

...just my opinion.

John
Thats a great name for it "Mr Potato Head". Cool!!!

Top Bottom