New "Old Uke" day! Kamaka!

Gmoney

Reaction score
Came home from a trip w/my "newest" addition waiting for me. Its an old Gold Label Kamaka-Keiki in really great condition! Sweet little soprano. From what I understand, Kamaka had these fabricated in Japan to forestall counterfeiting. I believe it is made of Mahogany instead of Koa. If so, it is a lighter mahogany than I've seen. It is in great condition with just a couple of spots that look like tape residue on the back. Will post photographs & better description in the morning... for now, enjoying just playing it.

Kamaka_3.jpgKamaka_4.jpgKamaka_2.jpgKamaka_1.jpgAloha!

Last edited:
Aloha Gmoney,
Congrats on the Kamaka Keiki, yeah those are fabricated in japan and was finished in hawaii...did yours have the sticker in the back of the headstock(fabricated in japan)????
I guess you've got some full blown UAS now.....he he enjoy the new ukulele!!!"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...
And that Mahogany must sound sooo sweet....after all those years!!!!

Congrats on the New Uke!

It's always a joy to find a new one (even if it's old) that will complete your collection - until the next part of UAS sets in!

Aloha Gmoney,
Congrats on the Kamaka Keiki, yeah those are fabricated in japan and was finished in hawaii...did yours have the sticker in the back of the headstock(fabricated in japan)????

Still got the sticker on the back of the headstock - gold sticker in the tiny soundhole (the diameter of the soundhole reminds me of the Kamaka Pineapple's I've seen.) I have to clean it up just a bit... dusty & the original tuners are a little tarnished, but it DOES sound a dream!

Still got the sticker on the back of the headstock - gold sticker in the tiny soundhole (the diameter of the soundhole reminds me of the Kamaka Pineapple's I've seen.) I have to clean it up just a bit... dusty & the original tuners are a little tarnished, but it DOES sound a dream!
Aloha Gmoney,
I use nu finish car polish on all my Kamaka's many, many years and buff them out to a nice shine... brings back the original look and a wonderful job...MM Stan..

Gmoney,

Congratulations on the new "old" Kamaka.

Not to disagree with mm stan, I'm not sure about auto polish on a vintage instrument. I'm saying this not because it won't polish it, but because it will. I have used metal polish on my ukuleles to go from a satin to a gloss handrubbed look on the soundboard and headstock. I first used it on my plastic Jeep windows and it worked so good making them clear again, I decided try it.

If all you want to do is clean, I'd do a little research first.

John

Top Bottom