Are there strains of uas?

raecarter

Reaction score
I'm wondering if uas can mutate to different types of the disease? I recently bought a misi acoustic trio for my mainland and previous to that i had no desire to own an acoustic amp. Since the misi has arrived i have vegan hankering after one of these amps. Yesterday was my birthday and I have just spent a lot of money on a marshall as50d acoustic amp! What type of uas" do I have?

AAS? Amp Acquisition Syndrome?

Happy Birthday for yesterday :D

That AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome)is usually seen in those who suffer from GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) or BAS (Bass Acquisition Syndrome), but it is pretty strong variant. My husband just got over a flare-up of AAS, by buying 2 small amps for his guitar. He was looking to buy just one small portable amp, but he couldn't decide which one he liked best, so he got two. Curse those Guitar Center people... "go ahead, take them both home and try them for 30 days, and return the one you didn't choose". Ha! They know what they're doing. So he has one electric guitar and 4 amps now (like I said, it was a flare-up of a previous condition).

UAS can also migrate to CAS (Case Acquisition Syndrome), SAS (String Acquisition Syndrome), and MBAS (Music Book Acquisition Syndrome). I am sure there are a few more...

–Lori

Watch out for the very serious side effect to AAS...CAS (Cable Acquisition Syndrome)!

~Michael

That AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome)is usually seen in those who suffer from GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) or BAS (Bass Acquisition Syndrome), but it is pretty strong variant. My husband just got over a flare-up of AAS, by buying 2 small amps for his guitar. He was looking to buy just one small portable amp, but he couldn't decide which one he liked best, so he got two. Curse those Guitar Center people... "go ahead, take them both home and try them for 30 days, and return the one you didn't choose". Ha! They know what they're doing. So he has one electric guitar and 4 amps now (like I said, it was a flare-up of a previous condition).

UAS can also migrate to CAS (Case Acquisition Syndrome), SAS (String Acquisition Syndrome), and MBAS (Music Book Acquisition Syndrome). I am sure there are a few more...

–Lori

Jeez, Lori. I didn't need to know about all those types of syndromes. DANG. I think I can see a case of CAS coming my way. I do love a nice case.

Lori's right. I've even had TAS, tuner acquisition syndrome.

I hope by buying an expensive one that I won't need anything else now! Can't wait for it to arrive new amp day!

Rae.. I feel for you! I got my Luna and in desperation have plugged it into my kids practice guitar amps. However, I want an amp SO bad! I hope soon!! I also want a mic (which I can't figure out why ( as why would I want to amplify my horrid singing) but it seems like the thing to do...
Not to mention I already have YAS (yarn acquisition syndrome) which came about 7 yrs ago! I also have 3 kids and 4 cats... Once you start it's hard to stop I guess! definitely a personality thing! Glad I don't love jewls so much!

Oh and a Very happy belated birthday to you!

I nearly forgot HAS (Humidifier Acquisition Syndrome). I have had that pretty bad.
So far, my UAS has been slightly suppressed by having a custom uke in the queue at Mya-Moe. It won't be ready until early February, so knowing that is in the works has seemed to put me in a mild remission. However, if I come face to face with that new hi-low G– 5 string Ohana tenor... well.... my birthday was this month too! Such a good excuse!!
–Lori

Watch out for the very serious side effect to AAS...CAS (Cable Acquisition Syndrome)!

~Michael

Oh yes, I forgot about that one! So true. My husband had that one too. A subset, for those into the tube amps is ATAS (Amp Tube Acquisition Syndrome)... a bit rarer, but very serious never-the-less.
–Lori

GAS does stand for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome but it also stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome which just about covers it all.

Aloah Rae,
Happy Birthday to ya!!! I bundle all mine up into EAS.....guess I'm in denial mode....Equipment Aquisition Syndrome...makes it sound not as bad with all the symptoms...
BTW I have a Marshall MG 15 DFX....and it does the job very well...they're reasonable priced too.. As always, I make sure before buying anything that I'm gonna make
use of it and not collect dust...would be a waste of money, buying something just for the heck of it.....Have Fun and Enjoy!!!"Keep strumming them Strings" MM Stan...

Last edited:
The most lethal variant is VAS (Vintage Aquisition Syndrome). Although doctors have not pinpointed exactly when this strain first appeared, it is believed the first occurance was in the 1980's.

What makes this strain so dangerous is the insatiable desire to aquire objects that are no longer manufactured. If left unchecked it can cuase people to spend tens of thousands of dollars on guitars manufactured in the 50's and 60's that originally sold for a couple of hundred dollars.

The worst examples are typically men in their 50's that are willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on automobiles that represented the pinnacle of the industry long ago. Through their delusion they have convinced themsleves to spend many times more than a better engineered and built car would cost today.

Steps are being taken to try to prevent these people from spreading the disease by encouraging others not to drool or make over the owners of these vintage items. This only encourages more of this type of behavior.

I hope this helps.

John

When I was mainly guitar orientated I had PAS pick acquisition syndrome thank fully the uke stopped that until I found some felt covered 0.54 plectrums for the uke!

Oh, I just wanted to wish you, Rae, a belated Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
aaah Rae

mmm...another case for Doctor Eugene...

Without examining you in person, indeed my friend I fear you have been afflicted with the not-so-rare AAS bug, the rabid offspring of the UAS bug, closely related to the GAS and BAS strains of the umbrella termed "Aquisition Bug" and source of all the variant strains of the syndrome.

Alas, prognosis for sufferers of this virus is not good, although a 3 step treatment plan has been prescribed and met with varying degrees of success:

step i. burn your computer
step ii build a mud brick hut in the bush and live off tap water and rice
step iii join a buddhist monastery

and Rae, as I always advise my clients, should the above treatments fail, take two aspirin and call me in the morning

always, your (friendly) Doctor Eugene

aaah Rae

mmm...another case for Doctor Eugene...

Without examining you in person, indeed my friend I fear you have been afflicted with the not-so-rare AAS bug, the rabid offspring of the UAS bug, closely related to the GAS and BAS strains of the umbrella termed "Aquisition Bug" and source of all the variant strains of the syndrome.

Alas, prognosis for sufferers of this virus is not good, although a 3 step treatment plan has been prescribed and met with varying degrees of success:

step i. burn your computer
step ii build a mud brick hut in the bush and live off tap water and rice
step iii join a buddhist monastery

and Rae, as I always advise my clients, should the above treatments fail, take two aspirin and call me in the morning

I've just laughed out loud in bed. Has any of these cases led to divorce lol?

I've just laughed out loud in bed. Has any of these cases led to divorce lol?

sorry Rae,

I'm afraid that my clients' information is strictly confidential and cannot be disclosed to the public at large.

However, just between you and me, after numerous failed attempts at monastic existence, my wife left me several years ago citing "musical differences"...

...(I loved ukes and she was different :eek:).

Top Bottom