Jake's reaction to my Mainland uke

SimplyLuo

Reaction score
I had the mind-blowing honor of meeting Jake Shimabukuro after his concert last night in Princeton. It was incredible!
I brought my Mainland tenor for him to sign. The moment he saw it, his face lit up. It was pretty funny, he was like a kid with a new toy. He looked it over and said that the wood was gorgeous, that he loved the rope binding. Then he started to play it! I was too enthralled by his playing that I forgot to take a picture of it... Props to Mainland Ukes for their amazing work!
If you haven't seen Jake play live, do everything you can to make it to one of his concerts! Absolutely amazing. He's really humble, too!

on a side note, I noticed that he was using a strap. Does anyone know what strap it is? You can see it in this video, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI30RZOCW6s

Attachments

• jon jake.jpg
    jon jake.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I have never seen him wear a strap before. The concert I saw last year in Glendora was totally sans-strap. I have tickets to see him next March in Orange County! I think I will bring him a Uke Leash or two!!

–Lori

Wow, you are so lucky! I hope to see Jake live... and if he ever played one of my ukes I think I'd faint right there!

Man!, what a terrific experience. Of course, you could never sell that 'uke now..you could never replace it!
:p

You NEVER read about someone meeting a ukulele idol and saying, "What a bastard!"

Reason 623 never to play the guitar again.

That was awesome!!! Too bad I did not know he was in Princeton, would have gone! My bad!

congrats man. He is amazing live. I got to see him perform at Kokua this year. He had an amazing set, then came out with Ziggy to do Beach in Hawaii, then came out at the end with everyone to do three little birds. I didn't get to meet Jake but the day after the show, i met Ziggy on the beach, so thats not to bad. :D

Thats cool. As a new owner of a Mainland Uke (Red Cedar Concert) it's really nice to hear. Thanks for sharing the experience and I'm glad you had such a great time.

Looks like a uke thong.

Definitely not a Uke Thong, I've got one and they're quite different than the one in that video - Uke Thongs are the same width all the way down, the one in the video is thin with a thicker bit around the neck.

The one in the video is more like this one - I've seen slightly nicer ones in music shops but can't find a link at the moment.

It's been two days, I still can't get over the concert. Does he usually have this effect on people? haha
He also mentioned that he's engaged! Got a big round of applause for that

He played "Let's Dance" while standing up. I've never seen any videos where he does that, so the strap must be helping

It's been two days, I still can't get over the concert. Does he usually have this effect on people? haha

Yep - I saw Jake in PA on the 20th and I am still riding the high.

Simplyluo, something you should always remember: There are two types of uke players, those who play Mainlands and those who wished they did. LOL

Top Bottom