HELP! Concert or tenor?

happyjoe

Reaction score
I currently have a mahalo soprano uke and i am going to get a new one, at first i was thinking of an ashbury concert but ive been having second thoughts about getting a concert at all i want to play a tenor and i really dont know which uke to get. I love playing jack johnson songs (if that helps).

What should i get?

Thanks

Aloh HappyJoe,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....If possible, Id go to a music store and try them out for comparision....for sound, size, comfort, and playability issues...Good Luck!!! MM Stan
Have fun and Enjoy!!"Keep Strumming them strings" ....

Last edited:
I think part of the criteria is whether of not you play up the neck.

If you are constantly playing to the 7th or above you may find that a tenor gives you more room.

I think that MM Stan has the right advice in trying them out.

John

go to a music store and try them out for comparision
I think part of the criteria is whether of not you play up the neck.
these are both really good points. In my personal opinion I would prefer a nice Concert because it is still small in size, sounds great, and an easier transision from the Soprano size.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect Ukulele.

Hello Happyjoe,

Welcome to the forum, the same dilema (concert vs tenor) faced me
for about a year. Fortunatly I was able to borrow a few ukes and concert size
eventually won, still one of the days I'm gonna get a tenor. Maybe in the spring if Santa forgets.

Best of luck on your choice.

Cheers.

Size is an ongoing debate here. I personally find tenor the best mix of sound and size. the larger body produces a richer, deeper tone than a smaller uke. Plus it has the advantage of more room on the fretboard for some styles of playing. But if you want the traditional uke sound - bright and cheerful - look at the Mainland mango series. Sounds like a soprano but with a roomy fretboard!

Top Bottom