D tuning advice please

janeray1940

Reaction score
Hey all - thinking of trying D tuning on my 1920s soprano. Is there anything special I need to do? I don't recall ever seeing strings designated anything other than soprano, concert, etc or low/high G - so is it just a matter of tuning up a full step? Thanks, as always, for the help!

That's what I would do. Martin Fluorocarbons sound good tuned up a step. I have them tuned up on a concert that I keep for just that purpose. They're inexpensive and you can just run over to Guitar Center to grab some. Worths sound good tuned up a step, too, if you have some lying around.

I once bought GHS strings that were labeled inside as D tuning, and they were very light. They were too slack in C but fine in D. I would just try for as light a gauge as possible. Even so, the tension in D is the same as a concert uke in C so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Martin make a D set in the M600 series.

Hey all - thinking of trying D tuning on my 1920s soprano. Is there anything special I need to do? I don't recall ever seeing strings designated anything other than soprano, concert, etc or low/high G - so is it just a matter of tuning up a full step? Thanks, as always, for the help!
I play all the time in D, Just make sure when you play you are pissed off at Franklin D. Rosevelt to give you more punch!!!! Works for me :)

Our Light Guage Strings set-up nicely in D on a standard soprano.

Thanks for the help, all! I keep hearing about the Martin Fluorocarbons sounding good tuned to D so I'm going to pick some up when I get a chance.

How about the Aquilas that are currently tuned to C on the uke - can I just tune them a step higher or would that be risking damage?

Aloha Janeray,
I believe D" tuning makes the uke brighter and louder....Maybe in the past, when there were no amplifiers they used this tuning of as an option...
Here in the US, it's a litltle more difficult to find songs with this tuning....more of the "C" tuning available...I believe some other countries
may use them more....however there are strings available for the "D" tuning...I hope this helps!! Good LucK!!! Me, I stick with the "C"
tuning or dropped tuning for me....MM Stan..

Here in the US, it's a litltle more difficult to find songs with this tuning....more of the "C" tuning available...

Thanks MM Stan - I've actually got a ton of old 1920s-1930s sheet music, most of which is in D tuning - so finding the songs isn't difficult for me at all :) I'm really curious to see how some of these sound played as they were meant to be played, on an old uke with the recommended tuning.

Thanks for the help, all! I keep hearing about the Martin Fluorocarbons sounding good tuned to D so I'm going to pick some up when I get a chance.

How about the Aquilas that are currently tuned to C on the uke - can I just tune them a step higher or would that be risking damage?
I've never had a problem with tuning up 1 step. I was afraid something bad would happen. Just take a look at the top after you've done it to make sure the top isn't displaying a "belly" behind the bridge as a precaution. I've tune up Aquilias and worths, no issues at all.

A lot of soprano ukes sound great in D tuning. The only problem I have with using the D tuning is going back & forth between C & D tuning. It seems that the strings settle into & get acclimated to one tuning or the other. I also like to tune a tenor to Bb tuning (F-Bb-D-G) so I can easily jam with clarinet & trumpet playing friends Good reasons to buy more ukes!

Thanks MM Stan - I've actually got a ton of old 1920s-1930s sheet music, most of which is in D tuning - so finding the songs isn't difficult for me at all :) I'm really curious to see how some of these sound played as they were meant to be played, on an old uke with the recommended tuning.

There is a ton of old sheet music for "D" tuning, very true. It is still popular in Canada. Lots of "Doane System" students learned in "D" tuning.

A lot of soprano ukes sound great in D tuning. The only problem I have with using the D tuning is going back & forth between C & D tuning. It seems that the strings settle into & get acclimated to one tuning or the other. I also like to tune a tenor to Bb tuning (F-Bb-D-G) so I can easily jam with clarinet & trumpet playing friends Good reasons to buy more ukes!
Aloha franulele,
That's the tuning I actually prefer......for a slower tempo, playability, and comfort....more of a mellower sound and the strings resonate more....I just adjust a little more to get the traditional
re entrant tuning(my dog has fleas).....MM Stan...

Top Bottom