PDA

View Full Version : New book: The Daily Ukulele

shrink9
10-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey, fellow ukers!!!

Today I received my copy (from Amazon) of Jumpin' Jim's newest songbook--The Daily Ukulele. It was just released and contains 365 songs in tab/chord formats. The book is comb-bound and 336 pages (8 1/2" X 12"). If you are looking for a new source of songs, this looks very promising. It is designed so that we can learn a song a day.

I encourage you to check it out!!

ricksan66
10-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Please post a follow up report on how you like the book. Thanks.

Kanaka916
10-23-2010, 04:59 PM
It's available at Flea Market Music Store (http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=258). Click for Song List (http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/pageView.asp?ID=221) . . .

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410LquwjQeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

shrink9
10-24-2010, 08:21 AM
I played selections from the book last night--looks like nice arrangements. Thank you, Kanaka916, for the link that includes the listing of songs.

molokinirum
10-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Very nice, that book is going on my Christmas list!!!!

Mahalo Kanaka for posting the songs!!!

janeray1940
10-24-2010, 09:40 AM
I played selections from the book last night--looks like nice arrangements. Thank you, Kanaka916, for the link that includes the listing of songs.

Are the arrangements chords only, or are there chord solos/melodies?

(And yes, thanks for posting the song list, since Amazon hasn't gotten to it yet!)

itsme
10-24-2010, 09:47 AM
That looks like a fun collection to have on hand and I might consider it, but at $35 (well, $23 at the "big river" store) I'd kinda like to see what the formatting looks like.

Allen, do you think you could scan half a random page (or maybe "Red Rubber Ball", one of my faves:)) to show how the tabs/chords are arranged? I have the utmost respect for copyright, but I think this would fall under "fair use".

Hippie Dribble
10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
thanks for posting shrink9

trying to avoid the temptation to check out the list of songs as mine will be arriving in the mail either today or tomorrow and I love surprises!!!

shrink9
10-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner--I spend all my money on ukes!!!! lol

The format is this: melody line and lyrics with chords indicated above the melody line. The chord diagrams appear at the top under the titles of the songs.

I hope that this makes sense and helps.

lozarkman
10-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Have any of you seen Jim Beloff's new Daily Uke Songbook. It has 365 songs with melody line, lyrics and uke grids. It looks really great. I think it just came out a couple of weeks ago. $34.95 plus shipping. A pretty good piece of change, but it looks like it is worth it. Nice listing of songs!! http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/ Lozark

itsme
10-27-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?37325-New-book-The-Daily-Ukulele

It's $23 at amazon. If you add something to bring your order to $25, you can usually get free "super saver" shipping.

bazmaz
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Sorry to Jim, but considering a bit of googling brings you most tabs under the sun for nothing, the price is just nuts.

It's a huge songlist, but bear in mind, lots of them are public domain too and out of copyright, anyone could make them available for free download.

lozarkman
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah I agree about the copyright domain and available tabs and lyrics and chords elsewhere. And it does seem to be a rather hefty price. But it does contain the melody line, which is nice for a lot of people to get the song right, and does have the uke grids. and it is a pretty nice list all contained in one place. Not promoting the book, just a few thoughts about its use and worth. Lozark

janeray1940
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
But it does contain the melody line

In standard notation? Or in tab/numeric notation?

SailingUke
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I was at a club recently where one of the members was an employee of a music publisher and took exception at the copyrighted material being used off the internet.
While I agree that almost everything is available freely on the net, keep in mind it may still be copyrighted material.
The new book is 365 songs, chords, melody and I believe tab as well. That is less than 10 cents a song, you can hardly get copies made for that.
I looked at the songlist and believe this may be a great book for clubs/groups to use. I ordered mine last week from Amazon for $24, added a CD to it and got free shipping.
All in all a good price and I am legal too and I don't have to google looking for a decent version.

TCK
10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Not that legality worries me all that much, I figure I can't print that many tunes...or continue with the drive to learn one a day at that price

shrink9
10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Personally, it is worth something to me that it is bound. I have sheets of music all over the place. Here I have many songs in one source. It's worth the $24 I paid for it just for convenience.

itsme
10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I was at a club recently where one of the members was an employee of a music publisher and took exception at the copyrighted material being used off the internet.

All in all a good price and I am legal too and I don't have to google looking for a decent version.
I agree with you, but few people these days care about the illegality of what they download. Is it wrong to write down the lyrics, work out the chords and then share what you did here at UU? Not so much as scanning copyrighted editions and sharing them.

Not that legality worries me all that much, I figure I can't print that many tunes...or continue with the drive to learn one a day at that price
No one says you have to do one a day. My biggest concern is that the book is probably fairly fat, and I don't have enough filing space as it is. :o

bazmaz
10-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Re the book being bound. I print all my lyrics and chords onto a4 paper, slip inside clear plastic wallets and keep in a hard backed ring binder. Have done so for years, have couple for guitar, one for uke. Have gigged and busked with them. Plus in rain shower or if drinks are being knocked over, they are waterproof!

mm stan
10-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Books are fine but are just confined to the songs in them, I rather make my personal folder of my favorites in order...just can't stand having so many books searching for the song I want.....wasted time....

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Books are fine but are just confined to the songs in them, I rather make my personal folder of my favorites in order...just can't stand having so many books searching for the song I want.....wasted time....

I totally agree with sailing uke and itsme...nice to have a bound book in front of you, not (often) unreliable printed versions from backyarders. Also I agree with Stan, in that, while I have a number of songbooks, I end up re-transcribing my favorite performance tunes into my own folder(s) so they are all together in the one place. I'd rather do it honestly and pay for what something is worth to those whom money is owed...let's give credit where credit is due.

I ordered my copy of the book last week and am really looking forward to receiving it...as I do when I buy anything related to our beloved ukulele! :)

fitncrafty
10-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I totally agree with sailing uke and itsme...nice to have a bound book in front of you, not (often) unreliable printed versions from backyarders. Also I agree with Stan, in that, while I have a number of songbooks, I end up re-transcribing my favorite performance tunes into my own folder(s) so they are all together in the one place. I'd rather do it honestly and pay for what something is worth to those whom money is owed...let's give credit where credit is due.

I ordered my copy of the book last week and am really looking forward to receiving it...as I do when I buy anything related to our beloved ukulele! :)

I for one Eugene look forward to hearing what you have to say about your new book. I really struggle with playing songs with the lyrics without the melody. I don't read music well, it just helps. I usually learn to finger pick melody's first and then strum the chords. My strumming techniques aren't my strongest so at least when I play the melody it's recognizable. I don't think I will ever be playing gigs... but either way the music makes me happy! I think I am dropping this book on my wish list. My kids have reaches for my uke books in attempt to play them on their guitars, flutes and violins too...

mm stan
10-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Mostly all the song chords in the books 75-80% I transpose for either simplicty, nicer melodies, or for my voice....rarely I find one I like with all that....Sometimes I even rewrite the song for different purposes...

itsme
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I do that as well. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on sheet music and anthology books for guitar. A piece from here, a piece from there and you're dealing with a stack of bulky books, many of which don't like to lay flat on a music stand or have awkward page turns. So when I decide to work on a piece, I'll photocopy it. I paid for it so the publisher already made their profit from me, and I feel this falls under "fair use." I then organize pieces into various folders. I can mark them up to my heart's content while the (often expensive) originals are safely filed away, and I can easily move pieces in or out of rotation or change the order. :)

Chap
10-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Just an FYI on the subject of books...if they're bound in such a way that the book won't stay open on your music stand, you can go to most any printing/binding shop and have them shear off your current binding and replace it with spiral binding. That way they stay open.

itsme
10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Just an FYI on the subject of books...if they're bound in such a way that the book won't stay open on your music stand, you can go to most any printing/binding shop and have them shear off your current binding and replace it with spiral binding. That way they stay open.
I have done that before and it works well. :)

Where I used to work they had a pretty big duplicating department to handle lots of fat proposals and client deliverables. They'd let me come in and do it myself if they weren't in the middle of a rush job that needed the equipment.

SailingUke
11-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I just got my copy from Amazon, it is an amazing book.
It is comb bound so it is easy to open on a stand, the print is a nice size.
It has the melody line and chord diagrams. A great selection of songs.
This is going to be much easier than putting together my own notebooks and lugging them around.

mds725
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I just got the book as well. It does have a nice selection of songs (lots of Beatles, BTW), and it has separate sections for holiday songs and children's songs. Things I like: each song has a melody line, so those who read music can figure out the melodies of the songs they don't know. There's also an ukulele fret chart indicating the first note, for those who can't read music, know the melody, but are challenged for figuring out what key to sing in for the chords provided.

The arrangements for at least some of the songs in the book for which I'd already found sheet music seem to be a bit simplified. One notable example is "When You Wish Upon A Star." My mother recently found the original sheet music she got for this song when it first came out (she played the piano as a child; the sheet music provides chords as well as guitar fret charts). I learned how to play this song from her sheet music, and the chord changes are a little more intricate on the original sheet music than they are in the book version, although the book version sounds nice as well. If I can find the time, I may scan them both and post them in this thread.

It's evident that Jim and Liz Beloff did quite a bit of work to put this book together, and the simplification of some songs' chords and chord progressions was probably intentional to make some complex but popular songs more accessible to more people. I'm glad I bought the book (for one thing, it has the Star Spangled Banner in it) and expect to become proficient enough someday to seek out more complex versions of those songs that were simplified. I think it would make a great gift for all but the most proficient ukulele players.

Hippie Dribble
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I just got the book as well. It does have a nice selection of songs (lots of Beatles, BTW), and it has separate sections for holiday songs and children's songs. Things I like: each song has a melody line, so those who read music can figure out the melodies of the songs they don't know. There's also an ukulele fret chart indicating the first note, for those who can't read music, know the melody, but are challenged for figuring out what key to sing in for the chords provided.

The arrangements for at least some of the songs in the book for which I'd already found sheet music seem to be a bit simplified. One notable example is "When You Wish Upon A Star." My mother recently found the original sheet music she got for this song when it first came out (she played the piano as a child; the sheet music provides chords as well as guitar fret charts). I learned how to play this song from her sheet music, and the chord changes are a little more intricate on the original sheet music than they are in the book version, although the book version sounds nice as well. If I can find the time, I may scan them both and post them in this thread.

It's evident that Jim and Liz Beloff did quite a bit of work to put this book together, and the simplification of some songs' chords and chord progressions was probably intentional to make some complex but popular songs more accessible to more people. I'm glad I bought the book (for one thing, it has the Star Spangled Banner in it) and expect to become proficient enough someday to seek out more complex versions of those songs that were simplified. I think it would make a great gift for all but the most proficient ukulele players.

have to agree with Mark...mine arrived this morning and I absolutely love it, complete with chord diagrams for each song plus musical notation...anyone that has a rudimentary understanding of reading sheet music will find it easy to play the melody lines on the uke...

chords for some songs are definately a little too simplistic, especially the show tunes and tin pan alley numbers...but that said it is a broad spectrum covered, from old-time folk, kids songs and novelty tunes, big name hits from the Beatles, Beach Boys et al, carols, Hawaiian tunes, spirituals...just awesome in its sheer diversity...and like others have said, I love the practicality of the spiral binding. It makes for a fond trip down memory lane.

I guess the other thing to note is that because the arrangements are nice and easy to play, it's a perfect collection for any uke group to add to its catalogue, as players of all levels will find they are able to join in and play these songs together.

My personal fave: "When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin Along"!!!

Hats off to Liz and Jim!!! :)

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Man, I might just have to check this book out!

Raymond
11-12-2010, 05:04 AM
...do you think you could scan half a random page...to show how the tabs/chords are arranged?

I think this (http://www.halleonard.com/viewcloserlook.do?id=00240356&lid=-1&) is what you're looking for.

fitncrafty
12-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Now that some of you have had this book for awhile what do you think of it? Is it a good variety of songs? Are there melody's as well as strumming?
thanks all...

janeray1940
12-28-2010, 04:36 AM
I think this (http://www.halleonard.com/viewcloserlook.do?id=00240356&lid=-1&) is what you're looking for.

Thanks for posting that link - none of the sites I had looked on had samples of the music pages.

A couple of people (including me!) have asked if this book has "tab." Based on the sample, it doesn't - it has chord diagrams, and it has standard notation, but this is not "tab." I hadn't expected it would; I haven't seen actual tab in any of the Beloff books I've looked at.

Still, looks like a good collection of songs!

roxhum
12-28-2010, 04:36 AM
I LOVE this book. Yes there is melodies/music notation. I am happy with the arrangements and if you don't care for the key the song is in I go to Chordie and experiment. You still have the basic song and best of all for me personally the melody/music notation. I purchased a second hand keyboard so I could play the tunes when necesary. I love this book and I am having a blast with it.
Roxhum

PS, that is right, no tabs for the melody, if that is what you meant.

Gmoney
12-28-2010, 04:51 AM
I asked for & got a copy for Christmas. I LOVE it! Sat down w/it last night & had a whole evening of discovering "new" songs to play. Beats the 3-ring binder that I have at home & don't want to lug w/me on trips.

IMO - this would be a great book for any ukulele player. A great resource. Now I will probably go buy another Beloff book - this one has me hooked.

Harold O.
12-28-2010, 05:18 AM
I agree with Gmoney. Great book, many songs you might not have otherwise thought to play, and most of them fit on a single page. True, there are no TABbed arrangements. I am taking that as a sign that I should move to the next level and learn to play from music notation. If I select a couple of the more basic songs with simple melodies, I can probably find my way. If not, a lesson or two should do the trick. It can't be all that hard... Great book, wonderful compilation. I got mine as a gift, so no, you can't borrow it.

janeray1940
12-28-2010, 05:32 AM
I am taking that as a sign that I should move to the next level and learn to play from music notation. If I select a couple of the more basic songs with simple melodies, I can probably find my way. If not, a lesson or two should do the trick. It can't be all that hard...

It's not. I've been trying to do this for a while now - there's just so much more material out there if you can read standard notation. Especially for folks like me who like the Tin Pan Alley stuff!

What gets tricky for me is deciding which string a note should be played on, since often the same note can be played on more than one string. This is where I find tab helpful - someone else has already done the thinking for me :)

beardco
12-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Jim always has a great collection of fun songs in his books. But he never includes strumming patterns. This can mean a boring song when you're trying to play it because with only the melody line you lose a feel for the song. Take, for instance, Cash's 'I Walk The Line'. Cash had a very unique method of getting the sound out of his guitar for that song. And Cash's guitarist often used unique picking paterns. Jim Beloff's arrangements are a great start but often just that. Sometimes it works really well like with 'Yesterday' by the Beatles. Either way, that's a boatload of songs arranged for the ukulele, and tempting to purchase.

Gmoney
12-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Jim always has a great collection of fun songs in his books. But he never includes strumming patterns.

That would have been my only "gripe". There is a paragraph about strumming patterns in the introductory material, with symbols indicating "down" & "up" strokes, but... there does not appear to be any use of those symbols in the songs. :(

I can't recommend this book enough, though. I love it.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
After I got my copy I showed it to our Ukulele Group (SUPA) and got enough interest to order a baker's dozen. I'm waiting for them to arrive so I can deliver them to those who ordered them.

I like the selection of songs (60% different from our SUPA songbooks, so not much over-lap).

If your uke group needs a 'club songbook' this might be the way to go.

I recommend it highly.

Keep uke'in',

SailingUke
12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree with Rod about being a great club book.
It is my humble opinion, but if you need strum patterns written out I believe you are in trouble.
It is near impossible to read notes, chords, lyics and strum patterns and play all at the same time.
Listen to the song and play a rythym (strum) you like, make it a little bit of you.

marymac
12-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I just got mine a couple days ago and it's perfect for what I want. I've been busily recruiting new ukers, including my partner, and this book has lots of song with 2-5 chords. Those look a whole lot less intimidating to a beginner. I showed it to my partner yesterday and she actually started flipping through and finding songs to play (she knows 6 chords so far so she could check out the chord charts on each page)! So I'm a Daily Uke fan for sure.

franulele
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
As the self appointed music librarian for our uke club, The Daily Ukulele is an absolute godsend!

I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent combing the internet & thumbing through my songbooks to find songs, then arrange & format them for our uke club members (persons of varying degrees of musical backgrounds, abilities & ages). Lead sheets (music notation w/lyrics & chords) are especially time consuming, but necessary for some of our songs because the older members might not know "Three Little Birds" and the younger members might not know "It's Only a Paper Moon". Since enough people read music, I've found it worthwhile to put together leadsheets with Finale music notation software. Still, in spite of all the time & effort, I often catch mistakes & typos AFTER I've handed them out to everyone! Jim & Liz do this music publishing thing full time, so they (and Hal Leonard Pub) have the time to proofread & edit to a level of accuracy that I just don't have the time for. As for strum patterns, we find them pretty easy to figure out, maybe because it's something we've had some great Lil Rev workshops on the topic & we review frequently in meetings.

Anyhoo, $23.09 (Amazon.com) for 365 songs... that's a fantastic deal! Just the paper, ink & binder adds up, not to mention sheetmusic, books and TIME. If you have a club with a wide variety of ages & musical interests, this is worth the investment. While it is lacking repertoire from the late 20th century through the present, these are easily found. We'll still use tunes gleaned from the internet & our special arrangements, but this book is an awesome addition to our library.

Just my 2

Uke Whisperer
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Other comments ref the book (from beginner) on "Ukulele Beginner" page.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41451-Beginner-s-progress-to-date-and-quot-meeting-quot-the-The-Daily-Ukulele-book

Jane
01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Just want to say "Amen"!

I'm practicing "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" now - what fun! And, even better, the chord selections make me (definitely not a "Jake" player) sound good. One day, I may seek out more challenging arrangements, but, right now, the Beloff's choices are challenging enough. Great variety, a loverly book!

Now, time for hot chocolate, and, one more rendition before bed.