Saw Jake Shimabukuro

tooney

Reaction score
I saw Jake Shimibukuro last night. My husband took me to the McCarter Theater at Princeton. He's amazing and the show was all I hoped for. A great entertainer - tells stories and plays his magic. We were lucky enough to be in the front row so we got to see up close. He played (not in this order) Dragon, Sakura Sakura, Blue Roses, Me & Shirley T, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, some new pieces from his upcoming CD including Bohemian Rhapsody which brought the house down (and made us all laugh when he said "That was a monster to arrange for solo ukulele."). I heard him, I saw his amazing fingerwork and at certain moments I still couldn't believe it was one man and one instrument. Seems like a great guy, too.

Congratulations for getting to see him in concert. I am looking forward to attending his concert in Chicago on November 6 as the Old Town School of Folk Music.

Have a wonderful time. I hope we get to see him again and are looking forward to his CD.
Congratulations for getting to see him in concert. I am looking forward to attending his concert in Chicago on November 6 as the Old Town School of Folk Music.

I saw Jake Shimibukuro last night. My husband took me to the McCarter Theater at Princeton. He's amazing and the show was all I hoped for. A great entertainer - tells stories and plays his magic. We were lucky enough to be in the front row so we got to see up close. He played (not in this order) Dragon, Sakura Sakura, Blue Roses, Me & Shirley T, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, some new pieces from his upcoming CD including Bohemian Rhapsody which brought the house down (and made us all laugh when he said "That was a monster to arrange for solo ukulele."). I heard him, I saw his amazing fingerwork and at certain moments I still couldn't believe it was one man and one instrument. Seems like a great guy, too.

Congrats on seeing Jake. He is amazing in concert. Do you remember if he was wearing any kind of strap for his uke? I've noticed in a couple of the videos from his upcoming documentary in Japan where he is using one of the classical kind that hooks into the sound hole.

Congrats on seeing Jake. He is amazing in concert. Do you remember if he was wearing any kind of strap for his uke? I've noticed in a couple of the videos from his upcoming documentary in Japan where he is using one of the classical kind that hooks into the sound hole.

He was phenomenal. No strap, which always amazes me, since he only played 2 songs while sitting (Sakura, Sakura & B. Rhapsody). We did notice something at the bottom of the sound hole, but there was nothing around his neck. For an encore he played Ave Maria - unplugged and played through the microphone, which was another nice variation on the evening. He did have shirtsleeves rolled up, which helps him hug it. I'm curious - do you play with sleeves on? I can't hold my uke (tenor) when I have sleeves. I'm slip-sliding around.

Which documentary is coming out?

I was there at the McCarter theater too! Amazing night, no?

I'm pretty sure he was wearing a strap. It was visible throughout the set (also the two straps going up around his neck), and you could see him unhook it when he took his final bow

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show. I saw Jake in PA on the 20th and he was great. I had high expectations for the show and they were far exceeded.

Yes - he was using a strap (classical guitar type).

He was phenomenal. No strap, which always amazes me, since he only played 2 songs while sitting (Sakura, Sakura & B. Rhapsody). We did notice something at the bottom of the sound hole, but there was nothing around his neck. For an encore he played Ave Maria - unplugged and played through the microphone, which was another nice variation on the evening. He did have shirtsleeves rolled up, which helps him hug it. I'm curious - do you play with sleeves on? I can't hold my uke (tenor) when I have sleeves. I'm slip-sliding around.

Which documentary is coming out?
I use a strap so technically I could play with long sleeves, however I rarely, if ever do so. I don't like the feeling of my forearm slipping around on the soundboard.

If you look on Youtube you will find some recent videos posted which say they are excerpts from an upcoming documentary to be released in Japan, I belive. Here is one of the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKEOU5924_8

In this video you can see the strap hanging down but not connected to his uke for this song. I had not realized that when I saw this video earlier. There are some other vids that show the strap attached.

I was there at the McCarter theater too! Amazing night, no?

I'm pretty sure he was wearing a strap. It was visible throughout the set (also the two straps going up around his neck), and you could see him unhook it when he took his final bow

Very amazing night! Did you meet him? I can't wait to see him again.

I guess we're unobservant - we didn't notice the strap. Caught up in the excitement of the experience. :) I'm also glad to discover someone on the forum who's close(r) by.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show. I saw Jake in PA on the 20th and he was great. I had high expectations for the show and they were far exceeded.

Boy, I'm really clueless! :)

Thanks, Dominator, for the info - and for confirming what I'd figured out in my very short time playing, that I don't like long sleeves either. Really ruins my smashing rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Okay, can't type - laughing.

He made a joke about how expectations are low when people go to a uke concert - he's such a humble guy.

Very amazing night! Did you meet him? I can't wait to see him again.

I guess we're unobservant - we didn't notice the strap. Caught up in the excitement of the experience. :) I'm also glad to discover someone on the forum who's close(r) by.

Yep! I brought my ukulele for him to sign. Unforgettable experience, the guy is so humble and kind! My avatar picture thing is the picture I took with him after he signed it
All of my posts on UU have been about the concert so far, I still can't get over it haha

He made a joke about how expectations are low when people go to a uke concert - he's such a humble guy.

It was a great experience - he has such passion and energy but very humble and gracious. It was very cool to meet Jake and talk with him after the show.

Yep! I brought my ukulele for him to sign. Unforgettable experience, the guy is so humble and kind! My avatar picture thing is the picture I took with him after he signed it
All of my posts on UU have been about the concert so far, I still can't get over it haha

Now that's a great memento! Congratulations on meeting him. He seems like a great soul, very encouraging & kind. BTW, I listened to you playing "My Heart Will Go On" and it's beautiful. You're VERY talented and I'm really impressed - good luck to you.

Top Bottom