scraaaaaaatccches...

H

Hippie Dribble

hi everyone

my tech question is:

I have a concert scale Black Bear uke, finished with a nitrocellulose laquer.

I am wondering what is the best polish / oil to use on the face , that is compatible with such a finish, that will help to remove some light scratching under the soundhole.

Thanks very much...I am very ignorant with technical issues re uke care :eek:

Aloha Eugene Ukulele,
I myself found Nu finish auto to do wonders for light scratches..now I heard that they're out with a scratch doctor polish too...gotta try that one...
I hope all is well.....Happy Strummings, MM Stan...

you'll polish it, it will scratch again you'll polish again, it will scratch again - repeat - endlessly!

I'd live with it - light scratches from playing are scars that show your ukulele is loved!

Micromesh works well for removing light scratches in the finish. I have a set of these pads that I have used for several years:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/S...Finishing_Pads.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=282

You can also make a clear pickguard from plastic sheets to prevent new scratches:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar...ar:_Pickguards/Clear_Pickguard_Materials.html

I am cheap, so I use these 3mil sheets from an office supply store instead of the 5mil sheets that Stewmac sells:
http://www.staples.com/GBC-SelfSeal-Clear-Laminating-Sheets-Letter-Size-Sheets/product_494771

I have used Micro-mesh and it is great. A little water and/or guitar polish and all is good.

I've gotten rid of many scratches on high gloss ukes and furniture with Howard's burnishing compound.

I'd say all of the advice above is good for a cheap uke. A Black Bear is an nice uke though. Micro mesh is sandpaper. Depending upon how thick (or thin) the finish is, and how deep the scratches are, you can go further than you'd want to. Before doing anything I'd contact Daryl at Black Bear and get his advice. As a builder myself, that's what I'd want a customer to do.
In fact I once had a customer leave a forearm imprint on the front of her new uke from freshly applying bug spray before playing. She called me in a panic. I walked her through the steps of polishing it out using Meguiares polishing compounds, negating her need to order anything special to do the job. (Meguiares is available through most auto supply stores). But call Daryl first.

I'd say all of the advice above is good for a cheap uke. A Black Bear is an nice uke though. Micro mesh is sandpaper. Depending upon how thick (or thin) the finish is, and how deep the scratches are, you can go further than you'd want to. Before doing anything I'd contact Daryl at Black Bear and get his advice. As a builder myself, that's what I'd want a customer to do.
In fact I once had a customer leave a forearm imprint on the front of her new uke from freshly applying bug spray before playing. She called me in a panic. I walked her through the steps of polishing it out using Meguiares polishing compounds, negating her need to order anything special to do the job. (Meguiares is available through most auto supply stores). But call Daryl first.

Hi Chuck

thanks for the comments...I did contact Dwayne at Black Bear and his nondescript response was "whatever is compatible with a nitrocellulose laquer"...left me none the wiser :confused:

thanks Stan, Bob, Sailing Uke, Doc and Ronnie for the references and suggestions. I very much appreciate it.
:cheers:

Sorry for the name mix up. I knew it started with a D.
In that case I'd go with the micro mesh or Meguiares method.
For light scratches I'd start with Micro mesh grits of 3200, 4000, 6000, and finish up with 8000 or 12000. A set of mini micro mesh pads (2" X 2") are nice to have on hand and will last forever. You can buy a set from Stew Mac (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishi...ers/Micro-Mesh_Soft_Touch_Finishing_Pads.html)
or International Violin Company, for a few pennies less.
Use with water in which a few drops of dawn detergent has been added.

My thoughts on scratches is that the more custom the instrument is, the less I care about scratches. My reasoning is because these will always be mine (I mean, I don't think anyone else would want my custom with my initials inlaid on the fretboard) and I'll be playing them so scratches are part of the package. I now only care about scratches if it happens on a uke that I think I might flip and scratches means lower sale price. But even in that case I don't get too worked up about them anymore. I guess changing the mindset about scratches might be the best way to deal with them?

Anyway, don't mind me. I totally understand why scratches bother people. It bothered me once upon a time too.

There is a luthier Zen thing that I have learned.
The slower you work, the sooner you finish.

Top Bottom