remedy needed for loose tuner

Mike M3

Reaction score
I have one tuner on my Vega that is hard to keep tight.The screw in the tuner is kinda stripped.I put a washer on it to try and taske up some slack,it helped a little.Other than trying to replace the screw I cannot think of any other remedy...Mike

On a set of very old friction tuners on one of my vintage banjos, I made some rawhide washers and used them for friction. It worked awesome.. Been using them for some time.. Also, an old remedy is talc powder... take the tuner apart and talc the parts that create the friction. Best thing to do is replace the striped screw, in hopes the tuner threads them self aren't stripped. That would require total replacement of that tuner, or if not bad, might be able to be retapped.

Like Bruddah Tudorp said, if the threads are stripped .....time to get new ones, they're fairly inexpensive and easy to change...Good Luck!!! MM Stan...

Like Bruddah Tudorp said, if the threads are stripped .....time to get new ones, they're fairly inexpensive and easy to change...Good Luck!!! MM Stan...
the threads are not stripped,just the head of the screw.I shouldn't of said stripped,it is just widening out some.I wasn't too clear onb that,thanks...Mike

Then thats an easy fix.. The best fix would be simply replace that screw so you can tighten the friction like it should be. Talc will also help, but still not a replacement for proper tightening..

What commonly happends when you have a screw too loose is trying to compensate by over twisting too hard, and with a loose peg head, can crack or strip the peg head surface between the peg head and the stem itself, which would result in replacing the peg head itself, or the complete tuner.. just saying..

Last edited:
replaced the screw as suggested,still the string needs just a touch of tightening every other day,I can live with this.Thanks for the help...Mike

Not sure if this will work, but it might be worth a try. I have a lot of yo-yo's and when the threads in the aluminum widen they do not stay tight and together (which can be dangerous). We use a little piece of teflon tape to tighten them back up. Thinking that if you put a little on the new screw, it might seat enough that you no longer have to tighten it anymore

Top Bottom