Any Opinions on the Lute-kulele

vofgofm33

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Lute-Kulele-Tenor-Variegated-Tuning-Chart/dp/B003MX9LI4

so ive always been a fan of the lute but never wanted to get one because they are so expensive and the use I would get out of it would be minimal. But I stumbled upon this the other day and is there anybody out there who owns one. I'd like some opinions if its worth the purchase or not

I love the sound of the lute but I love playing the ukulele would this even work? i was not able to find any videos not a surprise.

They had a few of those at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. They looked well made, but I didn't have time to play one.

–Lori

You should be aware that the frets on the lute-kulele are tied moveablr frets - just like on a lute, although I imagine the frets are tied nylon rather than the tied gut strings of a traditional lute...

Might be a bit more to deal with than you'd expect - you need to first tune up your open strings, and then move the tied frets until they are in tune too. You generally have to do this everytime you play on a lute, and since the lute-kulele;s scale is even shorter, it might be kinda hard to do. Never tried one though.

You should be aware that the frets on the lute-kulele are tied moveablr frets - just like on a lute
thanks :) yeah i think i'm going to make it a side save up project I dont think i'm going to get incredble amount of use out of it

thanks :) yeah i think i'm going to make it a side save up project I dont think i'm going to get incredble amount of use out of it

We sell the Baroqulele and I like it a lot. It's just as playable as any ukulele. Very cool to. The solid spruce top is of Spanish origin and sounds oh so good. The pegs take a little getting use to but do look really nice if you are going for a early music feel. The verigated model has staves of rosewood and lacewood. Plenty of volume and has metal frets. Sitarulele is soon to come

They are for display, Jim. The vendors are more than happy for you to try them out and perform on them. There was a surprizing large amount of ukuleles at the NAMM Show this year. I expect to see more soon next year, as There was much interest among other manufacturers in the ukulele. Every booth I performed at, there were lots of merchants inquiring about how many uke players existed. When I gave them the data from local music stores, they were astonished. Ric

I love the idea of a Sitar-ukulele. Hm...I better start saving.

Is it just me, or is there a really small number of frets on the Lute-kulele? Seems like that would make it a pretty limiting thing to play...

The ones I played at the 2010 Winter NAMM show were fret wires set into fret boards. Ric

That's the baroq-ulele - a different instrument from the same company. The baroq-ulele design is actually modeled after those German bowl-back folk guitars from the 19th century. The lute-kulele is modeled after a lute or lute-like oud.

I wish the lute-kulele had double courses for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings though - more like a baroque lute - rather than the 1st and 3rd strings, which doesn;t correspond to any lute-like string that I've heard of...

Is it just me, or is there a really small number of frets on the Lute-kulele? Seems like that would make it a pretty limiting thing to play...

I believe you should get a full chromatic octave on the first string, and one note less successively on the othe strings. So it could cut down on your ability to do some voicings of your harmonies or chords.

I want someone else to get one and tell us what they think and hopefully made a youtube of it, and compare it to a baroq-ulele... I'm curious as to what the lute-kulele sounds like... does it sound like a baroq-ulele but with the 1st and 3rd strings doubled, or does it have a unique tone?

That's the baroq-ulele - a different instrument from the same company. The baroq-ulele design is actually modeled after those German bowl-back folk guitars from the 19th century. The lute-kulele is modeled after a lute or lute-like oud.

I wish the lute-kulele had double courses for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings though - more like a baroque lute - rather than the 1st and 3rd strings, which doesn;t correspond to any lute-like string that I've heard of...

I played several of their models and will be going there again in January. I'll have my friend shoot some video of the different models this time. The baroq-ulele was too quiet for my taste. Ric

I played several of their models and will be going there again in January. I'll have my friend shoot some video of the different models this time. The baroq-ulele was too quiet for my taste. Ric

Thanks for the review on the baroq-ulele - any other thoughts on it? The baroq-ulele and lute-kulele both look pretty neat. Darn UAS in all of its incarnations.

Very cool, but where is that a tenor scale (the ad says it is tenor) as I only see 11 frets, maybe 12 as the picture is not so clear. Mike

Top Bottom