PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on the Lute-kulele

vofgofm33
10-24-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Lute-Kulele-Tenor-Variegated-Tuning-Chart/dp/B003MX9LI4

so ive always been a fan of the lute but never wanted to get one because they are so expensive and the use I would get out of it would be minimal. But I stumbled upon this the other day and is there anybody out there who owns one. I'd like some opinions if its worth the purchase or not

I love the sound of the lute but I love playing the ukulele would this even work? i was not able to find any videos not a surprise.

itsme
10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Don't know anything about this, but I'm certainly intrigued.

A member here, thejumpingflea, has a baroq-ulele from the same company. Sounds great to me, but then again, he could probably make anything sound great.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?25651-Baroq-ulele-from-Mid-East

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31870-New-Soprano-Baroq-ulele

Lori
10-24-2010, 02:47 PM
They had a few of those at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. They looked well made, but I didn't have time to play one.

–Lori

LoMa
10-24-2010, 04:23 PM
You should be aware that the frets on the lute-kulele are tied moveablr frets - just like on a lute, although I imagine the frets are tied nylon rather than the tied gut strings of a traditional lute...

Might be a bit more to deal with than you'd expect - you need to first tune up your open strings, and then move the tied frets until they are in tune too. You generally have to do this everytime you play on a lute, and since the lute-kulele;s scale is even shorter, it might be kinda hard to do. Never tried one though.

vofgofm33
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
You should be aware that the frets on the lute-kulele are tied moveablr frets - just like on a lute thanks :) yeah i think i'm going to make it a side save up project I dont think i'm going to get incredble amount of use out of it

Uke Republic
10-25-2010, 06:14 PM
thanks :) yeah i think i'm going to make it a side save up project I dont think i'm going to get incredble amount of use out of it

We sell the Baroqulele and I like it a lot. It's just as playable as any ukulele. Very cool to. The solid spruce top is of Spanish origin and sounds oh so good. The pegs take a little getting use to but do look really nice if you are going for a early music feel. The verigated model has staves of rosewood and lacewood. Plenty of volume and has metal frets. Sitarulele is soon to come

ricdoug
10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
I played those at the Winter NAMM show in Anaheim in the beginning of this year:

http://www.mid-east-music.com/ukulele.html

They're well constructed, loud and have nice tone. I'll search my online photo albums and post some photos of their booth. Ric

ricdoug
10-25-2010, 08:02 PM
That was easy. Here they are:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/NAMM201001.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/NAMM201002.JPG

Ukulele Jim
10-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Could you actually buy one at NAMM? Those were for sale, or just for display?

ricdoug
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
They are for display, Jim. The vendors are more than happy for you to try them out and perform on them. There was a surprizing large amount of ukuleles at the NAMM Show this year. I expect to see more soon next year, as There was much interest among other manufacturers in the ukulele. Every booth I performed at, there were lots of merchants inquiring about how many uke players existed. When I gave them the data from local music stores, they were astonished. Ric

ricdoug
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
You should be aware that the frets on the lute-kulele are tied moveablr frets - just like on a lute, although I imagine the frets are tied nylon rather than the tied gut strings of a traditional lute...

The ones I played at the 2010 Winter NAMM show were fret wires set into fret boards. Ric

ricdoug
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Matt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvP-8kO6okQ

Bartt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpppZMRrsQ&feature=related

Skitzic
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
I love the idea of a Sitar-ukulele. Hm...I better start saving.

Thumper
10-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Is it just me, or is there a really small number of frets on the Lute-kulele? Seems like that would make it a pretty limiting thing to play...

LoMa
10-26-2010, 05:02 AM
The ones I played at the 2010 Winter NAMM show were fret wires set into fret boards. Ric

That's the baroq-ulele - a different instrument from the same company. The baroq-ulele design is actually modeled after those German bowl-back folk guitars from the 19th century. The lute-kulele is modeled after a lute or lute-like oud.

I wish the lute-kulele had double courses for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings though - more like a baroque lute - rather than the 1st and 3rd strings, which doesn;t correspond to any lute-like string that I've heard of...

LoMa
10-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Is it just me, or is there a really small number of frets on the Lute-kulele? Seems like that would make it a pretty limiting thing to play...

I believe you should get a full chromatic octave on the first string, and one note less successively on the othe strings. So it could cut down on your ability to do some voicings of your harmonies or chords.

I want someone else to get one and tell us what they think and hopefully made a youtube of it, and compare it to a baroq-ulele... I'm curious as to what the lute-kulele sounds like... does it sound like a baroq-ulele but with the 1st and 3rd strings doubled, or does it have a unique tone?

ricdoug
10-26-2010, 06:36 AM
That's the baroq-ulele - a different instrument from the same company. The baroq-ulele design is actually modeled after those German bowl-back folk guitars from the 19th century. The lute-kulele is modeled after a lute or lute-like oud.

I wish the lute-kulele had double courses for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings though - more like a baroque lute - rather than the 1st and 3rd strings, which doesn;t correspond to any lute-like string that I've heard of...

I played several of their models and will be going there again in January. I'll have my friend shoot some video of the different models this time. The baroq-ulele was too quiet for my taste. Ric

Mandarb
10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I played several of their models and will be going there again in January. I'll have my friend shoot some video of the different models this time. The baroq-ulele was too quiet for my taste. Ric

Thanks for the review on the baroq-ulele - any other thoughts on it? The baroq-ulele and lute-kulele both look pretty neat. Darn UAS in all of its incarnations.

lambchop
10-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Very cool, but where is that a tenor scale (the ad says it is tenor) as I only see 11 frets, maybe 12 as the picture is not so clear. Mike

Skitzic
10-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Did anyone play the sitar looking one?

vofgofm33
10-27-2010, 03:29 PM
They are for display, Jim. The vendors are more than happy for you to try them out and perform on them. There was a surprizing large amount of ukuleles at the NAMM Show this year. I expect to see more soon next year, as There was much interest among other manufacturers in the ukulele. Every booth I performed at, there were lots of merchants inquiring about how many uke players existed. When I gave them the data from local music stores, they were astonished. Ric

so do you think its a worthy buy then? and what kind of frets did it have? were they frets you have to tune?

Phantasm
03-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I really want one of these things but finding it difficult to get information on the web. Everyone seems to have the baroq-ulele or the sitar one, but no love for the lute :( Can anyone help me out? They don't stock 'em anywhere in Ireland that I know of so all my research has to be done online, which is far from ideal.

ichadwick
03-14-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm interested in it, too. I looked at both, but the tied-on (aka moveable) frets discouraged me. I'm tempted by the Baroq-ulele. Tenor, but would love a baritone!

The pseudo-sitar is (at last reading) only soprano scale and the side strings are just decorations (not actual working sympathetic or drone strings).

Jnobianchi
03-14-2011, 05:59 AM
This isn't helpful - but WANT one. :)

Phantasm
03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm interested in it, too. I looked at both, but the tied-on (aka moveable) frets discouraged me. I'm tempted by the Baroq-ulele. Tenor, but would love a baritone!

The pseudo-sitar is (at last reading) only soprano scale and the side strings are just decorations (not actual working sympathetic or drone strings).

Yeah the lute only comes in tenor size and the sitar in soprano (though I heard they are thinking of expanding the range of these cause they're so popular). The Baroq-ulele comes in 3 sizes....

The moveable frets is a bit off-putting but I simply adore lutes and lute music so I really want one anyway (until I can afford a proper Renaissance lute and lessons that is, which is many years off yet). I'm thinking I might bet a concert Baroq-ulele too, because they're just so lovely. I need help :P

Bettina
08-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I actually purchased a lute-kulele about a month ago and can possibly help in your decision whether to get one or not.

My first fear, like yours, was of the movable frets on the lute-kulele. When it arrived I found that they are indeed tied nylon frets BUT they have been slightly imbeded into the neck so they DO NOT MOVE! There is no need to "tune" the frets ever! (What a relief!) I was also tentative about the friction pegs. I admit this is an aspect that I still struggle with. One slight movement of the peg and it is TOTALLY out of tune. But I have been turned on to Perfection Pegs that I'm still looking into. They eliminate the fine tuning problem that pegs have with nylon strings, but they're expensive. And they're only sold in sets of 4 for the violin (and other like instuments). I would need 6 pegs.

I am not familiar with the uke at all so I don't know how they are normally strung. I am a guitar player accustomed to one string per note and in decending pitches. With the lute-kulele I found the bottom string at a higher pitch than the previous two. This was disconcerting. After playing around with uke chords fingering I decided I was too impatient to learn new chord fingering so I re-tuned the strings to match the bottom four strings of a guitar. My chords are SO much easier to play now, although it does limit me a bit on which chords I can play. (I've been avoiding the elusive chords in this tuning.) I have also recently replaced the bottom string with a metal wrapped nylon string to get that bass sound I wanted from it, but I'm not sure I like the new sound as that one string differs so much from the other nylon strings. But I'm giving it time before I change back.

Another minor problem I encountered was how to put a strap on this. It comes with a strap button on the bottom end and they expect people to use a tie-on strap at the peg box. I didn't like that as it would center the lute too far to my right side and uncomfortable to play. So I installed a button at the base of the neck, slighly below center to help eliminate chances of the strap slipping off. This seems to be working for me so far.

I admit I was slightly disappointed at first with the sound it produced, sounding too much like a ukelele for my taste, but I've gotten used to it. Ultimately, I LOVE my new lute-kulele! I plan to play it at renaissance festivals as a noble lady. It's much more petit looking that a huge lute. Now I just have to learn a bunch of songs on it!

Louis0815
08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Bettina,
re the Pegheds you might want to get in touch with UU forum member TheCraftedCow (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?20489-TheCraftedCow) - he is official dealer for Pegheds and might be able to sell them in a sixpack.

Please contact me at 503-364-0854 or thecraftedcow@comcast.net to order or for information about other PEGHEDSTM such as: Banjo, including 5th string; Guitar; Viola de Gamba; or Mt. Dulcimer until I add them to the Pictures&Details page. If you have any questions about anything PEGHEDS , please call or write.

Have you really tuned it to EADG?

Ukeval
08-17-2012, 11:20 AM
as a lute player, this have nothing to do with lute, sorry... I love to play early music on uke, but I will never buy such an instrument. (but i will ask a uke maker to make one for me, on my specs... the existing ones are too far from the real thing. just marketing things.)
It is how it should look :

Tsani
08-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a Baroqulele, and I like it. The sound is good and the looks are great, especially for someone who is studying classical and baroque fingerstyle on the ukulele, as I am. However, my Baroqulele has an intonation problem on the C string on the 2nd fret. I cannot get that note to tune correctly, and bad intonation drives me crazy. As a result, I tend to play my Favilla Teardrop and Aloha soprano more than my Baroqulele. I wish it did not have that one problem.

I have to say that UkeVal is a great inspiration to me. His playing is phenomenal. I will never be that good in this life. Maybe in heaven...