Jake Shimabukuro and he was using a strap

chiefnoda

Reaction score
Hi

This afternoon, I got see Jake in Clinton, CT. It was a free concert, put on for the residents of Clinton. I don't know the tickets were all given out, but I went to the high school anyway (last year, they told us to show up without tickets and everyone got to see him). I was so lucky - someone just said "we have two extra tickets so please use them"! We got nice seats, but even without, I think everyone again got to listen to Jake!!!

He played one long set of mostly originals, "143*", "Let's Dance", "Me and Shirley T", "Go For Broke*", "Blue Rose Falling", "Orange World", "Dragon" "Bring Your Adze*", "Trapped", plus "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Bohemian Rhapsody*". For the encore, he did "Hallelujah*" by Leonard Cohen. I probably missed a few more..... * will be on the new CD "Love Peace and Ukuelele" to be available 1/4/2011.

One thing noted: Jake was using a strap. That's the classical guitar type, hook from the neck. He played standing up and always used the strap, except on "Behemian Rhapsody", he sat on a stool and removed the strap.

There were so many people so I didn't stay around to chat with Jake. None the less, I went home happy!

Cheers
Chief

PS: To the gentleman and the lady who gave me the tickets, I couldn't thank you enough and never saw you again. If you are a member, I thank again!

PPS: I think "cupcake" was there but we didn't get to meet.

Saw Jake in PA on the 20th - it was a great show. He played a similiar set - glad to hear you enjoyed it.

After seeing Jake in CT at UCONN awhile back, I've been wondering what strap he was using too, but it just wasn't evident. The one he uses in the recent CNN "NEXT List" show is different - it has a wider "hook" which to my eyes looks much less likely to mar the edge of the soundhole. Took a screen capture showing the attachment.

Jakes_strap.JPG

So... where DO you get one of these?

I spoke with Jake on dec 18th about the strap, he said its custom and he made it/designed it. It's much more sturdy than the uke thing. I suggested to him that he should market it ;)

I spoke with Jake on dec 18th about the strap, he said its custom and he made it/designed it. It's much more sturdy than the uke thing. I suggested to him that he should market it ;)

Well, dang it! Yes he should! I'd buy a couple.

i'm happy with Lori's UkeLeash, excellent product

Top Bottom