Preserving Jake's Autograph?

bnicholas26

Reaction score
Ok, I finally got to see Jake in concert. He signed my satin finish Pono with a sharpie. Came out nice but I want to know if I can get some kind of film to custom-cut and place over it. gloss is ok, I just don't want to wear it out with my strumming. any advice woulg be good or direct me to similar thread......thanks guys!jake signed.jpg

I've never met anyone who strums over that part of the uke. ;) It should be fine without anything stuck to it.

Ok, I finally got to see Jake in concert. He signed my satin finish Pono with a sharpie. Came out nice but I want to know if I can get some kind of film to custom-cut and place over it. gloss is ok, I just don't want to wear it out with my strumming. any advice woulg be good or direct me to similar thread......thanks guys!View attachment 16928

I think that spot is kind of tricky. You probably shouldn't put a clear pickguard on the lower bout, so the autograph probably has to be exposed. Depend on how you hold the ukulele, you might be in contact with it with your arm. I would probably just leave it as-is. If it rubs off at some point, try to attend another one of his concerts and get it on a different spot.

I've had Jake autograph two ukes so far. The first one was a cigar box that I asked him to sign on a spot that I knew doesn't get any contact while playing:
DSC02104.JPG

The second one was on a Makala for my daughter. Since sound quality isn't that important with this uke, I just put a clear pickguard over it (picture is before applying the clear pickguard):
DSC02470.JPG

i was just wondering if anyone could recommend a film (like the kind that sticks to glass but doesn't adhere)

Jake signed mine in the same place and I have not had to do a thing to it. A year old now and it is still fine. Mike

piece of an email i got from john kitakis at pono.

Hi Brett, as for the signature, at most drug stores, or stationary office supplies you should be able to buy sheets of thin self adhesive clear plastic, I think for laminating documents or other paperwork. cut it to the size you need and apply. do it carefully so there is not too many air bubbles. and usually, in time the air bubbles will evaporate.
aloha, John

all set, got some "grafix laminate film, heavy weight" from an art supply store. made a template with a regular piece of paper, trimmed it a few times got it just right then traced it onto the paper backing of the film. looks great, sticks good, invisible...

Top Bottom