Sunday Morning Kamaka String Change

Mandarb

Reaction score
Well, like the title says - I changed the strings on my Kamaka yesterday (Sunday) morning. I took off the Kamaka strings that had been on for about 1 1/2 months. I put on a set of Aquilas. I was a little nervous since I have never changed strings before but everything went fine. It took about a 1/2 hour with a couple of small interruptions. I like the Aquilas on my Mainland but I am not sure if I like them yet on the Kamaka. However, they definitely feel better than the Kamaka strings. I ordered some various strings from Elderly Instruments this morning so I can try something different in a month or so.

Glad all went well for you. I'm not sure of the Fremont blacklines on my Kamaka concert either. They seem a little thin and hurt my fingers some. They may just need to break in a bit more. They definitely sound better than the stock strings which didn't really sound all that bad. MGM also has some trial packages with different strings. I'd like to try Worths sometime.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it went well! See, it's really not that hard. :p

I like Aquilas just fine.

In what way?? Sound or feel etc.

I like the feel of the Aquilas. I like the sound of them on my Mainland but not as much on the Kamaka. I know they are bright strings but they sound really bright on the Kamaka. That could just be that I am used to the stock strings that were on for about 1 1/2 months and they were kinda quiet.

I was thinking this must be the case! When I swapped the stock strings on my new Kamaka concert for Aquilas, the volume and brightness seemed to double. Personally, I like it :)

Yeah - I am getting used to them now. They do not sound bad but it was more of a change than I was initially expecting and I was expecting some change. Agreed - a lot more volume as well. I thought the uke sounded nice before but what a difference with new strings.

I have Worth clear mediums on my Kamaka concert; love them. Not as supercharged as Aquilas, but lots of ring.

Top Bottom