Just in case

It's hard to tell what is going on here. Can you give us a little background on this? It looks like there is an important lesson to learn but I can't tell what it is.

Had to be something that couldn't be fixed. That's koa and mahogany right? Bummer.

This just proves what I've always known:

...and always said, too. "Make sure it fits in a case!"

That's the top 3/4" of of a long and lean headstock. I liked the way it looked. Very pretty. Koa and African Spanish cedar. Sanded smooth. Spent a week pore filling it and letting the epoxy cure. Sanded smooth again. Shellac'd, sealered and another week spraying it with lacquer. Hung it up for another month or so to cure. Wet sanded down to 6000 grit. Buffed it. Polished it. Bolted it together and strung it up. Even 'played' it a little. Grabbed a case to stick it in over night and....guess what? Didn't fit.:wallbash:

Thus another lesson learned the hard way. Any bets I don't do that again? Painful as it was I still had to laugh out loud a little before going and chopping it off.

Steve

Last edited:
I did the same thing with a mandolin years ago. Tried to make a custom case for it- probably would have been easier to use your solution

Think I would have been tempted to cut a hole in the case (made a cupola).
Just glad it wasn't something more serious .... that red saw blade and slightly red blotches on the plywood base had me worried for a minute.

Last edited:
I did the same to my Ohana sopranino. Had the same headstock as the sopranos, which I thought was way to big for the rest of the uke. Plugged the tuner holes and installed violin tuners and that got the weight down. It got a lot better, but I still don't like it. Gave it to my daughter as soon as she asked for it.

Sven

Top Bottom