If Ukulele is tuned F Bb C G

fleetfox

Reaction score
If I have ukulele in the tuning of F Bb C G how would I play an F, Bb, C and G as chords...

You could do 0202, 0023, 2100, and 2120. I'm not sure if that's the right notation or anything. You just need to make sure you get the notes F A C , Bb D F, C E G, and G B D in the chords. BTW, great name.

Last edited:
F: 0202
Bb: 0023
C: 2245
G: 2120

Now why, if I may ask, do you want to tune your ukulele to F Bb C G? ;)

If I have ukulele in the tuning of F Bb C G how would I play an F, Bb, C and G as chords...

I think you mean F Bb D G, which is GCEA tuning, but one whole step lower.

If this is indeed the case, then the fingering for any chord with the new tuning will give a "real" chord one whole step lower, e.g., if you finger a G, it will really be an F; if you finger a C, it will really be a Bb; if you finger a D it will really be a C; if you finger an A, it will really be a G. Make sense?

If however, you really do mean F Bb C G, then you'll have to work it out yourself :)

If this is indeed the case, then the fingering for any chord with the new tuning will give a "real" chord one whole step lower, e.g., if you finger a G, it will really be an F; if you finger a C, it will really be a Bb; if you finger a D it will really be a C; if you finger an A, it will really be a G. Make sense?

If however, you really do mean F Bb C G, then you'll have to work it out yourself :)

I thought also he meant dropping it a step....for a mellower tone...
I play mine at F#-30/-40, B-30/-40, D#-40, G#-40/-50.....

Last edited:
This is the tuning tenors used back in the day (as they say).
Compared to todays popular GCEA
Sopranos were ADF#B up a step and Tenors were down a step.
It gave an Ukulele Orchestra different voices.

I tend to tune my performance uke, when I do solo vocals, about 1/2 step down:
F#, B, Eb, Ab.

My voice is at a lower register (Baritone?) so GCEA tends to be just a bit 'high' for me.
Either that or I'll be playing in Bb or E. Not conducive to simple fingering of chords.

Keep uke'in',

F: 0202
Bb: 0023
C: 2245
G: 2120

Now why, if I may ask, do you want to tune your ukulele to F Bb C G? ;)

It's F Bb D G, not C. Because the easy chords are then Bb, Eb, F, Ab, C, G, and those are the main keys horns play in. So if you want to play
along with a clariniet player, say, your easy keys are his easy keys.

Last edited:
This is the tuning tenors used back in the day (as they say).
Compared to todays popular GCEA
Sopranos were ADF#B up a step and Tenors were down a step.
It gave an Ukulele Orchestra different voices.

I tune A D F# B low to high B with a low A on my Martin tenor. That makes it easiest for me to play ukulele with guitar players. I also play a tenor banjo tuned F Bb D G so I can play dixieland with horn players.

F Bb D G

If you'll buy a tenor banjo and put 5-string banjo strings on it, (save the fifth string as an extra first string, since they are the same guage) tune it F Bb D G, low to high, then find a trumpet player, a trombone player, a clarinet player, a tuba player and a piano player, say, kids from a local high school band, you can get yourself up a New Orleans type dixieland band. All you have to do is get hold of some dixieland sheet music. You'll just have to transpose all the chords on the chord sheet. Why not?

Top Bottom