Cheap pineapples for under $100?

ytmr

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I need help finding a pineapple ukulele, preferably under $100 as I'm pretty tight right now. As some of you might know, my mum bought me my new uke, and she's been asking me if I could teach her a couple of chords and stuff, and I was thinking of getting my mum a uke for Christmas. She seemed to really like the pineapple shape when we were at the shop, but remarked that the Kala Silkscreen ukes looked too much like toys. Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!

hi ytmr

if you look at the UU online store, there's a Kamoa EP Pineapple uke, made from (what looks like) mahogany for $99!!!

Right in your price range...haven't played one myself but others maybe able to review it for you.

(great idea to get your mum a uke for Christmas...a hobby you can enjoy together:))

Happy shopping!!!

Last edited:
just checked the online shop again...there's a short review and test run there by Samuel Bonanno...sure makes it sound good!!! I say go for it!

That looks pretty sweet, but unfortunately, I'll have to deal with a hefty shipping cost from the States ): That would totally blow me out of budget. Darn. The Kala and Makala ones look pretty decent, any idea how they sound?

I have a version that your mom thinks look like toys :)
I believe, minus the silkscreening, they are both the same. My pineapple sounds very wonderful so I'm guessing the plain one would as well.*

Though you may have already thought about/done this, and sometimes videos don't do justice, here's a video of one being played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz3bLHt9CBU&feature=related (fast forward a bit past the talking)

Hopefully it's at least a little helpful.

[*Feel free to correct me, more experienced players.]

Most likely any $100 uke you buy won't have great strings attached. My experience is that even a lower quality uke will sound a lot better with good strings. Invest a few extra bucks in a good set and throw 'em on whatever uke you buy. It'll sound great and mom will be thrilled!

Most likely any $100 uke you buy won't have great strings attached. My experience is that even a lower quality uke will sound a lot better with good strings. Invest a few extra bucks in a good set and throw 'em on whatever uke you buy. It'll sound great and mom will be thrilled!

I was thinking I might get the Makala and put some Aquilas on them. I have a cheap Mahalo that sounds decent with aquilas. I think I got lucky, haha!

My Makala pineapple (my first uke) is strung with aquila strings and still sounds great. It feels like you need to spend a fair bit more then that to actually notice that much of a sound difference.

Check out the video that JoeyB just posted. She's playing a luna pineapple tattoo, they are well in your price range, the luna's come with aquila strings and sound decent. She's in the UK too, I am certain she can tell you where she got it!

Kala, Lanikai or Luna in that price range

You're right, fitncrafty. I'd already forgotten about the pineapple Luna I strummed the other night. And it does come with Aguilas on it. Good lookin... sounded good... and only $69... what a steal!

I wonder what's the shipping cost from the UK to Singapore... Here we have a distributor of Kala so it's easier to buy.. Most likely I'll be going with the Makala instead of the Kala Pineapple

I wonder what's the shipping cost from the UK to Singapore... Here we have a distributor of Kala so it's easier to buy.. Most likely I'll be going with the Makala instead of the Kala Pineapple

I got the Luna off eBay for £62 with £7 next day delivery, I think it's about £15 shipping to Singapore, I can find out the seller if you're interested :D

I have the Kala KA-PSS and love it, I've also played the KA-P and the Makala MK-P and for the money they are hard to beat, I actually like the sound of the Makala better but the Kala is probably a bit more durable. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. See if your local dealer sets them up, the set up on these cheaper ukes is pretty important.

I was thinking I might get the Makala and put some Aquilas on them. I have a cheap Mahalo that sounds decent with aquilas. I think I got lucky, haha!

I have the Makala in concert with aquila strings and it sounds really good!!! I would think the Makala Pineapple woud also sound good with the aquila strings!

Oscar Schmidt recently came out with a nice looking pineapple for under $100. Not sure about shipping. Might be an OS dealer in your area? good luck Lozark

Top Bottom