Molokai Slide Cover on Ukulele

joeybug

Reaction score

Okay, so I know it's not as good as it could be, but have you ever gotten to the point with a song where you've done as much as you can on it and the rest be damned? I'm at the point with this song, because try as I may I just can't get it right, so advice would be really appreciated!

I hope you aren't assaulted by the bad playing!

Joey

hey Joey

I had to smile when I heard you running out of breath a couple'a times...cause that's exactly what happens to me when I sing that song!!! Too many years of smoking I reckon.

And yes mate, ! do know that feeling very well...a bit like this :wallbash:

What I've found that helps me is to just put the song down for a few days, even a week or two, then come back to it fresh...all of a sudden the rhythm seems to flow better and it starts to make sense more. I think that when you get that close to a song and so absorbed in it, the pure determination to get on top of it can get a little destructive...sometimes you need to step back and get a fresh perspective. For me this happens often in the process of songwriting. It's amazing how a few days away just clears the head and creates a better space to work in.

You mentioned the strumming...having difficulty with the upstroke. I'm no teacher mate but maybe could suggest a couple of things. First try and relax your wrist a little...still looks a little stiff to me...just wring it out before you start to play a few times...stay relaxed. Also maybe try using your index finger a little and brushing back up on the strings with that...let your wrist move in time with the rhythm and flow of the song. That sometimes helps you to find a "natural" strumming rhythm. And maybe look at some of the tutorials here at the UU and online re strumming technique.

I know its hard, but try and be patient mate!!! Remember you've only been playing this thing these past few weeks! to me it seems your progress is going really fast...see the positives in your playing too!!! We are all still struggling to overcome one deficiency or another in our playing, whether we have been playing for 5 weeks or fifty years. :eek:

Many blessings mate. Loving watching your progress and your passion for the beautiful uke, and sharing it with us. eugene

hey Joey

I had to smile when I heard you running out of breath a couple'a times...cause that's exactly what happens to me when I sing that song!!! Too many years of smoking I reckon.

And yes mate, ! do know that feeling very well...a bit like this

What I've found that helps me is to just put the song down for a few days, even a week or two, then come back to it fresh...all of a sudden the rhythm seems to flow better and it starts to make sense more. I think that when you get that close to a song and so absorbed in it, the pure determination to get on top of it can get a little destructive...sometimes you need to step back and get a fresh perspective. For me this happens often in the process of songwriting. It's amazing how a few days away just clears the head and creates a better space to work in.

You mentioned the strumming...having difficulty with the upstroke. I'm no teacher mate but maybe could suggest a couple of things. First try and relax your wrist a little...still looks a little stiff to me...just wring it out before you start to play a few times...stay relaxed. Also maybe try using your index finger a little and brushing back up on the strings with that...let your wrist move in time with the rhythm and flow of the song. That sometimes helps you to find a "natural" strumming rhythm. And maybe look at some of the tutorials here at the UU and online re strumming technique.

I know its hard, but try and be patient mate!!! Remember you've only been playing this thing these past few weeks! to me it seems your progress is going really fast...see the positives in your playing too!!! We are all still struggling to overcome one deficiency or another in our playing, whether we have been playing for 5 weeks or fifty years. :eek:

Many blessings mate. Loving watching your progress and your passion for the beautiful uke, and sharing it with us. eugene

Thanks for the feedback, eugene :D I'm doing a technique at the moment where I just strum up and down and don't play chords and just don't think about it until it gets boring, then I do something else and go back to it eventually, it does seem to be working, I'll get there, eventually...

As for the running out of breath - I'm still getting better from this chest infection so my breathing is still outta whack! I've put the song in my folder to come back to at some point when it's less frustrating :wallbash:

Glad to see you posting again, take care :D

Glad you're nearly over the infection mate. As a community, we've been concerned for you. It's funny, of the few videos I've watched of people doing the Moloka'i Slide, most of them run out of breath!!! Lots of words in a small space...definately not a "smoker friendly" or "chest infection friendly" vocal! That strumming technique you're using Joey is a good one I reckon. Keep doing the up and down strum until it becomes second nature...then you can direct your energies into working the chord changes in...

Aloha Joey,
Thank you for sharing the song for us and your progress....enjoyed it....I think Bruddah Eugene had some good points there....Sometimes when we try so hard that we get fustrated and have
this mental block, and we are not able to overcome it....take a rest and start fresh another day....I remember when I used to bowl and I used to get fustrated and I quit for a few weeks then went
back and did alot better....I believe that when I went back, I remembered the basics and left out the all the bad techniques I had aquired.. As for you strumming, remember when the nurse used
to take your temperture in the old days with the themometer, they used to shake it first.....from side to side...Now pick up your pencil or pen and do that same motion a few times....it's the same
one used in strumming...now transfer it over to your strumming.....to Keep the rhythm, try to sing and tap your feet to that beat, then follow along with that same rhythm with your strumming..
Keep practicing and that natural motion of strumming and it will dictate your up and down motion that will soon become natural. As for strumming, start off slow up and down strums, and
just concentrate on the evenness on all the strings and practice...when you've think your gotten a hang of it increase you strumming speed slowly.... I hope it helps and Let me know if you need
assistance and or clarification...or more help, I'll be glad to help you anytime, just ask!!! Have Fun and Enjoy!!! "Keep strumming them strings" BTW loved your singing!! MM Stan..
P.S. another thing I do when strumming, I try to strum by the frets, and in a specific fret and my index finger goes in a diagonal angle within that fret...strumming...and you''ll find that angle for playing.

Last edited:

Joey as eugene ukulele said. We all struggle in some ways, i know i do.. and its a very frustrating thing when your trying so hard to achieve something that seems so simple for some but you just can't grasp it for some reason..
I've been watching your videos since you started posting on here and i love watching how your progressing, and in my opinion your progressing fine, everyone is differnt and learn at differnt rates and i like yours its a nice steady progression which is only getting better..

As for strumming, i use to practice strumming with out my guitar (back in the day as such, before i saw the light, which was ukulele shaped by the way). Sort of like air guitar i suppose either on the side on my leg or my belly, just practicing me ups and downs and differnt rythems, and by doing that i could tell how much pressure i was putting on my leg or belly with the up and down strumms and then use that when i was back on my guitar.. It seemed to help me and i find myself still doing that know days here and there with out realising. :)

Like i said your getting there, and you allready have the bonus of that lovely singing voice which somepeople never get..

Keep on strummin :)

Last edited:
Aloha Joey,
Thank you for sharing the song for us and your progress....enjoyed it....I think Bruddah Eugene had some good points there....Sometimes when we try so hard that we get fustrated and have
this mental block, and we are not able to overcome it....take a rest and start fresh another day....I remember when I used to bowl and I used to get fustrated and I quit for a few weeks then went
back and did alot better....I believe that when I went back, I remembered the basics and left out the all the bad techniques I had aquired.. As for you strumming, remember when the nurse used
to take your temperture in the old days with the themometer, they used to shake it first.....from side to side...Now pick up your pencil or pen and do that same motion a few times....it's the same
one used in strumming...now transfer it over to your strumming.....to Keep the rhythm, try to sing and tap your feet to that beat, then follow along with that same rhythm with your strumming..
Keep practicing and that natural motion of strumming and it will dictate your up and down motion that will soon become natural. As for strumming, start off slow up and down strums, and
just concentrate on the evenness on all the strings and practice...when you've think your gotten a hang of it increase you strumming speed slowly.... I hope it helps and Let me know if you need
assistance and or clarification...or more help, I'll be glad to help you anytime, just ask!!! Have Fun and Enjoy!!! "Keep strumming them strings" BTW loved your singing!! MM Stan..
P.S. another thing I do when strumming, I try to strum by the frets, and in a specific fret and my index finger goes in a diagonal angle within that fret...strumming...and you''ll find that angle for playing.

I do plan to keep on with the just strumming up and down without chords and when I feel more confident with it, I'll move onto putting chords and then songs into that mix. I'll probably come back to the Molokai Slide then when I'm feeling less :wallbash: about it! Thanks for the advice!

Joey as eugene ukulele said. We all struggle in some ways, i know i do.. and its a very frustrating thing when your trying so hard to achieve something that seems so simple for some but you just can't grasp it for some reason..
I've been watching your videos since you started posting on here and i love watching how your progressing, and in my opinion your progressing fine, everyone is differnt and learn at differnt rates and i like yours its a nice steady progression which is only getting better..

As for strumming, i use to practice strumming with out my guitar (back in the day as such, before i saw the light, which was ukulele shaped by the way). Sort of like air guitar i suppose either on the side on my leg or my belly, just practicing me ups and downs and differnt rythems, and by doing that i could tell how much pressure i was putting on my leg or belly with the up and down strumms and then use that when i was back on my guitar.. It seemed to help me and i find myself still doing that know days here and there with out realising.

Like i said your getting there, and you allready have the bonus of that lovely singing voice which somepeople never get..

Keep on strummin

Thanks for your praise! It's nice to know people are seeing an improvement, I will keep plodding on with just strumming up and down until I feel more confident and then add in chords and songs. I don't think I sing that well to be honest, but it's nice to hear that some people don't think it sounds like cats!

I shall keep practising and try to be patient!

Hi Joeybug, that was darn good for a song that is not beginner material. Your playing is getting better with each post and of course the singing is spot on. I think Eugene is onto something with your strumming and switching to your index finger for the down strum.
DAP

Hi Joeybug, that was darn good for a song that is not beginner material. Your playing is getting better with each post and of course the singing is spot on. I think Eugene is onto something with your strumming and switching to your index finger for the down strum.
DAP

Thanks, will try to use my index finger, I found before that it got caught in the strings when strumming which is why I use my thumb :D

Thanks, will try to use my index finger, I found before that it got caught in the strings when strumming which is why I use my thumb :D
Try and tilt your finger slightly, so up or down you are pulling your finger tip across the strings. And as relaxed as possible. My index is kind of "floppy" and loose as I strum. Of course I have large hands & long arms. Being we're not twins my technique may not work for you. You'll find your strum. I reiterate, you are making great improvement each time I see your posts. I am encouraged by your improvement cuz at the moment I am not seeing the same with myself. I guess I'm looking for a "breakthrough" so I can move on to more learning, at the moment I've kind of hit a wall. Thanks so much for sharing your learning experience:)
DAP

Last edited:
Try and tilt your finger slightly, so up or down you are pulling your finger tip across the strings. And as relaxed as possible. My index is kind of "floppy" and loose as I strum. Of course I have large hands & long arms. Being we're not twins my technique may not work for you. You'll find your strum. I reiterate, you are making great improvement each time I see your posts. I am encouraged by your improvement cuz at the moment I am not seeing the same with myself. I guess I'm looking for a "breakthrough" so I can move on to more learning, at the moment I've kind of hit a wall. Thanks so much for sharing your learning experience:)
DAP

I'll give it a go, right now I'd like a breakthrough in this essay I'm writing..must stop getting distracted and must resist urge to play Ukulele! Thanks for the advice, I was never here ;)

I'll give it a go, right now I'd like a breakthrough in this essay I'm writing..must stop getting distracted and must resist urge to play Ukulele! Thanks for the advice, I was never here ;)

Oh NO Joey!! You are sounding like me yesterday! (and the day before) and probably this afternoon too!! :) get that essay done girl!! Then you can strum!!!

Oh NO Joey!! You are sounding like me yesterday! (and the day before) and probably this afternoon too!! :) get that essay done girl!! Then you can strum!!!

I've written over half now...just back to try and write the next 739 words needed...then I can play, must not play, must resist urge to strum!!!

Hey JoeyB

This link any use to you??? pineapple pete.

Think positive, and relax... it'll be ok and a buzz when you get it.... now go have some fun!!!!!!!

Will have a look at it, thanks!

Top Bottom