Uke Shops on the Big island

pwcgecko

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am heading to the Big Island for Thanksgiving? anyone have any recommendations on uke shops or sell/buy shops that might have a used Kamaka? Not that I need one, but if I stumble upon a bargain. well you know.

I also saw the HOLUALOA UKULELE GALLERY, i was going to stop by and check it out when I am there.

Hilo Guitar and Ukulele is our favorite!

See this post for Uke/Music Shops in the 808.

Hilo Guitar and ask for Brian...he will take good care of you!!

OR...bring me along with you and I will take you there personally!!!!

Have a great trip!

Hilo Guitars won't have anything used but is probably the best music store on the Island. Likewise with The Ukulele Gallery in Holualua as they carry only ukes built by our builders' guild members. Even if you're not looking for anything new, it's fun looking anyway.

So, I'm kinda stupid when it comes to the geography of Hawaii ("Big Island," etc.). I will be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a few days in April. From what I understand there is a uke shop on the hotel grounds...any others I should know about? I'm going to be with family who, although supportive of my uke obsession, aren't too interested in it themselves. Therefore, any stores would have to be within walking distance of the hotel as it would most likely be just me visiting the stores to feed my habit.

So, I'm kinda stupid when it comes to the geography of Hawaii ("Big Island," etc.). I will be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a few days in April. From what I understand there is a uke shop on the hotel grounds...any others I should know about? I'm going to be with family who, although supportive of my uke obsession, aren't too interested in it themselves. Therefore, any stores would have to be within walking distance of the hotel as it would most likely be just me visiting the stores to feed my habit.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is on the island of Oahu. Lucky you, there is no shortage of uke stores there including the three big K factories to visit. I was there last year during Thanksgiving, but I wasn't playing the uke at the time.

The OP will be on the island of Hawaii and you'll be on the island of Oahu. Ukulele Pua Pua has two locations on Kalakaua Ave (Waikiki's main drag). You should be in walking distance from the Hilton. We used to park at one end, usually closer to the Honolulu Zoo and walk in.
Ukulele Puapua
2490 Kalakaua Ave # 19 A
Honolulu, HI 96815
(Pacific Beach Hotel)
(808) 924-2266

Sheraton Waikiki Hotel 1F
2255 Kalakaua Ave. #18
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
(808) 922-4422
http://ukulele.pua2.com/

I always stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and that uke shop is a rip off. Plus, there is a nasty sales lady there who will treat you like a thief. Go to Pua Pua for a great selection. Also, catch The Bus for a short ride to one of the "K" factories, and I believe that there is a trolley that stops at the Kamaka factory, not sure about KoAloha.
The HHH is a fantastic place to stay!!!! I will be there in August for a couple of days on my way to Maui.

Aloha!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll make sure to stop at PuaPua.

Don't forget to call the local pawn shops. Many of them deal heavily in pawned ukes. Of course there is no warranty. If you're on the Big Island, don't forget to take in the Chuck Moore gallery. I heard there were a few OK ukes there.:drool:

Top Bottom