Powertab question

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
i have seen the program powertab into ukulele format, but i dont know how to make it that. any help? also, since the program can read the tabs, can it also transpose them to uke?

Not sure this is what you are looking for, but when you make a new file the New Power Tab File box appears and you can set the number of strings for the score. Then, go to the Guitar menu and click Setup. In the popup window, look for the "Load Tuning" button under the string note settings and find Ukulele. In my version there's a C- and D-tuning to choose.

Transposing... looks like it might be a bit difficult, but I could be wrong. 6 to 4 strings, all that stuff... then again, read the Help file and see what can and can't be done. The program takes some time to get into, that's for sure. I am curious to see what the tab-pros bring into this query.

been a little while since I used powertab (using tuxguitar now), but UkeNinja pretty much has it down for you -- one thing though, I seem to remember that (in addition to what UkeNinja advised you about specifying the strings/values) you also have to right-click the left side of the staff and tell it to only show 4 strings as it defaults to six (this seems like double work, so maybe newer versions have finally gotten wise).

and as far as transposing from guitar to uke, not gonna happen, the data is not stored as notes, but as strings/frets. but not too tough to transpose it manually, just a kinda time consuming.

have fun!

it probably can't transport to ukulele tabs, not sure how to set it to ukulele, i just open the files and it goes to ukulele [=

I hope this can help. Please correct anything that you might see incorrect. But this is what I do. I hope this can help someone.

untitled.jpg

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Cliff/nanas... but it took you three posts to say what I did in one paragraph :D

...or perhaps it was too oldskool... you know... words an sentences vs. pictures and bright colors... ;)

ya...i'm starting to learn that people don't like reading these days...even if you paint them a picture they probably won't understand, lol.

but ya, it's exactly what you said. Give Ninja some karma!

Anyone know if PowerTab still works in Vista?

what's a vcr?

but if you take a picture of it and I'll give you a tutorial! but it seems like it would be more of a history lesson.

what's a vcr?

but if you take a picture of it and I'll give you a tutorial! but it seems like it would be more of a history lesson.

here ya go -- i'm told i can pipe the sound thru my record player if I can come up with a soldering iron and a hammer :p

3300.jpg

j/k -- have fun!

Last edited:
I get inquires about this now and then and I usually just send my PT ukulele template to folks via email. I will attach it here for those that need it. My template is setup for high G in C6 tuning. When I start a new tab I just call it up and start tabbing away or change the tuning if it is low G or some other tuning.

The forum won't handle .ptb files so I zipped it.
Hope it works.

Attachments

• ukulele_template.zip
    422 bytes · Views: 8
Dom, you the man as usual! I was looking at your properties in your template, and they all come up (A4-E4-C4-G4) is this the C6 tuning you are talking about? My knowledge in musical theory is something to be desired.

If I were to attempt Low G, do I just change my properties to A4-E4-C4-G3? Or is the G even lower than that?

Thanks in advance (yet again) for aiding in my ukulele growth.

EDIT: I ANSWERED MY QUESTION BY OPENING ONE OF YOUR LOW G TABS

Low G Tuning is: A4-E4-C4-G2

Last edited:
Cool. One thing though. I'm sure there are differing opinions but the more widely used format would be to list the strings in the reverse order from what you used. G4, C4, E4, A4.

And as an example: If I were to put a chord shape into a discussion like this I would indicate a C chord like this 0003 (not 3000).

Top Bottom