tab to music notation

lozarkman

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a software or program that transcribes tab to music notation. Or is that a too complicated process? I don't read tabs and read/play only from music notation and would love to be able to paste in tab and get music notation. Free/share ware by chance? Lozark

I use guitar pro 5. I just downloaded the new gp6, but have not had much chance to use it.
There is a free program called Tux Guitar that is pretty good as well.
The GP5/6 has a few features Tux does not and it is reasonably priced at $60.

PowerTab Editor generates standard notation along with tab and it's free, but I don't think you can just paste in the tab, and inputting it by hand would be a lot of work. You can also import midi files with it.

TablEdit (not free) does both as well. They do offer a free viewer.

yes, I have power tab and use it occasionally, and am looking at Tux Guitar, but it seems to be pretty much along the line of power tab. It is a lot of work to input tab number by number and then adjust everything as to note time and other inserts. I doubt there is such a thing as paste tab conversion. Probably too many variables to be addressed. Was just wondering if I have missed something that someone is using. Thanks!! Lozark I have used notation all my life and it just so much easier for me to translate notation to fretboard than tabs. BUT there are a lot of tab renditions of songs available that are difficult to find free notation for. Just lazy I guess :)

I just went on Dogpile and searched "tab converter" and got this link:

http://www.8notes.com/tab/

if your tabs are in printed form you'd probably still have to enter them, but entering tabs should be easier than converting them yourself. Once they're in you can get a MIDI file.

Also, have you heard of ABC format? It's something I ran across at "The Sessions" where sheet music notation is converted down to a text file. It was created way back when text files were measurably faster to send via e-mail.

Anyway, if your music is available in ABC you can find a converter at www.concertina.net

But really, my advice is to learn to use tabs yourself, make your brain the converter. If you do it regularly, it will become easy. I fought off transposing but eventually had to work with it enough so now it's easy, easier than messing around with programs.

I have used notation all my life and it just so much easier for me to translate notation to fretboard than tabs. BUT there are a lot of tab renditions of songs available that are difficult to find free notation for.
I've read standard notation all my life as well, but I couldn't wrap my peabrain around the notes being different than guitar, so I learned tab. That said, I much prefer tabs that include a line of standard notation as well, or at least tabs that have stems indicating note values. I don't like plain text tabs, as you basically have to already be familiar with the song to be able to play it.

Thanks itsme for all the input. I am an older fellow (72) and have played piano for 65 years and have become so accustomed to notation that I have resisted learning tabs, and made myself learn fretboard notation and music notation is easy for me for songs I have or find with notation. So, I have resisted learning tab for that reason. BUT you are right. I have been playing Uke for 3 years and love my ukes, and don't play piano nearly as much anymore. SO, I will put some effort into tab and see what happens. Thanks!! Lozark

. That said, I much prefer tabs that include a line of standard notation as well, or at least tabs that have stems indicating note values. I don't like plain text tabs, as you basically have to already be familiar with the song to be able to play it.

Agree. Notation provides so much more info, tabs only leave much to be desired. Sort of like paint by number without the paint.

But really, my advice is to learn to use tabs yourself, make your brain the converter.

Agreed. This is actually the fastest and easiest way to do the "conversion." If you can already read standard notation, then tablature will be a lead pipe cinch. (It's the easier of the two to learn.)

JJ

Top Bottom